Decisions: TL vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Decisions: TL vs. TSX

Just so you know, I posted the same exact thread on the TL sub-category, but I want all your opinions/experiences too.

I'm new to Acurazine, but I've been hanging out over at TSXclub.com because I've been looking at upgrading my 98 Prelude to a TSX. However, they seem to be pretty hard to come by (I'm looking specifically for an 06-08 TSX 6 speed, preferably black interior, with under 100,000 miles - yeah, so I'm picky).

Since the TSXs seem hard to come by, I'm thinking about broadening my search a bit to include 04-08 TLs with the same qualifications (6 speed, etc.) Anyway, I posted the same thread over at TSXclub to get their perspective on the differences between the TSX and the TL, but now I want to do the same thing here to get your perspective. Let me know what you think...

By the way, I'm in Pensacola, FL.

I was able to drive an auto version of the TSX and the TL, and I like the TL I drove much more. Overall it felt more solid and quality. I loved the slight growl/vibration that the V6 had just idling...it felt good coming from my 4 cyl Prelude. It seemed to handle pretty flat, although I didn't get to push it hard - just normal driving around town. And I really enjoyed having some extra torque on tap. But overall it just felt really big.

The TSX I drove, just to be fair, had been in at least one accident, and it had some other mechanical issues, so it may not have been a fair comparison. But Like I said, it was all I could find in the area to test drive. The car definitely fit me better, and it felt lighter, but it seemed to have a lot of body roll. I've been told that the 6 speed has stiffer suspension than the automatic, so that may be fixed if I could just find a manual to drive. It wasn't real gutsy, but I'm not expecting that in the TSX. I know it'll be a little slower than my Prelude. And the interior just seemed a little more chintzy, but still well thought out.

Anyway, I don't mean to drag this on.

TL: I like the power, the solid feel that it has, and it has plenty of room to grow with me/my family.

TSX: I like it's weight and size, gas mileage, and it's aftermarket (also, there seem to be more forums on the TSX), and it's simplicity (I4 is easier to work on than V6, and I do all of my own work on cars).

Let me know what your opinions are on the two cars!

-Seth
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Both cars are great choices and very close in price depending on year and mileage. My 06 TSX has been trouble free since I purchased new almost 8 years ago (now have +110,000 miles). My son is driving her as his daily driver for high school.

I always liked the 06-08 TSX, with or without Navi. There shouldn't be much or any price difference with the Navi because of the age of the TSX (TSX interior looks better with the Navi). Gas mileage wise, both the TL and TSX return similar mpgs, at-least not a big enough difference to pick one over the other because of mpg.

The only downside to the TSX is no matter how much $$$ you spend on mods, it will still only be just as fast as an V-6 Altima/Camry/Accord driven by a blue haired old lady. I have the Aspec suspension and Progress RSB which already improves its superb handling. You have to plan your moves because of lower power output of the TSX. I have an RDX with Hondata+ETS intercooler and the extra power makes it so much easier to drive around town and hwy; point, shoot and hang on with the RDX.

I love my TSX; but, if you have a need for speed, I would stick with the TL. I think the TL was the volume leader during those years and you can find what you are looking for if you expand the search area (Carmax will ship cars). You will see some real benefits from adding a supercharger, Intake, header and exhaust to 3.2L along with suspension/brake mods to the TL.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
old ladies have blue hair!?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Went through the same thing and ended up with the TSX. The TL had a SICK motor - loved the sound and grunt but I preferred the friskiness and more compact size of the TSX. Can't go wrong with either though.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with the TL. the TSX is a good car, but as stated above it just doesn't have enough power.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think it's as simple as that. Both cars are great. And naturally people who have their own biases...especially in this forum. I researched and drove TLs and TSXs (both auto and stick), before deciding and buying.

The thing that I always point out when this question is asked is that the first generation TSX won three Car & Driver magazine "Ten Best" awards. The TL has never won one, and was not in the larger group of cars nominated. (No Acura has won that award since, much less three times.) You can look up their praise for each awarded model year, but here's one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2006-10best-cars-2006-acura-tsx-page-2

As for the difference between the auto TSX and the stick, it is substantial and I'd suggest driving one, (one that has not been in an accident...as they are not loose at all, like the one you drove). The manual version is quicker. Not only does it allow better access to the VTEC high rev/power band, it is a lighter car. (Due to the magnesium transfer case). The stick version has a thicker rear sway bar than the auto, which is the suspension difference you noted.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 02-27-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
I don't think it's as simple as that. Both cars are great. And naturally people who have their own biases...especially in this forum. I researched and drove TLs and TSXs (both auto and stick), before deciding and buying.

