2009 TSX (Auto) - Grinding noise after starting car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTSX6MT
I had VTC actuator replaced twice and every time, the noise seemed to dissappear. However, I recently started to hear the grinding noise again! Any suggestions????
yes, i just replaced my VTC actuator 2weeks ago. when i started my car at the dealership, i believe i heard the noise but it was really low and short. so i thought i was paranoid. then my car was quiet for 2weeks. this week i heard the noise again!

anyone had experience about the noise come back after replacement ?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fenlie123
yes, i just replaced my VTC actuator 2weeks ago. when i started my car at the dealership, i believe i heard the noise but it was really low and short. so i thought i was paranoid. then my car was quiet for 2weeks. this week i heard the noise again!

anyone had experience about the noise come back after replacement ?

Do you know there's a revised TSB for this? Maybe talk to the dealer or search the forum to see what the most recent TSB is. Let me know what you find if you do. I simply gave up and made promise to myself to never buying another Honda/Acura.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackTSX6MT
Do you know there's a revised TSB for this? Maybe talk to the dealer or search the forum to see what the most recent TSB is. Let me know what you find if you do. I simply gave up and made promise to myself to never buying another Honda/Acura.
the TSB is to replace the Acuator
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fenlie123
the TSB is to replace the Acuator
Yea i know but that TSB was updated at least once.1 If the TSB doesn't fix the issue, Acura updates the TSB and will get a revision. For example, the old TSB may be 13-001 but the revised TSB may be 13-001A.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Quick question: Since the 1G TSX's K24a2 did not have this VTC Actuator problem, can one be swapped onto the K24z3 in the 2G TSX's to resolve this noise issue (All it is is noise right?)?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sad to say, it looks like we're doomed. Spoke with icrap in another thread and turns out he changed the vtc and it still makes the grinding sound from times to times just like me . Damn it...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced

I replaced the VTC actuator twice. The noise is back again. Hate this car.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
video of the grinding noise on start up

check out this video of the grinding noise if thats it than its the vtec aculator
Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I've had the noise here and there but it has gotten really bad lately and has now happened on 8 out of 10 start ups (no exaggeration, I actually kept count). It used to only happen when the engine was completely cold and when the car was sitting for hours but now if the car is sitting for just an hour or two it does it, and it is REALLY bad and the noise lasts 2-3 times longer than the video above. I recorded a few of the start ups so that I had proof and took my car in for service and when the Techs watched the video one said, "Whoa," so I figured that was not a good sign. But in typical Acura fashion [at least this has been my experience thus far with the numerous issues I have had over the years] they STILL wouldn't replace it and want me to leave the car overnight so that they can hear it for themselves. I completely understand how business works and why there are certain protocols and all of that jazz but when you have a TSB for an issue and a loyal customer comes in with proof, it would be best practice not to inconvenience them any further.

The kicker? I left the dealership and made a stop on the way home and upon start up, the horrible noise happened yet again. Can't wait to make yet another trip to the dealership and be without my car for a day+.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I've had the noise here and there but it has gotten really bad lately and has now happened on 8 out of 10 start ups (no exaggeration, I actually kept count). It used to only happen when the engine was completely cold and when the car was sitting for hours but now if the car is sitting for just an hour or two it does it, and it is REALLY bad and the noise lasts 2-3 times longer than the video above. I recorded a few of the start ups so that I had proof and took my car in for service and when the Techs watched the video one said, "Whoa," so I figured that was not a good sign. But in typical Acura fashion [at least this has been my experience thus far with the numerous issues I have had over the years] they STILL wouldn't replace it and want me to leave the car overnight so that they can hear it for themselves. I completely understand how business works and why there are certain protocols and all of that jazz but when you have a TSB for an issue and a loyal customer comes in with proof, it would be best practice not to inconvenience them any further.

The kicker? I left the dealership and made a stop on the way home and upon start up, the horrible noise happened yet again. Can't wait to make yet another trip to the dealership and be without my car for a day+.

I have had the same issue as well for the last several months. I see that you are in Phila like me. Which dealership did you go to?

I drove out to Limerick and they told me the same thing, to leave the car overnight. This was back in July. I needed a loaner, and they couldn't provide me with one, so I haven't addressed the issue since. It still makes the rattle noise on cold start and the oil consumption has been an issue that I believe is related to this.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrTee12
I have had the same issue as well for the last several months. I see that you are in Phila like me. Which dealership did you go to?

