2005 TSX Automatic Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 TSX Automatic Transmission Noise

Hello everyone. I am having this problem with a 2005 Tsx automatic transmission.

I have about 26000 miles on my TSX. I started noticing the problem at around 20,000 miles. It is becoming very annoying to me.

The noise is happening only while driving the car normally in regular automatic mode (not the manual tiptronic mode). It comes from the area right underneath the shifter. It is a clicking noice that can be noticed when accelerating off a dead stop and also when you come to a complete stop. The noise is very similar or the same to the one heard when your car is in park and you tap the brakes several times.

The car only has the noise. It does not have any problems, while in full automatic mode, shifting from one gear to the other.

I believe the problem is with the shift lock solenoid? I don't know if this is the proper term?

I know for sure the problem did not exist when the car was new. I think this problem only develops as the cars get older and pass the 20,000 mile mark. I think somebody else on this forum even fixed this problem and the problem returned a year later. I have had older hondas and acuras before that have had the noise only while in park and tapping the brakes but never while accelerating and coming to a complete stop.

How many owners of automatic TSXs from 2004 to 2007 are having this problem? In order to notice this problem, you have to turn off the radio and preferably have your windows closed. Tap on the brakes with the car in park. Do you hear a clicking or tapping noise? Put the car in drive, release the brake and accelerate. Is there a clicking or tapping noise? Come to a complete stop. Again, is there a clicking or tapping noise? When the noise happens it will be just one click or tapping noise. Not numerous ones unless you have your car in park and tap the brakes in which case you will hear the same amount of clicks as number to times you hit the brakes.

Please let us know the year of your car and specially the mileage on the car.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great description, I know what your talking about...

I have the same exact problem which you described to a tee! It annoys the crap out of me and is all I think about when I am driving in the city! I am going in for an oil change and I want this addressed. I am also having problems with the windshield washer pumps. The fluid only reaches the bottom of where the wipers sit! I hope they know what they are doing!

Car is a 05 with 13k on the odometer.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Advanced.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep us posted Yodaman1. I'm really curious to see what the service tech says it is. I have an '06 Auto but have yet to hear of this problem in my own car. I have almost 18K on the clock.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have this problem also, I don't know what to do about. I have an 05 with 16k miles but I've heard the noise since about 12k.

-Shaun
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
9th Gear

I have this problem too. I have an '05 with 23k.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
4th Gear

I'll keep you updated. I have an appointment this Friday. I can't wait to hear them say "nothing is wrong," or they can't hear it. Do you guys think this could be a long term issue? I switched it over to manual mode and it does not happen. All I know it is bothering me a lot now that I hear it.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chiming in, not sure if its problematic for me but, I do have a whine sound at only 3K-3500 rpm.

But I have an 05 AT as well.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Instructor

sounds like a lot of people having this problem. since all you guys are still undr warantee why not take it in to the dealer?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 AM
TSX User

Sounds Familiar ...

I noticed the same clicking noise at 20k, had the dealer fix it (don't know how), and now it is back.

It's like Herpes.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
New to Modding Cars

what's the update on this? I'm having the same issues as you yodaman. Please fill me in with everything. I got the noise and wiper problem too
Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 AM
4th Gear

Update: Had it looked at yesterday, dealer said sound was normal and all TSX’s had the same noise. Gave me a BS line on how syncros (sp?) were making the noise going into gear and it is documented they all make this sound. Who knows, I think they are full of shit. This was Metro Acura in Philadelphia...not the nicest Acura dealership. It looks like they should be selling Kia's, place is a dump.
The following users liked this post:
thefork (01-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro

TinkyWinki:

How long did the repair last? If you had it fixed at 20,000 miles, how many miles did the car have and how much time passed when the problem came back?

Yodaman1:

That is absolute BS that the sound is normal. I don't think any NEW TSX on the lot with 0 miles is going to have this problem. But he may be right in the sense that most if not all used automatic TSXs will develop the problem. If this is the case, this is a serious design flaw in the TSX.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread has really had me thinking lately. I dont know for sure whether or not our 5A's have it but I believe there is a shift-lock solenoid which engages so that you can't accidentally push the shifter into reverse or park when going faster than 5 mph, then as you slow down under 5 mph it "unlocks." Most cars with auto trans have a button on the shifter you have to push before you change gears, but seeing as the TSX doesn't I'm sure they put in some type of safety feature to keep you from accidentally pushing the shifter into reverse while driving. I believe that the sound we're hearing is this solenoid getting noisy. That's my best guess anyway.

-Shaun
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro

26Shaun:

That is an excellent point. I had not thought about that. I have had older Hondas and Acuras that made this clicking noise but only when they were in park and you tap the brakes. They never did it when accelerating off a complete stop and then again when coming to a complete stop. But they also had that button on the shifter that you would press to get out of parking. The TSX does NOT have it. With TSX not having this button, this may be a major problem.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
New to Modding Cars

yodaman, what did they say about the windshield fluid pumps?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
4th Gear

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to ask about them. On my way there they were working fine. I didn't want to look like an idiot when they were working.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Went in to Honda dealer for my oil change today.

