Theoretical TSX vs 330ci?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Theoretical TSX vs 330ci?

Okay guys here's what happened. Me and my cousin were talking and as always we landed on the topic of our cars . I told him that my 6mt 2004 tsx should be able to keep up with his 2001 330ci after getting reflashed as I already have a ct intake, dc header, and high flow cat (200-300 cell). As well after the reflash I'm looking towards the lightweight pulley(s) from xlr8/UR. His mods so far would be aftermarket tires, an exhaust, and suspension. From what I've seen and read via youtube and forums/hondata I could get sub 6 seconds 0-60 as well as more power pretty much everywhere else . But what do you guys think? Would the 330 still leave me in the dust?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
TSX is still a heavy girl. I don't think you will be left in the dust, but take out the spare tire, remove the stock seating, and you should be a good few pounds lighter. Every little bit helps in a off the line race.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Racer

tsx was never meant to be a drag racer. don't embarrass yourself and don't kid yourself. unless you have some sort of forced induction, rarely does the k24 do well in a straight line. to put things into perspective, most modern soccer-mom minivans can out drag our cars in a straight line.

on a circuit otoh, with the right mods, you may be able to keep up... and a lot of that depends on the driver's skill.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
tsx was never meant to be a drag racer. don't embarrass yourself and don't kid yourself. unless you have some sort of forced induction, rarely does the k24 do well in a straight line. to put things into perspective, most modern soccer-mom minivans can out drag our cars in a straight line.

on a circuit otoh, with the right mods, you may be able to keep up... and a lot of that depends on the driver's skill.
+1 The TSX does very well on a circuit with lots of mid-speed turns but won't do well in a drag race or a circuit that demands lots of low-end torque.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Instructor

WHAT?! Wow, is it really THAT slow? I know where the 330 and my car lies (stock) but I would figure after the mods, coupled with hondata, I would think that I'd be officially out of slow car status?
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx

Don't you think that soccer mom bit is a little overkill? Trucks/SUVs I can see, but minivans? I just really don't feel that this car is unbearably slow like everyone says. But then again my first car was a 95 ls so anything is fast to me
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
POWER!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Phil
WHAT?! Wow, is it really THAT slow? I know where the 330 and my car lies (stock) but I would figure after the mods, coupled with hondata, I would think that I'd be officially out of slow car status?

Don't you think that soccer mom bit is a little overkill? Trucks/SUVs I can see, but minivans? I just really don't feel that this car is unbearably slow like everyone says. But then again my first car was a 95 ls so anything is fast to me
Have you seen what the Honda Odysseys can do? One walked all over my friend's, cousin's Trans Am on the highway a while back.

I think if your friend had a 325i then it would be a different story, because I stomped my friends 325 in my 01 TL when I had that. Without mods, I dare not challenge again, I miss my torque

This car's not slow, but it ain't fast, but it IS grippy, and I like that a lot.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The TSX nowhere near to being a 0-60 mph type of car. You will spend a lot of $$$ just keep up with a Honda mini-van or V-6 Camry. The most fun I've had in my TSX (A-spec suspension + Progress RSB) was when the road got twisty. A lot of folks don't know the limits of their cars or have the right combo of tires/suspension/driving skills to turn left or right. I've left a few cars with more HP behind because I can carry more speed in a turn and accelerate out faster without scrubbing off speed.

Do a follow the leader road course with turns to see if he can keep up with you.
The following users liked this post:
d1sturb3d119 (10-03-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I think it might be a driver's race. Supposedly an 04 330ci gets a 0-60 in the mid 6s.