I drove out to Limerick and they told me the same thing, to leave the car overnight. This was back in July. I needed a loaner, and they couldn't provide me with one, so I haven't addressed the issue since. It still makes the rattle noise on cold start and the oil consumption has been an issue that I believe is related to this.
Check your PMs.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM
5th Gear

along with its burning oil. The consumption test is underway. Going to go in tomorrow for them to check the oil level at 3000km
Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my VTC actuator replaced today after having my car at the shop for the past 4 days. Hopefully, the grinding noise on my car stops.

The oil consumption issue may or may not be related. Guess I have to wait and see.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Thread revival.

I recently bought a used 2009 TSX and noticed the grinding noise on startup & low engine oil chime right away. Brought the car into local Acura dealer who diagnosed the issue as resolved after oil change. Issues went away for maybe a few days. Gradually the grinding noise continued past startup, and low engine oil indicator chimes intermittently after the grinding sound is made or I go over a bump. I brought the car to an independent shop to diagnose this issue, I was told that this is a know issue that Honda should repair as a recall.

I called my local area Acura dealer to get this issue addressed referencing the Acura TSB 10-024. I found out that this TSB will not be applied if you are out of warranty. Second step was to call Acura Client Relations, they acted like they had no idea about the TSB and gave the same response as the dealer. All this is a bit weird to me, knowing this is a manufacturer defect. Labor time to replace the actuator has been quoted as low as 3.5 hrs all they way up to 8 hours from various Acura/Honda dealers. TSB mention two hours, but that time is only good for warranty work.

It seems Acura/Honda is more focused on profits, than ensuring safety of their end users ie.. Takata airbag recall. Quality assurance does not seem to be on Honda Motors priority list

I am getting ready to order the replacement parts to address this issue. I have two question I would like to get some advice on.
  1. Is it okay in the meantime to continue to drive this car in this condition? My concerns is the grinding noise does not go away even after driving for 10 minutes?
  2. Aside from the VTC actuator, cam chain, cam chain guides, is there any other parts I should consider replacing? Below are the parts I am considering replacing as part of this service.

Dealer Recommended Part to Replace
ACTUATOR ASSY., VTC (46T) - Part #14310-R40-A01
GUIDE, CAM CHAIN - Part #14530-RZA-A01
GUIDE B, CAM CHAIN - Part #14540-RAA-A02
CHAIN (176L) (DAIDO) - Part #14401-R40-A01
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I realized my car does this as well. And it's only once in a while. Didn't start until I moved up North.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
I realized my car does this as well. And it's only once in a while. Didn't start until I moved up North.
Cold weather seems to be the catalyst for this issue.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elproducto
Cold weather seems to be the catalyst for this issue.
Not for me, it happened all of the time and damp weather seemed to be the culprit in my case...happened far more often when it was damp out vs. on the drier days.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Not for me, it happened all of the time and damp weather seemed to be the culprit in my case...happened far more often when it was damp out vs. on the drier days.
Did you ever get Acura to address this issue for you? If so did they replace any additional parts outside of the VTC Actuator?

To add more grief, now my car does not want to start. I went to go get the car ready for the dealer, it started when I first cranked it. On subsequent attempts it is no longer cranking. It will make the sound like the engine turns over a little bit, if I continue to hold the key after slight crank noise I hear a clicking noise and all dashboard lights begin to blink in same sequence as clicking noise. I guess it was not a good idea to start this car with the VTC issue. I tried the following thing to address the car not starting.
  • Checked the battery voltage, reads about 12.20 Volts, seems a little low. All onboard electronic are working however
  • I used a battery jumper attached to battery to start the car, no go. Shouldn't the jumper provide enough power to crank engine with a undercharged battery issue?
  • Baterry was checked and charged at Autozone, put battery back in car no go. Voltage went to 12.3 Volts, still seems low.
  • Car has a half tank of gas
  • Tried all keys - driver 1 & 2, valet key

What could be wrong? I am thinking either the starter has gone bad or the VTC actuator issue has broken some internal engine component.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Did you ever get Acura to address this issue for you? If so did they replace any additional parts outside of the VTC Actuator?

