Modify your navigation system

Old 04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anxiously awaiting. You single handly brought me back from months of being away from the forum. You da man!

Any way to add features one person was talking about like playing DVDs or MP3s?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bysin,
Good job, you seem like a very smart person. I want to run an idea (or 2) by you that has been tossed around on this board for a while: My self and many other’s with stock nav screens have been trying to do one (or both) of two things.

1) hack into the win CE kernel somehow (or load one onto the nav unit) so that you have an actual win CE desktop on the dashboard. Apparently there is a PCMCIA card slot on the nav unit in the trunk where a hard drive (with modifications) can be pluged into. This would enable MP3’s, movie files, and what ever else to be played via the Win CE \ nav system, which would be awesome!

2) even better, somehow tap into the touch logic information from the nav screen so it can be synchronized with a normal computer, and used as a normal touch screen.

I know that the nav can be hacked to display video using an RGB converter (done many times here) but so far no one has been able to crack the touch system. . .

Have you had any thoughts about this? Are you looking for a new project??

Thanks man, keep up the good work!
Chad
Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awesome, bysin, and great work! Anxiously awaiting your next update
Old 04-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
well kenji, i was just thinking that if we are able to get into the different files on the Navi disc that all it would take was making our own recordings and swapping them with the factory ones. as long as we kept the same name and file type there shouldnt be an issue....at least i would assume
My bad, I thought you were thinking of modding what you can say to the nav.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
A Commuter

sorry..gotta be a newb here...whats a no "nag" ?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Well theoretically.. the program that Acura/Honda uses for navigation is simply just a windows ce program.. You could possibly repack the bin so that it loads an explorer.exe first. I'm not too sure how large the .BIN file could be, I would have to check how large its flash to see if it would be possible to do that. Then you can use it as a normal windows ce desktop (opening navi.exe or whatever programs from the start menu). You could then load microsoft's windows media player for windows ce also.. About the hard drive thing, the PC card in the back (like many other handheld devices) shows up as "Storage Card" as extra storage for movies/etc. I'm not too sure an actual hard drive would be possible.

Originally Posted by chadwick02
Bysin,
Good job, you seem like a very smart person. I want to run an idea (or 2) by you that has been tossed around on this board for a while: My self and many other’s with stock nav screens have been trying to do one (or both) of two things.

1) hack into the win CE kernel somehow (or load one onto the nav unit) so that you have an actual win CE desktop on the dashboard. Apparently there is a PCMCIA card slot on the nav unit in the trunk where a hard drive (with modifications) can be pluged into. This would enable MP3’s, movie files, and what ever else to be played via the Win CE \ nav system, which would be awesome!

2) even better, somehow tap into the touch logic information from the nav screen so it can be synchronized with a normal computer, and used as a normal touch screen.

I know that the nav can be hacked to display video using an RGB converter (done many times here) but so far no one has been able to crack the touch system. . .

Have you had any thoughts about this? Are you looking for a new project??

Thanks man, keep up the good work!
Chad
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

sorry..gotta be a newb here...whats a no "nag" ?
if you have to ask...it aint bothering you
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

the first blah blah blah screen witht the OK button
Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
the good thing about nag is that it works as a kind of screen saver
if you're not interested in using navi it turns the screen off
which certainly prolongs the panel's life

it would be nice to keep the doze off function in case navi wasn't engaged right from the beginning
however when a request goes through from a driver it should just start instead of nagging
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Professional Newbie

that would be cool, but it def sounds like a tough job

i'd be happy with a no-nag for sure, i mean if i get sick of it its not difficult to load the old stuff back on
Old 04-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally Posted by chadwick02
Interesting..... any links to these DIYs? More info please.

Bysim, if anyone can add mp3's and movies..... it's you
Old 04-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abirvalg
the good thing about nag is that it works as a kind of screen saver
if you're not interested in using navi it turns the screen off
which certainly prolongs the panel's life
thanks for the cheer-up
Old 04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

As long as we are getting rid of the nag screen...... and by we, I mean bysin..... can we (bysin) get the nav to boot to the audio screen instead of the map, as nav only has to be used some of the time, and audio much more often.