The thing that I always point out when this question is asked is that the first generation TSX won three Car & Driver magazine "Ten Best" awards. The TL has never won one, and was not in the larger group of cars nominated. (No Acura has won that award since, much less three times.) You can look up their praise for each awarded model year, but here's one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2006-10best-cars-2006-acura-tsx-page-2

As for the difference between the auto TSX and the stick, it is substantial and I'd suggest driving one, (one that has not been in an accident...as they are not loose at all, like the one you drove). The manual version is quicker. Not only does it allow better access to the VTEC high rev/power band, it is a lighter car. (Due to the magnesium transfer case). The stick version has a thicker rear sway bar than the auto, which is the suspension difference you noted.
Yeah, that was the point someone else always brought up to me about the TSX. And in thinking about the reason behind it I would say it's probably simply because the TSX is the best in ITS CLASS of cars. Also I'm sure the price point and the fun to drive-factor had a lot to do with it.

As for quality and all around versatility the TL seems to be pretty close....at this point it's sounding like a lot of personal preference. And I've finally found a solution....

BUY BOTH!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CB900Fer
Yeah, that was the point someone else always brought up to me about the TSX. And in thinking about the reason behind it I would say it's probably simply because the TSX is the best in ITS CLASS of cars. Also I'm sure the price point and the fun to drive-factor had a lot to do with it.

As for quality and all around versatility the TL seems to be pretty close....at this point it's sounding like a lot of personal preference. And I've finally found a solution....

BUY BOTH!!!
Actually, the classes and categories were not created for the Car & Driver 10 Best awards until 2006. The TSX won the award twice before category had any bearing on what cars were nominated or won the award.

i.e., the TL and TSX were equally considered on their own merits in 2004 & 2005. The TSX came out on top, along with nine other cars.

They realized that certain types were winning all the awards, (lots of 2 seat sports cars, sports coupes, and sports sedans.) Hence they created more specific categories in 2006. In 2006, the TSX won "best sports sedan".

Regardless of what you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy your car.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 02-27-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced

That's good to know. Thank you for that insight. I knew they were different, I just wasn't sure how drastic it would be.

Actually, the classes and categories were not created for the Car & Driver 10 Best awards until 2006. The TSX won the award twice before category had any bearing on what cars were nominated or won the award.

i.e., the TL and TSX were equally considered on their own merits in 2004 & 2005. The TSX came out on top with 9 other cars.
Interesting. Thanks for the enlightenment
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced

So right now I've got the option for a 2006 TL base 6spd with only 43,000 miles for $13,800 which is 3 hours away, or a 2008 TSX 6spd with only 55,000 miles for about $12,000 which is 8 hours away.

I'm waiting on more information on both, but I'm so torn for a couple reasons:

TL: 1) TL has lower miles 2) Has a heftier feel (partially a good thing) 3) It's closer to me 4) BUT, it's stretching my budget

TSX: 1) Cheaper 2) Nimbler handling 3) BUT, I've never driven a 6spd TSX

I'm having a tough time deciding. Both are great values from what I've been researching, and both have great miles. I would be able to decide a lot quicker if only I would be to drive a 6spd TSX without going all the way out there. Both are in great shape, although the TL does have a scratched door that I might be able to buff out a little bit.

I'll keep y'all posted on what I find out. Feel free to leave your input

P.S. I'm leaning toward the TL...
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Well, I decided to go with the TL

You can read about it and see pictures here on post #39: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...2#post15001922

The main reason I decided to go with the TL (other than it being the only good deal available at the moment) was that I love the heft and power. Yes I like the nimble handling of the TSX (I got to drive an automatic that felt a lot better than the first one that I drove), but the TL will serve my purposes just fine. And after being squeezed into a Prelude for the past year I'm ready for something a little bigger.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

I still think the 04-08 TL is the best looking Acura they made during that time; especially, the 07-08 Type-S TL. Every-time I see a +09 TL from the rear, it looks like the car is smiling at me with the tail lights for eyes, Acura logo for a nose, and trunk metal trim making a smile. Creeps me out a little.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-09-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Racer

Congrats on your purchase! It looks great.

I drove both cars extensively before deciding...(I think that if you had been able to drive a 6 speed TSX, it would have changed your mind...it's quicker than the auto and is the version of the TSX that Car & Driver magazine fawned over with their "10 Best" awards.)

Regardless, you could not make a wrong decision. I'm sure you're going to thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TL and TSX are just different cars. It depends what you want. TL's are nicer cruiser cars. I love the width and the smoothness of the V6.

The TSX is sharper and better balanced as a driver's car. No torque steer. Puts power down well. Better transmissions (both auto and 6 spd).