Strange "whooop" sound...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Strange "whooop" sound...

This has happened three different times, all three times, I've been stopped at a red light, with the A/C on. A few seconds after coming to a full stop, there's this single "woop" sound that lasts about 1-1.5 seconds.
It sounds like Curly from the Three Stooges doing that "woop" sound he made in the show (but only one woop).

My 2004 TSX has about 57,000 miles on it. No problems with the A/C or anything. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the hood popped and the engine & a/c running. I also can't see anything obviously wrong in terms of belt tensioning, belt wear, fluid levels, etc.

Like I said, it's happened 3 times in the span of about a month and a half. I'm wondering if someone else has had it happen to them, because if I tell the dealer, they'll just say "we couldn't reproduce it" and charge me $50 for it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same whooping sound in my '04 TSX

Hi, einsatz:

I have the same whooping sound, it just started in the last week. I checked the fluid levels and didn't find anything wrong. Please post if you find out what is wrong and I will do the same.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Instructor

thats weird hope anyone would update us of how to fix it quick...

will it be the weather change?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it covered under warranty.

Probably caused by one of the evaporator valves in the A/C system. Just test by turning your aircond totally off.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 AM
4th Gear

This sounds about right, since I have turned off the AC and the whooping has yet to show again. As with einsatz, I hear the whooping when stopped and at idle. Anyone had this fixed?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 AM
I can't find my garage

Lol i just farted when i saw this thread. it made a whoop sound too!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

I know that friggin noise! My 04 is in the dealer right now for that EXACT same problem. I've had it in 3 times. Here's what they said today:

It's something with the high compression used by the air conditioner. Something how when everything gets up to speed it makes that noise. I'll try to get more details when I pick it up tonight. They've replaced a worn drive belt, flushed fluids, etc and that stupid noise is still there. They said it's a normal noise and that Acura tech is saying all TSX's have it - even the new ones. I think it's BS since this is the first time I've heard that noise in the 4 years I've had the car.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

Straight from the dealer:

"Found noise to be normal. When the a/c comes on it's the a/c clutch assembly coming on and the a/c drive belt is catching up. The howl/whine noise is the a/c system, the system uses a higher pressure so less freon is used to cycle the system and the noise is coming from the pressure being built up. As per Acura Tech Line, Normal Operation."
Old 10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had that noise for over a year. I couldn't figure it out, but like everyone said here. It's there only when the A/C is on, and while the car is idling. A friend of mine has an 04 Accord, and he said he has the same noise.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:28 PM

OK, so it's pretty much certain that it's the A/C system.
I don't buy the "it's normal" excuse from the dealer, that's BS.
I'm relieved I'm not the only one, but sbeck80, dshertz, vwong and his friend all have 2004 models. I wonder if it's something that exhibits itself after 3-4 years of wear, or if it's a design issue with 2004 Honda/Acura Accords. I wonder if there's a TSB out for something that causes this.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

My '06 TSX has had the same issue, although it happened a lot more frequently earlier in the summer when it was warmer and more humid outside. However, this past summer ('07) is the first time I had experienced the "whooop" sound -- the car was quiet during Summer '06 (also in DC).

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem/issue. Hopefully it's nothing serious --- and that the "Acura Tech Line" noted above is correct.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, but as we all know the line "it's normal [wear and tear]" is the universal sidestep of service managers everywhere. If anyone notices this problem with their AC or if it progresses to bigger AC problems, please post.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 04 TSX with 72k miles. The dealer has been unable to reproduce it when I've brought it in, but the noise seems to be occuring more often. Always with the a/c on, engine running, and vehicle at a stop. If it's a/c related I'd like to get it fixed before my 100k Acuracare warranty expires. My guess is it's the expansion valve is makeing noise due to high pressure. With all the problems I've heard people having with the a/c compresor on the '04's, I want to make sure I can get this covered in the next year or so.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a 2007 TSX last month and within the first week I heard the same sound. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what it is. The noise is louder on the inside of the car than on the outside. The sound only happens randomly so it is hard to pin point and show the stealership. When it does start doing it I notice the first time is always the loudest and then it gets progressively quieter. Then for weeks on end it will never happen again. I have only heard it with the AC on. I also know the sound happens when the fans kit on so maybe it does have to do with the AC and the compressor. One day it started so I pulled into a parking lot and I popped my hood and waited for it to happen again. It did it 5 consecutive times, each time when the fans were coming on. I guess we will see were this goes and hopefully there is a fix because I have never heard a sound like this from any car ever.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