Thanks for all the awesome work!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Troublemaker

yay!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Can't wait to drive

With a little help from GT4 and photoshop
Old 04-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Lemme get that Back.bmp, that looks real hot.

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9

With a little help from GT4 and photoshop
Old 04-03-2005, 11:24 PM
All Hail the Chief

Bysin, any chance you could make this work on 2nd Gen TL's? I know we use a DVD-based Navi system...beyond that, I don't much more about the technical side of it.

I know there are a ton of us over there that would absolutely love to have this ability!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Can't wait to drive

Yup, it's HAWT!

Here is the .jpg representation of the background image..I don't have an access to a .bmp image hosting service, so try the link below to download the bmp file:

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...90D3RCIQU46494
Old 04-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

bysin is a god.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Can't wait to drive

As you can see from my post above, you'll need to "compensate" for the aspect ratio of the image at 480 x 234. To help you guys make an image that is not stretched out of shape, first create an image that has a 16:9 aspect ratio. Then increase the width of the image by 1.154 (115.4%) while leaving the height the same, then downsample it to fit in 480 x 234, 8 bit indexed color and you will have an image that would work for the background.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Can't wait to drive

Originally Posted by zeezz
bysin is a god.
:gheywave:
Old 04-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

I must go to bed, no more endless refreshing this page tonight, but will be back checking at work in the morning!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Instructor

TL compatibility

Bysin,

I see your from Orlando.... very cool.... I live about 15 miles north of there near Lake Mary / Sanford area. UCF could use a guy like you !! (I graduated from there in 1994 with an Engineering degree).

I own an 2004 NBP TL and a 2004 NBP TSX both with navi's. Do you think this navidump hack would work on my TL ? My gut feeling is that it would since I know the Navi DVD from the TSX works on my TL.

Have you had any experience trying to make a backup of the navi DVD? There has been alot of research on the TL forum but no one has successful done this.

It appears that someone has backup the DVD on a DL DVD but it could not be read with the NAVI DVD player.

Good work dude !!

Rich
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Racer

I was just trying to think of a cool picture to use as my startup image, when I realized that I really like the standard Acura one. Perhaps I will add my name to it or something like that.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

question Bysin

Hey Bysin i know we are all nagging you and bothering you with our questions so i am very sorry because i ahve a few of my own.

first of all do i have to modify all the bin files with the same info or just one?

second cant i just copy back all the bin files and the other files on the dvd and jsut leave it in th edrive instead of loading from the original then placing the one i modified?

last one i can tseem to find the no-nag and the modified diag?

thanx again for your time bysin you did a great job.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Yeah I go to school in Lake Mary (SCC). Do you go to that Courtacy Acura in Sanford?

What is TL's BIN file called? They are all basically the same format so I would imagine it would work. I dont really have a DL DVD drive so I have no way of experimenting with that topic. And I'm not too sure Acura would like that either.

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Bysin,

I see your from Orlando.... very cool.... I live about 15 miles north of there near Lake Mary / Sanford area. UCF could use a guy like you !! (I graduated from there in 1994 with an Engineering degree).

I own an 2004 NBP TL and a 2004 NBP TSX both with navi's. Do you think this navidump hack would work on my TL ? My gut feeling is that it would since I know the Navi DVD from the TSX works on my TL.

Have you had any experience trying to make a backup of the navi DVD? There has been alot of research on the TL forum but no one has successful done this.

It appears that someone has backup the DVD on a DL DVD but it could not be read with the NAVI DVD player.

Good work dude !!

Rich
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Instructor

You only have to modifying the one that your car loads. I dont know how to create a backup navigation dvd. And I've been working all night to find a way to edit out the nag screen. A stack of 50 cds and 20 hard reboots later and still no luck.