To add more grief, now my car does not want to start. I went to go get the car ready for the dealer, it started when I first cranked it. On subsequent attempts it is no longer cranking. It will make the sound like the engine turns over a little bit, if I continue to hold the key after slight crank noise I hear a clicking noise and all dashboard lights begin to blink in same sequence as clicking noise. I guess it was not a good idea to start this car with the VTC issue. I tried the following thing to address the car not starting.
  • Checked the battery voltage, reads about 12.20 Volts, seems a little low. All onboard electronic are working however
  • I used a battery jumper attached to battery to start the car, no go. Shouldn't the jumper provide enough power to crank engine with a undercharged battery issue?
  • Baterry was checked and charged at Autozone, put battery back in car no go. Voltage went to 12.3 Volts, still seems low.
  • Car has a half tank of gas
  • Tried all keys - driver 1 & 2, valet key

What could be wrong? I am thinking either the starter has gone bad or the VTC actuator issue has broken some internal engine component.
Could be your starter...the clicking is your relay. Which means your relay is working, and you already know your battery is alright. Might be the next thing to try. If you have manual transmission and you can "pop start" it then I would def say it's your starter.

And an informative video of what your starter is actually doing
Old 01-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, it continued to happen again at every start up so I made an appointment and took it straight to the dealership, where they were able to replicate the problem after keeping the car overnight. The VTC Actuator was replaced and that only lasted about 4.5 months, as I am now getting the noise sporadically again. It is not as bad and not as frequent but unfortunately that matters not to me, and the fact that it is happening again at all in such a short amount of time sucks.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Could be your starter...the clicking is your relay. Which means your relay is working, and you already know your battery is alright. Might be the next thing to try. If you have manual transmission and you can "pop start" it then I would def say it's your starter.

And an informative video of what your starter is actually doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD5Q_PF3pM
I think you may be right. Just wish our starter's was a little easier to get to. That video actually helped a lot. The sound that I mentioned that did not stop while driving sounded a lot like the starter pinion against the fly wheel in this video. The snow in the North East changed my plans but I will try to see if I can do some diagnostics prior to taking the car to the stealership this week.

Yes, it continued to happen again at every start up so I made an appointment and took it straight to the dealership, where they were able to replicate the problem after keeping the car overnight. The VTC Actuator was replaced and that only lasted about 4.5 months, as I am now getting the noise sporadically again. It is not as bad and not as frequent but unfortunately that matters not to me, and the fact that it is happening again at all in such a short amount of time sucks.
Wow that really sucks, repeat issue does make it seem like it is a manufacturing defect. Hope your dealer warranties their work. Most give a 12 month/12000 mile warranty. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Most posters complaining on this thread, seem to own 09 cars. Is this problem relegated to 09 cars, or all 2nd gens?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Finally got the car to the stealership. Verdict is that the Chain is stretched, and they will need to replace the chain, the actuator, and the guides. Once they put these parts on they will need to do some more diagnostics to see if I have any bent valves. The battery and the starter are in good condition. Parts total is $500, I can log into their e-store site and see the total for all these parts is approximately $250, I guess I get the special parts rate. Labor is estimated at 8 hours or labor for the total job, they stated the labor hours are different from what is stated on the TSB as the TSB does not cover the additional parts they have to put on. The estimate total of $1300 for parts and labor, seems a bit high. Does anyone know the actual labor time to put on a timing chain? As this is what is driving the cost up.

Anyways thanks all for your help with this issue.

Last edited by elproducto; 01-29-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Most posters complaining on this thread, seem to own 09 cars. Is this problem relegated to 09 cars, or all 2nd gens?
My dad just bought a '14 base model and it made that noise when I started the car once. I know because I already had my VTC replaced under warranty. I own an 09 though
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow that really sucks, repeat issue does make it seem like it is a manufacturing defect. Hope your dealer warranties their work. Most give a 12 month/12000 mile warranty. Hope it all works out for you.
Thank you! Unfortunately research is showing me that some folks have been through 2-3 of them already so far, so I would agree that it is a manufacturing defect.

Good luck to you as well!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy_CU2
My dad just bought a '14 base model and it made that noise when I started the car once. I know because I already had my VTC replaced under warranty. I own an 09 though
UGH

Now I gotta research the noise and see if I have it or not.

THank you
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Saga continues....

Dealership finished up with the chain an actuator replacement, now they are stating the car is not running at at 100% due to issue with cylinder 1 & 2, they say I have bent valves. They are stating they will need to take the engine head to a machine shop to the tune of $1300 on top of money already spent. Wouldn't the valves be something that can be replaced at the dealer?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

My 2011 started doing this the other day. Same noise as daveelu posted, just trying to get it on video. From a cold start after sitting for a while. Has been far colder here with no problems, -25 °C etc, while the noise has started at about 0 °C and in my garage at around 5 °C. I will try to get it on video to send to the dealer. Mine is also burning oil now slightly. About 4500km and I topped up 0.6L with the full oil change fill being 4.0 L.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi guys, thread update.

