Adding the OEM navigation to non-tech

Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Adding the OEM navigation to non-tech

Hi guys,
I am ordering new Accord Euro (in Europe) and it is the "Executive" version here. It has xenon, sunroof, leather, etc, but no navi+camera and no bluetooth (i think it is know as non-tech in the US?)

Is it possible to add the OEM big Honda navigation into it? I asked two dealers, one said "no" and one said "yes". The second one said, that they can replace the screen, add the reverse camera, add the bluetooth for about 2 000 USD (to the US money).

I am just thinking, if is really that "easy"? Because cars with navi has a bit different central console (bigger knob, more buttons, and the small info display for the radio), and this console will remain the same. Can the navi display radio, aircon, temp and other info which is displayed on the small original display in the console?

Thank you, I hope this can be done. I ordered this version, because I have a discount on it, and the "top executive" model with navi, LKAS and ACC is 20 000 USD more!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It is possible, since the whole console will include the screen and buttons. it is a whole piece, you will have to find the wiring harness. It has not been done for the TSX (Accord Euro) but has been done many times for the older TSX (the Euro-R/Accord) and the TL.

Here is Bzyrice's DIY thread on the TL Non-navigation to Navigation
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/im-soo-excited-just-completed-my-non-navi-navi-conversion-diy-included-747456/
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Do you mean installing the big Navi screen but no actual navi? Adding the navi will require installing the DVD unit in the boot as well as the shark fin receiver on the roof. I am not sure that can be done for US$2K.

You may need replacement steering controls as our bluetooth controls are on the steering wheel.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Do you mean installing the big Navi screen but no actual navi? Adding the navi will require installing the DVD unit in the boot as well as the shark fin receiver on the roof. I am not sure that can be done for US$2K.

You may need replacement steering controls as our bluetooth controls are on the steering wheel.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, yes, adding the DVD unit too. I think that the DVD unit is located in front of the gearstick.

kowloonsniperhk: are we thinking about the same?

This is the interior with navi

And this is without:

As you can see, the central console is not one piece as on the TL.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I understand what you mean, it seems like its going to be harder with the current Accord but its probably possible. It seems that the screen is a separate unit. You might have to find a mechanic manual on the Accord to really figure out what you need.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

The navi DVD unit for our TSX is located on the right hand side next to the seat release lever. And Kowloon is correct, the whole console will need to be replaced to have the necessary buttons and knobs inplace for the navi since it is not touch screen.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can be done if you replace every control unit in the car (HVAC, MICU, METER, FI) and like everyone has been saying basically the entire dash to a American version. The NAVI unit is located in the actual DVD player like HHCZ said. The NAVI unit on American models contains Acura Link, this system will display messages on the navigation menu to show descriptions of DTC's on the car, if any. This system talks to every control unit in the car to determine if any DTC's exhist. You will have plenty of DTC's if even one of those control units are the wrong destination type even canadian on an american model. Your MID, if your Accord has it, will be lit up with warnings all the time. As for bluetooth? If you replace the steering wheel and the center console, which is where the mic is located, and all the control units while doing your NAVI upgrade it will be possible. Good luck keeping it under $2K though. BTW the shark fin on the roof of the TSX is for XM radio. The GPS antenna is on the rear tray. Its a little black box next to the subwoofer.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^You are right, shark fin is for XM (which I don't subscribe due to lousy reception).

$2K is pretty cheap if you can have your dealer guarantee that price for the whole assembly and installation. In Canada, to purchase the camera assembly, navi unit and display assembly cost well over C$6K plus installation.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
hmm. interestinggg. what about, is it possible to just have the backup camera without the nav? or the two comes in a set
Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Do they not have a navi version in Europe? In the U.S. there is no way to do it with new factory parts for anywhere near that price. Also I don't know about warranty in Europe but in the U.S. if we did that to a car it would only have a 1 year warranty instead of the 4 year that comes with the car.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Instructor

Uhhh, sounds harder than I thought.

I am going to call the dealer again. He told me, that they did this conversion about 4 times. But it is strange, that he concretely told me (because I asked this) that the central console can stay and not be replaced. Interesting.