That being said, I'm going to say the same thing...the TSX isn't meant to drag race. Its meant to be driven smoothly and keep its momentum in turns. That's the beauty of our gen-1s.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Welp... this is disappointing lol. I am however surprised at the suggestion that it could compete (modded only?) with a bimmer in the handling department. I always knew them as the end all say all on handling when it comes to civilian cars. Of course I'm still going to try and get what ever I can out of this engine. There's just something about being able to say your naturally aspirated i4 family car is getting 230-240 even if only at the crank.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The gearing is wrong on this car, with different gearing the car become a beast (i.e. civic type-r/si gears).
You have all the chances to win or at least be equal with a 330i with the following mods:
reflash, good headers (i.e. Weapon-R) and intake . Anything else will be an extra bonus (pulley, lighter wheels).
k24 responds very well to bolt ons and has a very good aerodynamic.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
in before close. but if you want to make more power you could get flash pro even tho u need a 06-08 ecu and adaptor but with a good tune and and what else you want ont the car you could make 220whp +/- and have a lot of fun.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Japanese cars are built for canyon drives! Stick to that and you'll love your car!
J_Phil (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
Japanese cars are built for canyon drives! Stick to that and you'll love your car!
But I already love my car I'll just love it more once it becomes even more capable lol. Whenever I'm driving it I forget that it's a four door because it just handles so lively and has really good turn in when i manage to manipulate it just right. Not to mention this is on STOCK suspension. I can only imagine what it will be like after a rsb and stiffer/lower suspension (among other things). But right now the focus is straight line speed. Which in all honesty and maybe my naivete I think can reach respectable numbers (especially for an N/A i4) on simple bolt ons and a reflash.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Phil
But I already love my car I'll just love it more once it becomes even more capable lol. Whenever I'm driving it I forget that it's a four door because it just handles so lively and has really good turn in when i manage to manipulate it just right. Not to mention this is on STOCK suspension. I can only imagine what it will be like after a rsb and stiffer/lower suspension (among other things). But right now the focus is straight line speed. Which in all honesty and maybe my naivete I think can reach respectable numbers (especially for an N/A i4) on simple bolt ons and a reflash.
Not naive at all. I know what you mean. I love cars and bikes that do things they weren't really meant to do. Shows off the engineering beauty and ingenuity. Like making a 69 dodge charger a canyon carver!

Weight is a big killer on the strip. If you have the budget and time, you could shave weight off the car by getting rid of unnecessary body panels and fabricating fiberglass or carbon fiber replica's. If you can wrap them in vinyl they would look OEM without the weight. That's what I plan to do with the hood, trunk and front quarter panels of my car. Eventually of course but that would be great. Besides that efficiency is the key so try to make everything you bolt on efficient and make sure it doesn't damage what the car already has.

Take a look at Best Motoring Classic's channel. They do some awesome stuff extracting performance from Japanese cars. Very precise engineering.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5cpi4TA8UbuywCDOa35Xw
J_Phil (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 AM
Intermediate

Hey bud, why dont you just try ?? I bet youll dust him or al least be equal. The car isnt that lightweight but CL has very low drag coefficient and performs very well on high speeds. With those mods your 0-60 will be about 6.5-6.8 sec

Heres CL9 with reflash, intake and headers vs GTI

before reflash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzAlNN16qE#t=19 after reflash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ocZBwAnSUo#t=12 one more.

You can clearly see how stupid gears it has in stock gearbox , 2nd gear is a disaster. Build a nice gearbox with rsx-s gears and youll be very fast.
J_Phil (10-17-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would like to chime in on this subject I have a 04 6spd with a cai and cat delete and yes its not a 1000hp car its not a dog either. I agree that it lacks power off the line but for some reason my car is not. I have a friend that has a 04 330i, we went for a lil run and yes he jumped out at least i car and a half on me but by the time i was going into 3rd i chased him down and whopped him pretty bad.

As far as mods like i said i have a cai and did a cat delete. No reflash,header,exhaust. So i can imagine what ill do with a header/full exhaust and reflash
J_Phil (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by littlebo
Hey bud, why dont you just try ?? I bet youll dust him or al least be equal. The car isnt that lightweight but CL has very low drag coefficient and performs very well on high speeds. With those mods your 0-60 will be about 6.5-6.8 sec

Heres CL9 with reflash, intake and headers vs GTI

Golf GTI DSG mk6 (stock) vs accord type-s CL7 tuned - YouTube before reflash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzAlNN16qE#t=19 after reflash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ocZBwAnSUo#t=12 one more.

You can clearly see how stupid gears it has in stock gearbox , 2nd gear is a disaster. Build a nice gearbox with rsx-s gears and youll be very fast.
If I was in New York this wouldn't be a debate lol.

Originally Posted by 04 cl9
i would like to chime in on this subject I have a 04 6spd with a cai and cat delete and yes its not a 1000hp car its not a dog either. I agree that it lacks power off the line but for some reason my car is not. I have a friend that has a 04 330i, we went for a lil run and yes he jumped out at least i car and a half on me but by the time i was going into 3rd i chased him down and whopped him pretty bad.

As far as mods like i said i have a cai and did a cat delete. No reflash,header,exhaust. So i can imagine what ill do with a header/full exhaust and reflash
That really uplifted my spirits . Did his 330 happen to be automatic? It's hard for me to imagine it getting WALLOPED rather than just a mild victory if any.