I have an '04, and it's started making the same noise - mostly when at idle with the A/C on. However - this is weird - a couple of times, it's made the noise AFTER I had shut off the engine. I got home today, A/C on. Parked, shut of the A/C, shut off the car, got out, and as got to the front of the car - 'whoooop'. Kinda sounds like it's coming from the condenser or receiver/dryer area, and that fact that it would do this with the engine OFF seems mighty strange. I do believe it's A/C related (the system is always under pressure). Guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them take a look. Will let you all know what they say - I'm sure it will be good for a laugh!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
OK, I had the same problem. On the way home the day I bought the car it made the WHOOPING noise. I laughed, thought it was amusing. When I got home I searched the owners manual looking for what it was. Couldnt find anything about the noise. Drove the car for about a week and it quickly got old. I took it back to the dealer and I was told it was an "EXPANSION VALVE". Something to do with the A.C. I dont know much more, but the dealer changed the expansion valve and the sound went away. Havent heard it since. If you are in the SoCal area I bought my car at Metro Acura in Montclair, Ca. They knew exactly what the problem was and fixed it right away. So if your dealer claims that its normal wear and tear you can tell them what they are full of!!! Hope you guys get your problems resolved soon. Good Luck. I know how annoying it can be.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Advanced

OH, if you would like to duplicate the noise for your dealer, just let the car idle with the A.C. on. If you pop the hood, you will hear a clicking noise (like the compressor kicking on) and almost simultaneously the whoop will occur. Leave your door open so you can hear the whooping noise. Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have this sound with my new '08 - had it in my '04 too.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
4th Gear

Maesm81 - can you put up more info about your fix? Like dealer contact info, tech person's name, etc? I'd like to have some ammo before I go back into the dealership and start bitchin again. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
4th Gear

Quick edit - just trying to keep this at the top of the thread list. My dealership is going to check out this thread to see if they can fix it with the expansion valve!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Racer

i have it to WTFORK
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Ok, found the invoice. Part #80221-SEA-G42 Valve, Expansion....straight from the invoice.
Service advisor: 130 Andy Dobler.
The dealership info: Metro Acura 9377 Autoplex Dr. Montclair, Ca. 91763 (909)626-6000
www.metroacura.com

I never spoke to the technician but his name was on the invoice. I spoke only to the service manager. He gave me a card, but I seem to have misplaced it. Sorry Dont remember his name.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Great info - Thank you!
If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to replace? If you had other service performed and labor is mixed with other stuff, can you just provide the cost of the part per the invoice?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Great info - Thank you!
If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to replace? If you had other service performed and labor is mixed with other stuff, can you just provide the cost of the part per the invoice?
Thanks

On the invoice it just says N/C where the price should be. It was a warranty issue. I only had the car a week at that point. It also says they added refrigerant...*R134A LB. REFRIGERANT... also N/C.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Advanced

I just looked on acuraoemparts.com and it was $56.66. Not sure about shipping though. It says list price is $71.18...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...1=&inputstate=
Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
4th Gear

Hi, Maesm81,

Great info--hopefully this will prevent brush offs and misdiagnosis by less informed or less cooperative dealers.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll have to concur with the whooping sound; Just started happening to me, A/C on, engine idle. Scared my fiance because it almost sounded like a ghost was in the car!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Take it to the dealer get it checked out. The first time we heard it we laughed histerically. Quickly got old though.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Advanced

i've had this noise since i first purchased my '07. mine does it when driving or at idle. it happens more often when it rains here though, and since it's been raining a lot, it's been making the noise a lot. i figured it was something to do with the A/C.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"whoooop" noise

OMG, I'm not crazy. I knew it had to do with the A/C, and it happened on warm/humid days (as previously mentioned). I live in Houston, so warm and humid days are the norm. Anyway, my neighbor heard it, and he thought it was some sort of A/C belt. I even recorded the sound on my phone, mimicked myself, and documented when it happens for the dealer. They replaced some belt, but it still happens. Honestly, it's a little embarrassing.