Now that sound around 3K - 3.5K is gone.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Advanced

sounds like a warranty issue. good luck
Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear

Unhappy Don't scare me guys!

I have an 06 AT, pretty new, less than 1k. I actually notice this sudden "jolt" of the car when accelerating from 1st gear to 2nd gear when in tiptronic mode. It occurs even in auto mode. it's a very noticeable jolt, cuz i almost spilled my coffee (god forbid on the brand new leather) when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd. if you guys are noticing the problem after one year, then is my car a lemon?

Would appreciate some feedback, cuz I'll need to take it back to the dealer right away!
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro

Any others with this problem?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem. Gold Coast Acura in Ventura, Ca diagnosed the problem as a bad Shift Lock Solenoid and Bushing. They replaced the Shift Lock Solenoid, bushing and the Shift Lock Stop Reverse Lock Stop. Sounds funny, but that's what's on my invoice. Everything was covered under warranty and my 2005 had 40,201 miles. The problem hasn't come back and hopefully it won't!

The continuing problem I'm having is the darn rattle that seems to be coming from behind the air-bag. Any help with that would be much appreciated. I can't seem to get a strait answer.

By the way, this is my first post! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts for the past two years and finally have something to contribute! Hopefully it'll help.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear

That should have been straight not strait. I'm not navigating through any narrow passages of water. Sorry!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

Same problem with my '04 TSX - I pulled the console, and it's definitely the shift lock solenoid that's clicking. Didn't do this new, and should not be doing this at 32k miles. Took it in to Montano Acura, and they replaced the solenoid (or so they said). Noise is still there, so I'll let them know about the other parts referenced here (bushing and the Shift Lock Stop Reverse Lock Stop - thanks Chouston75!). Got the line of BS from them that another '04 they had on the lot made the same noise - so it's normal. By that logic, any problem that I have that also ocurred on another TSX would be classified as 'normal'. God, these dealership service guys tick me off!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Instructor

I think that's normal i remember someone in the forum was asking the same question.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

Problem Fixed! I finally took matters into my own hands and fixed the problem - IMO this is not a normal noise. Sorry - no pics of the repair, my GF had my camera.

Anyway - I pulled out the shifter assembly after the dealer had replaced the shift lock solenoid (car was still making the noise). The Shift Lock Solenoid will activate in Park (when you press the brake). It also activates when you slow down (under 2 mph) and than again when you pull away from a dead stop (at about 2-3 mph). The solenoid is there to prevent you from shifting past Neutral (into reverse or park) when you're moving above 2-3 mph). This solenoid was NOT the problem with my car.

I tore down the shifter assembly to get to the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Lock Stop (the lever that is attached to the Shift Lock Solenoid). This lever is the problem (the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Lock Stop). It appears that it has become slightly loose over time, and when the solenoid activates, the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Stop Lock lever rattles against the inside of the shift housing. I removed the lever, and epoxied a very small, very thin piece of industrial felt to the edge that was rattling against the shift housing - problem solved!

Note!! This is NOT a repair you should attempt unless you know what you're doing. The shop manual does not go into detail about how to tear down the shifter assy, and it's pretty tricky. It took me about an hour to do this repair, but I've got a quite a bit of experience. Also, my fix is the 'DIY' version of the repair - it's quite possible that replacing the Shift Lock Stop/Reverse Stop Lock lever would also fix the problem, but it's the same amount of work. Besides, this is a poor design - there's very little clearance for the lever, so eventually, it's probably gonna rattle against the side of the shift housing.

Wish I had Pics, but if you look at the exploded diagram in the shop manual (page 14-234) you can see the part I'm referring to. It's a bugger to get access to the lever!

Maybe this will help some of you guys still under warranty - you can point out where the problem lies - if they just replace the solenoid, it will not likely fix the problem. If you're out of warranty, and lacking mechanical skills, you may want to just live with it. My dealer replaced the solenoid under warranty - did not fix the problem. Pretty lame diagnostic skills - they were right on top of the problem and replaced the wrong part.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Pro

Abqtsx:

That is AWESOME. Are you a mecanic by trade? You are the first person that I have seen who has fixed this problem. And your repair is probably better than any repair that the dealer is going to do. Because even if they change the solenoid or the lever, I don't think they are putting that piece of felt you put on it. I have read of several members who have fixed this problem at the dealer and the problem returns in the future maybe 10 to 20,000 miles later. Again, that is awesome stuff.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Well, thanks! I used to be a certified mechanic, but moved on to other things (systems analysis/computers) years ago. I still do all the work on my own cars, though. I'll be sure to let everyone know if the noise comes back, but I think my fix is solid. Also, you're right - I think anything the dealer will do will just come 'undone' within 10/20k miles. I'm just sorry I had no camera when I made the repair. Good luck with yours, Miamicarfan - maybe your dealer will have better luck than mine did!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro

thanks abqtsx, my 04 with 50K KM now have the same noise. i test a few time to be sure it's the same solenoid lever thing, it heppend every time i touch the brake while engine on and transmission is in N (stopped), if the engine if off then i do not hear the noise. it also make the noise when moving from stop or speed slow down to certain level (like 5km?). but it does not make that noise when i put it in Parking when i press the brake. i think mine is out of warrenty so i will try DIY in the summer.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
FYI, this problem came back on my 05 TSX, the dealer called Acura Tech and stated the problem was normal and would not fix it. A year or so ago they actually replaced it, no questions asked.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro

Scrib:

How long did repair last in terms of mileage? How many miles did you put in that year before the problem resurfaced?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Scrib:

How long did repair last in terms of mileage? How many miles did you put in that year before the problem resurfaced?
First one lasted about 10,000 miles. Replacement crapped out about 17,000 miles.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the auto shift lever?

I have the rolling marbles noise which I can live with but recently when I come to a stop shifter selector resonates and makes a horrible noise when in D. As soon as I place my hand on the gear knob and slightly move the lever up or down the noise goes away.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Racer

Hi there...just had to have my 2005 A/T replaced at 137k miles. It was shifting, but while in park the tranny was making a whirling noise. It was beginning to shift hard as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jimstsx
Hi there...just had to have my 2005 A/T replaced at 137k miles. It was shifting, but while in park the tranny was making a whirling noise. It was beginning to shift hard as well.

A couple of questions:

1) Are you the original owner of the car or did you buy used? If you bought used, how many miles did the car have when you bought it?

2) Did you ever change the automatic transmission fluid?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
5th Gear

I have an 04 AT with the same problem. Purchased it with 133 on the clock and it was doing the clicking sound but i couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the advice gonna go get her fixed
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Racer

A couple of questions:

1) Are you the original owner of the car or did you buy used? If you bought used, how many miles did the car have when you bought it?

2) Did you ever change the automatic transmission fluid?

Yes...i am the original owner...got the car in July 2005. I changed the transmission fluid on it per the scheduled maint. plan. However, i noticed that the car was shifting hard before i heard the whirling noise. the car never rode poor on the interstate, only when pulling out from a parking lot, or from a hard stop. Even at a stop light it would still take off ok.

In general the car isn't bad. I have the new tranny in it...and it runs well now. There are a few little things wrong with the car overall, but for a 2005 that i had since new...the TSX has been pretty solid. (Knock on wood).
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

yeah i had the same problem at about the same millage i took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty but it came back about two years later so be prepared.now ive kind of learned to live w it
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Going to attempt to take apart my shifter and do this diy fix mentioned earlier in the thread. Has anyone else besides abqtsx tried this and have any advice? It's really tricky taking apart the shifter (since the helm's manual doesn't explain it), and I could use some pointers. I have to get this sound fixed because it's driving me mad!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jottle
Going to attempt to take apart my shifter and do this diy fix mentioned earlier in the thread. Has anyone else besides abqtsx tried this and have any advice? It's really tricky taking apart the shifter (since the helm's manual doesn't explain it), and I could use some pointers. I have to get this sound fixed because it's driving me mad!

I think abqtsx is the only forum member who has tried this fix. If there are others, i would like to know.

I will eventually get this fixed. It is a design flaw. But it does not affect the shifting of the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer and have been told that is normal! BS. car never made that noise when it was brand new. This only reared its ugly head after about 15000 miles. And even if you change the part, it will come back in another 15000 miles.

Best solution is what abqtsx did. putting in some kind of soft material in there between the contact points and gluing it or epoxing it will make sound disappear.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
I think abqtsx is the only forum member who has tried this fix. If there are others, i would like to know.

I will eventually get this fixed. It is a design flaw. But it does not affect the shifting of the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer and have been told that is normal! BS. car never made that noise when it was brand new. This only reared its ugly head after about 15000 miles. And even if you change the part, it will come back in another 15000 miles.

Best solution is what abqtsx did. putting in some kind of soft material in there between the contact points and gluing it or epoxing it will make sound disappear.
I have all sorts of obvious manufacturer or design defects (including this one) that dealers say is "normal" or "within specification." This is their get out of work free card because the fix is either too difficult for them to do or they just don't want to be reimbursed the lower warranty hourly rate. I've found that the vast majority of acura techs know jack squat about our cars. I ran into one or two that were actually helpful and interested in fixing cars/making customers happy. So sad.
The following users liked this post:
thefork (01-25-2014)