Acura TSX Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX Steering Noise

I have an Acura TSX '04, and recently the power steering started making a groaning sound. Actually sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars when you turn the wheel. It happens after driving the car for a little while and then doesn't go away until the car sits. When I turn the wheel "Chewbacca" gets louder and I can see the rpm's fluctuate a little bit. If I hit the gas (in neutral) and the rpm's go up, "Chewbacca" goes a little more "soprano" (higher pitch).

Any ideas as to what is causing this? Anyone else had the same problem before?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
5th Gear

Been trying to research this online, but I'm still finding it hard to come by any causes/solutions.

Power Steering makes groaning noise when turning wheel and when rpm's go up. It only happens when the engine has had enough time to get hot. I opened the PS resevoir today while the engine was hot and the PS fluid had small bubbles and was "frothing". What would this indicate?

It's Labor Day weekend, so the mechanic is closed til Tuesday. I'm just trying to get a head start on the problem. At least tell whether it's likely the fluid, air in the system or my pump going bad?

Any input appreciated!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the PS fluid level lately?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 AM
5th Gear

I just had the PS fluid refilled/serviced. Maybe they put the wrong type in?

The level is good, but the fluid starts to froth and bubble when the car gets warm and that's when the noise begins...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by Lawndart
I just had the PS fluid refilled/serviced. Maybe they put the wrong type in?

The level is good, but the fluid starts to froth and bubble when the car gets warm and that's when the noise begins...
Make sure they used Honda fluid. I bought some generic PS fluid recently and it specifically stated NOT for Honda use. So if the noise began after the new fluid refill, that's the problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Does it do it on all road surfaces. I'd suspect it does it more on surfaces with more grip and only when you are sitting still. I think it has to do with tires having resistance on the ground. Really, it would be best to have the car rolling when steering the wheel. Power steering makes turning the wheel easier while the car is resting, but the car has to work harder to get those tires turned causing a force feedback into the steering system.

Hence it would not really be a problem as much as a nuance of the car. A lot of cars do this.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
5th Gear

Results: Took the car back to the shop today and turns out they had used the wrong type of PS fluid. They flushed the system and put Genuine Honda power steering fluid in it and the car is running just fine again.

No more crazy noises or frothing of the fluid.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Results: Took the car back to the shop today and turns out they had used the wrong type of PS fluid. They flushed the system and put Genuine Honda power steering fluid in it and the car is running just fine again.

Was this a dealership or an independent shop?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
still plays with cars

Glad this worked out for you. Apparently the Honda PS fluid has some magic
anti-frothing additive. The generic PS fluid I bought was Pyroil by Valvoline and I checked the container this morning and the warning about not using it in Honda vehicles is in large capital letters. So they know too ...
Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

We should all learn from this.

ALWAYS use OEM fluids in your Honda. Exceptions being made for oil and brake fluid for reasons of potential performance gains. Honda fluids are the creme de la creme.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

We had a light snow here last night and I noticed that it was screaming this morning when I woke her up. Checked the fluid and noticed it was frothy... Hoped online and here I am.

I just purchased my used '05 TSX from a Chevy Lot. I bet they put the wrong fluid in.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll be bringing her in to have it flushed and replaced with Honda fluid.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced

interesting, mine does it when the car has been sitting and the engine is cold. I learned how to drive many years ago on non power steering cars and you learn to steer when the car is rolling. When backing, spin the wheel the opposite direction if you are heading that way. It reduces space needed. Anyway, when I turn the wheel to make a tight turn, in reverse mostly, I get the groan.
Does the TSX have electronic power steering or belt driven mechanically? Thought itmight be the belt. I had the PS recall done but the noise did not go away. Only happens on rare occaisions so far. Bet it is a costly fix.