Originally Posted by iceman804
Hey Bysin i know we are all nagging you and bothering you with our questions so i am very sorry because i ahve a few of my own.

first of all do i have to modify all the bin files with the same info or just one?

second cant i just copy back all the bin files and the other files on the dvd and jsut leave it in th edrive instead of loading from the original then placing the one i modified?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iceman804

1. Read above.

2. No. The system will not read burned DVDs.

3. According to Bysin, he will be releasing a program that will complete the no-nag removal. If you don't want to wait until then, you will need to use a Hex Editor and SH4 dissasembler to do it.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Intermediate

error msg?

i have just tried the vanidump program and everythign seems to go well on my pc but after putting them on cd and trying to load the disc in the car i either cant get back in my car to push the load disc button since it reloads as soon as i close the dvd door or if i try to load the disc run back in the car press load disc and run back out to close the door i get the green box at the top for a second and then i get an error in it please check disc?? what am i doing wrong?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Intermediate

Ok, so maybe I'm not getting something here. I have copied all the BIN files from my DVD on to my pc. I double clicked on the dumpnavi.eve file, and it open up the command prompt, but then it closes. I moved my BIN fine, BN2HN18B.BIN to the navi folder. I then double clicked on the dumpnavi, but the same things still happens. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bysin
Yeah I go to school in Lake Mary (SCC). Do you go to that Courtacy Acura in Sanford?

What is TL's BIN file called? They are all basically the same format so I would imagine it would work. I dont really have a DL DVD drive so I have no way of experimenting with that topic. And I'm not too sure Acura would like that either.
Cool ... I graduated from SCC with A.S. degree back in the 90's. Yeah, I goto Courtsey Acura for my service. However, did not buy my TSX or TL from there. Had a bad experience with the sales department although the service dept has been decent, except for the time they but 6 quarts of oil in my car when it calls for 4.5 !!! :angryfire

I drove to (Jax) Duval Acura and got a smokin deal on both cars.

As for the BIN files on the TL ... To be honest with you I just found this thread tonight and haven't had a chance to look at the bin files on the TL... maybe I will try tomorrow.

Did you buy your TSX from Courtsey ?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

confirmation that this works on the 3rd gen TL (just changed boot image).
Old 04-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Intermediate

please check disk error?

the error i am getting after presing load disc is "please check disk" does anyone know what might be wrong?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

Talking hehheh Happy Birthday dude !

Happy birthday bysin !

Old 04-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Instructor

There are a few I came up with...
Old 04-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Instructor

Use a command line... cmd.exe

dont worry i'm making a gui version for people who dont know how

Originally Posted by smgfan
Ok, so maybe I'm not getting something here. I have copied all the BIN files from my DVD on to my pc. I double clicked on the dumpnavi.eve file, and it open up the command prompt, but then it closes. I moved my BIN fine, BN2HN18B.BIN to the navi folder. I then double clicked on the dumpnavi, but the same things still happens. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Yep about a week ago

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Cool ... I graduated from SCC with A.S. degree back in the 90's. Yeah, I goto Courtsey Acura for my service. However, did not buy my TSX or TL from there. Had a bad experience with the sales department although the service dept has been decent, except for the time they but 6 quarts of oil in my car when it calls for 4.5 !!! :angryfire

I drove to (Jax) Duval Acura and got a smokin deal on both cars.

As for the BIN files on the TL ... To be honest with you I just found this thread tonight and haven't had a chance to look at the bin files on the TL... maybe I will try tomorrow.

Did you buy your TSX from Courtsey ?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Instructor

thanks

Originally Posted by matelot
Happy birthday bysin !

Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Intermediate

fixed error msg..

well for who cares to know i fixed the error i was getting 'please check your disc' i got tha terror whne i tried to do the bin files on a cd and burned it with nero using (UDF) but when i placed them on dvd and used (UDF/ISO) it worked go figure??!!??
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Intermediate

delay??

does anyone feel like there is a delay in the sawped back.bmp or is it just me??
when i had the orignal back.bmp the image used to show on screen as soon as i started my car untill i get the disclamir stuff, but now i get a black screen for like 5 sec's then i get my new back.bmp then the disclamer??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modify your navigation system