Anyway, they "couldn't duplicate the problem" either. Do they even try? Sheesh. I am so grateful for everyone who posted about the loud noise, their suggestions, part names, etc.

I will try a different dealer to remedy this, as my warranty expires in just a few thousand miles.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by kvan2007
OMG, I'm not crazy. I knew it had to do with the A/C, and it happened on warm/humid days (as previously mentioned). I live in Houston, so warm and humid days are the norm. Anyway, my neighbor heard it, and he thought it was some sort of A/C belt. I even recorded the sound on my phone, mimicked myself, and documented when it happens for the dealer. They replaced some belt, but it still happens. Honestly, it's a little embarrassing.

Anyway, they "couldn't duplicate the problem" either. Do they even try? Sheesh. I am so grateful for everyone who posted about the loud noise, their suggestions, part names, etc.

I will try a different dealer to remedy this, as my warranty expires in just a few thousand miles.

Which dealer did you try in Houston? I have talked to my service tech at John Eagle and he is going to have it taken care of when I come in for the first service. I honestly believe it is the expansion valve.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Instructor

"whooop noise" in Houston

As a matter of fact, it was John Eagle that couldn't duplicate the problem. My service rep. is Eric. He's nice and well-meaning, but I get the feeling their service techs are somewhat clueless.

My plan is to take it to Sterling McCall, since they're somewhat closer to my house. I am interested, though--who is your rep. at John Eagle? I wouldn't mind trying them again and mentioning that they have already addressed this problem for one of their customers (then showing them this post).

Please post your results with JE. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

Hi, folks! Finally got mine into the dealership - I also gave them the excellent information and tips I got from this forum (you guys rock!). They had it for a couple of days, and their tech was clueless. I pissed and moaned when I picked up the car, referenced the information from this thread again, and the service mgr talked to another tech who had fixed this noise in other Acura's. Per this new (enlightened) tech, it is the expansion valve, and they've ordered the part for me. I'll let you all know if this solves the problem.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if Acura replaces the expansion valve, won't this problem happen again? Or did we all just happen to get faulty expansion valves? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Cruisin'

That's actually a pretty good question kvan2007 - I'm hoping it's a bad valve, and it won't happen again.

It's not that unusual to have a batch of bad parts end up being installed at the factory - our headlights are a good example - not everyone has the condensation problem, but quite a few of us got defective headlights.

Same with the front brake pads - the orginals in my '04 sucked (vibration when stopping). Acura has since released an improved pad. I had mine replaced under warranty - no more vibration.

I'm hoping that those of us who have this problem either (a) got a defective valve or (b) Acura has upgraded the valve to prevent this problem.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I am not sure it is the expansion value. What I think is you either have too much freon or some has leaked out. Once they replace the valve, the fill the system back to spec, and I think that is what is fixing the problem. I bet if the ac system were vacuum down and filled back up the problem would go away.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor

I had my not only my pads but my front rotors replaced--twice. They seem to overheat and warp quite easily. I have also had each headlight replaced due to the condensation. What an odd assortment of common problems. My leather seat is also cracking, but Acura refuses to replace it.

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My '08 TSX that I got last Sat has the same "Whopping" sound too. Thanks for the information. I hope they fix mine. I can't believe a new car which made and assembled in Japan also has this quality problems.

Moreover, the buzzing noise on the rear speakers are louder than other TSX on the floor too. I may need to ask them to check it too.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
http://flickr.com/photos/10291763@N00/265750663/
Old 11-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Cruisin'

I am hopeful that replacing the expansion valve fixes the problem - have not had a chance to take mine back in for the repair yet, but the part has arrived. Maybe next week - I'll keep you guys updated.

Quick Reply: Strange "whooop" sound...