The other solution I saw on some photo was, that the original small non-tech display is moved in the place where the DVD unit should be (near the gear leaver) and in the blank space in the dash it was placed some aftermarket navigation. But I cannot imagine doing this under the warranty, where the first OEM conversion can be done by the dealer with no warranty issues.

BOOSTED09TSX: We have a navi version, but with the navi you HAVE to have also LKAS and ACC, and this version is a lot more expensive. My version is 27k, the top I mentioned above is about 50k. (without TAX)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HHCZ

BOOSTED09TSX: We have a navi version, but with the navi you HAVE to have also LKAS and ACC, and this version is a lot more expensive. My version is 27k, the top I mentioned above is about 50k. (without TAX)
Wow that is a huge price difference. If I remember I think the U.S. version is only a couple of thousand between the two. Also what is LKAS and ACC? I have not heard of thoes before.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
Wow that is a huge price difference. If I remember I think the U.S. version is only a couple of thousand between the two. Also what is LKAS and ACC? I have not heard of thoes before.
The standard list price of my "Executive" version is 47k, the "top executive" I mentioned above is 58k. Now I have a great discount on "executive" for 27k, the "top" could be reduced to that 50k but no less.

The LKAS is Lane Keeping Assist System = the car has a small camera and from 70-180 km/h it can help you stay in your lane, if there are lines on the road. You have to have your hands on the steering wheel, but the car do I think about 80% of the force of your arms for you. When you change the line without the indicators on, I think it also vibrates into the steering wheel.

ACC is the Active Cruise Control = classic Distronic from MB and many others, the car can adjust its speed if any slower car is in front of you. (this also comes with the Mitigation system, where the car automatically brake if it is necessary before crash)

We have those specs in Europe: Comfort < Elegance < Executive < Top Executive. The problem is that you cannot have almost any option extra, and modify the car in any way. Those specs are also different from the specific country. Do you want bluetooth? Ok, you have to have Top Executive and double the price. No other way

Last edited by HHCZ; 12-10-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
Do they not have a navi version in Europe? In the U.S. there is no way to do it with new factory parts for anywhere near that price. Also I don't know about warranty in Europe but in the U.S. if we did that to a car it would only have a 1 year warranty instead of the 4 year that comes with the car.
I've seen some 2nd gen navi systems on ebay. Never really took note of the prices though since I was browsing for the areo kit.

The conversion from non-navi to navi is almost impossible. It would require a completely different wiring harness for the entire vehicle and lots of work removing pretty much the entire dash/console and interior I studied the differences in part numbers and wiring diagrams since I wanted to know if wiring was in place for the rear passenger speakers in the doors. The part numbers came up different between the navi and non-navi.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor

The Lkas sound pretty cool. I didn't even think about the ACC, we have that on our RL's here in the states. All of thoes options would make a little the price more reasonable.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
This is going to be a lot of work, and i think its cheaper to buy the car equipped with nav in the first place.
to convert, you need to buy,
1. The console with the nav screen.
2. The steering wheel + airbag, unless you are switching them over.
3. all the wirings necessary.
4. lots of hard labor.
5. oh and the back up camera too.
wonder if i missed anything, but it sounds like a lot of work and money to me.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi!

I am also from Europe.
Portugal by the way.

I have the Accord Executive Advance 2.2 Idtec engine.
I have LKAS system

I just dont have the Navi system.
I already got the NAVI system on ebay from a broken Accord.

I already got:
- The LCD screen
- The complete central Dash
- The 6 Cd Box
- The DVD SAT NAV reader for the back.

I have all this material stopped at 2 months because:
- i am still trying to get more information about the conversion.
- I know i am missing the GPS antenna
- Harness wiring is different

I have been talking with the GURU for these conversions that i think all the guys here in the forum know him

Martin!

He is a really nice guy and very busy.

If you want add me on the gmail

vapochilled.r@gmail.com

Martin requested 500usd for the harness + GPS antenna.
He does this harness conversion, and i just need to plugin everything.