About two years back I have reported this VTC noise to my dealer, and they told me that they know nothing about it and couldn't replicate it. I was driving the car the whole time, as usual it is worse in winter and longer periods without driving.

Since I am about to sell the car, and it is winter and I wanted to be everything OK for the next owner, I printed out the TSB (For Acura, even I have Accord Euro) and give instructions to dealer. I left the car overnight at dealer's carpark in freezing winter, and they called me the next morning that they can't hear anything. Suckers.

So, I left here the car for 2 more days, and then I drove to the dealer, insisted to be a mechanic during the start, which was, along with the "engine specialist". So 2 Honda mechanic and I started the engine, it rattled like usual, the "specialist" had the TSB from me and he told me that it is NOT the VTC, that it is the tensioner and that this is not a fault but by design and is OK. The second mechanic said that "all engines make some noises until warm and that I should listen to diesel Hondas what horrible sounds they producing". They told they can replace the tensioner, but the sound will come back as it is by design and no parts were updated and will not cover this by any warranty.

So now I am in a dead end:
- I have the same rattle as all you guys with K24Z3 engine
- It is said it is the VTC and only dealer in my city says it is not and refuses to take action
- MANY people reports that after VTC replaced the noise came back, even multiple times
- dealer says let it go, nobody stated here if this is a crucial thing or only a sound disturbance.
- I said I want to have their claims documented, so they charged me about $5 and give me a report stating "engine sound check - everything OK"
- I have just found a few people claiming engine failures because of VTC http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51...-start-up.html

P.S.: I have a new battery and nothing changed.

Last edited by HHCZ; 03-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 240sxer
After I start my car, engine rolls over, all's great then after 2 seconds I hear loud grinding noise from under the hood that lasts for a second.. Usually this happens over night or when the car's been parked for a while, regardless if its hot outside or cold.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Could be the starter solenoid hanging up, with out hearing the sound it is hard to be specific
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Instructor

So today I ordered the new VTC actuator on my expenses. It will be finished this Thursday. My dealer must think that I am mental.

Also, I wanted to see the part in the Honda system, and it was a update of the part. Original was 14310-R44-A01 now it is 14310-R44-A02. I can't tell if this change is because of a new design or other changes like a new supplier or even just item re-listing, but there was a change for sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Cold start rattle is gone. So it was the VTC.
My dealer really knows nothing.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
I can't find a reference to 14310-R44-A02 anywhere. Only thing that comes up is A01. Could it be that new that it's not even in any of the dealerships' databases?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
I can't find a reference to 14310-R44-A02 anywhere. Only thing that comes up is A01. Could it be that new that it's not even in any of the dealerships' databases?
I have no idea, but I saw the number personally on my eyes at Honda official dealer in their parts department in some of their software.

Keep in mind that I am located in Europe...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Nah I did a search on Google. Nothing comes up if I put double quotes around the part number (i.e., only show results that contain that exact string of text, not "similar"). I do get results for A01 with the double quotes. Odd.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Instructor

I saw in the system that the A1 part was updated by A2.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Never got a chance to update the thread. I ended up taking my car from dealership after they stated I had bent valves. Independent shop found a spark plug that needed replacing. No more check engine light and the card drive fine so far.
wrayman (04-09-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Got my VTC replaced last week... heard the noise again next day... I love my car but its anoying to wait at the morning to be alone to start my car because the sound is so f#$ing embarasing....
xtcnrice (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Im back from honda dealer... made little investigation. My original part number was ending with A01 and have been replaced with A02. That didnt fix the problem. They are writing a service letter to honda hq about my case now and will recieve answer next week. They have also an idea to check oil pump. I will come back and give you guys a review about this so maybe I could help you. Propably I will get another car next week and leave mine for them to investigate the problem... Maybe Im lucky because nr1 Honda mechanic in Poland works there and he is very interested to solve my problem.
xtcnrice (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by born2blaze
Im back from honda dealer... made little investigation. My original part number was ending with A01 and have been replaced with A02. That didnt fix the problem. They are writing a service letter to honda hq about my case now and will recieve answer next week. They have also an idea to check oil pump. I will come back and give you guys a review about this so maybe I could help you. Propably I will get another car next week and leave mine for them to investigate the problem... Maybe Im lucky because nr1 Honda mechanic in Poland works there and he is very interested to solve my problem.
Although this isn't exactly good news, it's great that they're taking action! All the dealerships in the states as far as I know (from the various responses on this forum) simply ignore the issue altogether by saying it's 100% normal.

Please keep us updated, and good luck!

Quick Reply: 2009 TSX (Auto) - Grinding noise after starting car..