Powering Gadgets in Your TSX, from the fuse box.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powering Gadgets in Your TSX, from the fuse box.

Well, I'm thinking of installing a Kenwood Sirius SAT radio tuner/controller setup I have laying around in my garage. As such, I needed some power options for use in the TSX, in my case a switched and non-switched (continous) power supply able to handle 3A.

For prior installs I tapped into the power wires on the main radio harness. Moda_way has informed me this may be a cause for some 'noise' in FM-modulator installs (like mine) for the TSX. And I'm even lazier now then when I did my Accord Sirius install.

So, here is my current solution, this may be useful to other. A company called Littelfuse, makes a nice clean device for tapping into fuses in your fuse box, without cutting into any wires. Add-A-Ciriut MINI Part No. FHM200BP, I was not able to find them online for sale, just drive to an autozone. So far the only place I found them is Autozone, not Advance or NAPA.

They allow you to plug a power lead and a second fuse into a current fused spot in your fuse box. I've already tested and these devices fit perfectly into the drivers foot well fuse box with the Door cover on the box.

Also the Add-A-Ciriut MINI will only work for a 10A, or less, fuse safely. Moda_Way helped me identify the following ideal fuses in the TSX, these may be helpful for you too.

Location No.
12 - allways hot (no fuse)
13 - allways hot (no fuse)
17 - allways hot (no fuse)

29 - Switched (no fuse)
30 - Switched (mirrors, A/C, etc. 7.5A fuse)
31 - Switched (no fuse)
32 - Switched (ACC fuse 7.5A )

33 - allways hot (no fuse USA)

I limited my search to these fuses because they are all 10A or less locations for OE fuses or currently have no fuse, so I can make it what ever I need.

Hope this is helpful for others, Now you can add radar detectors, FM-modulators and other such junk to your TSX; and thanks for your help Moda_way.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear

Using the above method I can not get the Sirius unit to power on unless the car is turned on. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kdains
Using the above method I can not get the Sirius unit to power on unless the car is turned on. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?
Are you sure you have you constant wire and ignition wire correctly hooked up?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:37 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Hmmm... along the same lines, I have a question.

First, anyone know which fuse is used for the door lights and which fuse for the headlights?
And second, if I tapped into that fuse, what I'm powering would act the same as the door lights/headlights right? (aka, when the door is open or headlights are on whatever I'm powering would be on)

EDIT: Are the dome lights on the same fuse as the door lights?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you only want the Sirius unit to turn on when the car is on?

Are you saying that you're not getting constant power either? ie. the Sirius tuner is not remembering any of your presets and settings?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

It is saving the settings but should it not come on when the radio comes on? When the key is in the ACC position the radio will play but the Siruis unit will not power on. Only when the key is in the RUN position will the Sirius unit come on. If I turn off the car and try to listen to the unit I can not. I can listen to CD's or the Radio but the Sirius unit powers off.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

Solved my problem. Hooked Red wire into #32 and Yellow into #33 now unit powers up while key is in ACC position. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Solved my problem. Hooked Red wire into #32 and Yellow into #33 now unit powers up while key is in ACC position. Thanks.
Nice...now post some pics.

BTW, where is your Sirius antenna installed?

Jiggaman was asking some questions about Antenna placement in the a/v section.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:33 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury

First, anyone know which fuse is used for the door lights and which fuse for the headlights?
And second, if I tapped into that fuse, what I'm powering would act the same as the door lights/headlights right? (aka, when the door is open or headlights are on whatever I'm powering would be on)

Mr. Chad or Moda, or anyone else with electronic expirience, any help with that? I'm sure I can find the first part but anyone know the answer to the second part?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Answer to your 2nd question. If you tapped into a fuse used for the lights/headlights, it would not behave the same exact way as those components. The fuse box does not have internal logic that conditionally supplies power to each individual component. It will only provide power conditionally based on ignition position. The components themselves have the logic necessarily to determine whether or not to use the power that it is being supplied with.

Take the headlights for example. The headlights always have constant power going to them. It's the control on the steering wheel that determines whether or not the headlights will actually turn on and use that power. If you wired your components directly to output of the headlight switch though, it would conditionally supply power based on whether the headlights were on or off. But by tapping into the fuse box, you're tapping into the powering going to the input of the headlights, not the output.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Answer to your 2nd question. If you tapped into a fuse used for the lights/headlights, it would not behave the same exact way as those components. The fuse box does not have internal logic that conditionally supplies power to each individual component. It will only provide power conditionally based on ignition position. The components themselves have the logic necessarily to determine whether or not to use the power that it is being supplied with.

Take the headlights for example. The headlights always have constant power going to them. It's the control on the steering wheel that determines whether or not the headlights will actually turn on. If you wired your components directly to output of the headlight switch though, it would conditionally supply power based on whether the headlights were on or off. But by tapping into the fuse box, you're tapping into the powering going to the input of the headlights, not the output.
gotcha thanks man!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Nice...now post some pics.

BTW, where is your Sirius antenna installed?

Jiggaman was asking some questions about Antenna placement in the a/v section.
I always put mine in the car...

both pics pre-tint...still works great even with metallic tint 20%
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

That's a good spot Chad. I had my antenna in the same spot as you for awhile, but it kept moving around a little bit. How is yours attached to the carpet on the back deck? Are you just using the magnetized sticky pad, that comes with the antenna?

I have my GPS and Sirius antennas inside the car too. I like keeping it hidden. I ended up moving my Sirius antenna to the key hole for putting the back seats down. It's a good spot too. I was able to hide the wire, by running it underneath the key ring.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:40 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

That's a good spot Chad. I had my antenna in the same spot as you for awhile, but it kept moving around a little bit. How is yours attached to the carpet on the back deck? Are you just using the magnetized sticky pad, that comes with the antenna?

I have my GPS and Sirius antennas inside the car too. I like keeping it hidden. I ended up moving my Sirius antenna to the key hole for putting the back seats down. It's a good spot too. I was able to hide the wire, by running it underneath the key ring.
I have a small piece of velcro on the bottom of both antennas. It works very well. The TSX deck lid is so nice for antenna, it completely flat unlike the Accord's rear deck.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

The things in that picture are called mini add a circuit. I believe it also has a fuse inline.

Last edited by Tsx536; 07-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

OK...these are for the 04-06's...07-08 should be about the same as the 06, but your mileage may vary...

Door lights: (underdash fuse box) 6 - ambient light, ceiling light, audio unit, courtesy lights, homelink, map light, trunk light, vanity mirror lights, handsfreelink control model ('06+) so that's a yes to your edit question

Head lights: (underhood fuse box) 1 - left low beam, 3 - left high beam, 5 - right high beam, 6 - right low beam