However its kinda risky! And i am still wondering...

By the way.. i have a very good deal!!
500 usd for every parts )))))))

This is my car:

vapochilled.centelia.net

Cheers

Ricardo
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Hi Rebound! Thats a fu*king deal, 1000 USD for everything! Keep posting about the conversion, let's do it, when you have all the material bro!
It is also interesting, how the specs in every country are different...
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

HHCZ

Did you saw the webpage?

Thats my ride. I will pick the Sport Kit OEM next week!
Its a lot of money, but i hit the wall in the front and back and requested the insurence for new bumpers

Now i only need to pay the difference to the sporty ones hehhe

If you really want to go forward with that i can try to help.
I will send my connectors to Martin and he will send me the full converted harness. I just need to plug it
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor

sure, I saw your webpage. Looks great and I cannot wait to everything finished and working.

I am only guessing about the warranty? I think that the dealer will not put any stuff from wrecked war in...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Correct!
Honda refused to perform the installation.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can the navi display radio, aircon, temp and other info which is displayed on the small original display in the console?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytd9sjHjA2U
Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Instructor

thats nice, but how it can be useful? I see some laptop processing the data, better to send those info to the OEM display

I spoke to another dealer, they told me "the conversion cannot be done, but of course some maniac could do it" (haha Rebound )
Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced

thats nice, but how it can be useful?
This is a necessary step in creating an entertainment system for non navi version. The concept envisages the replacement of the factory monochrome LCD on the color monitor PC (OEM display). Or install a ready solution. For example Viliv X70EX:

Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a very interesting thread... goodluck HHCZ...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Instructor

wow looks promising, keep updated! For me OEM color display for sure, looks better. Or similar even bigger (wider) display. The placement is very far away from the driver, so I think touchscreen is not very comfy.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Intermediate

thats nice, but how it can be useful? I see some laptop processing the data, better to send those info to the OEM display

I spoke to another dealer, they told me "the conversion cannot be done, but of course some maniac could do it" (haha Rebound )

heheheh

I had a contact on the dealer side.
We will try to do it anyway!

Project starts next week my friend!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slden
This is a necessary step in creating an entertainment system for non navi version. The concept envisages the replacement of the factory monochrome LCD on the color monitor PC (OEM display). Or install a ready solution. For example Viliv X70EX:

This is a very good option!
Can i install this on the place of the normal LCD and connect the audio line out of this to my audio line in? On the same place i have the USB in on my TSX 09 ?

!!!!

? Or is it to big?

SL you're the man!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Intermediate

Dear all!

After checking SLDEN connection between Honda dash and the laptop i will start a new project

I will open a thread for this.
I still dont know what to do with oem GPS system.

I am thinking on getting X70 Viliv and program the dash buttons / joystick to interact with touchpad
Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Instructor

I cannot wait for your result bro!

Keep that OEM system. I will try to ask one friend in Honda shop, if he can do the nav. with warranty, when I bring my own parts. If so, I can buy it from you.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

for those of you in the US thats interested in adding the OEM nav, i found something you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-Ac...item5ad6198731
everything except the wiring is included i believe.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
for those of you in the US thats interested in adding the OEM nav, i found something you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-Ac...item5ad6198731
everything except the wiring is included i believe.

wow shit, you are da man! Will this fit in EU model???
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

wow shit, you are da man! Will this fit in EU model???
I believe it will, all you need to do is find a European DVD map for the navigation.
But dont take my words for it though, all i did was going down the parts list to see if there is anything specifically made to be used in the NA market. Other than the US/Canada center console, everything else look universal to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Instructor

You are probably right. Other parts has Honda Accessory plate, but the central unit has Acura accessory. I spoke with my friend from Honda dealership, and he told me that he tried this conversion on the previous TSX (7. gen accord) and he failed, because US and EU had different connectors, and the US model can tune only odd numbers. As a mechanic from Honda, he told me to forget it (again).
Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Intermediate

Wiring is my current problem!
Give me the wiring conversion and i have my problem solved !!! :P
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Hi all,

Project completed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcdllztxQ1Y
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM