Fuel Premium or Regular

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mozin321
If your TSX lasts you 150K miles (most will last longer), and you get an average of 24 MPG(then again, if you drive right, you'll get better efficiency), you'll have burned 6,250 gallons of gas. Since regular gas is about $0.20 cheaper, you'd save $1,250 over the long run.

However, that's not why I get regular gas... I get it 'cuz I'm cheap :-). (and no, there's nothing wrong with that)
I'm using regular because I don't like donating $$ to the oil company. I would give them less as much as possible.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkong222
I'm using regular because I don't like donating $$ to the oil company. I would give them less as much as possible.
Do you know how rediculous that sounds... ha ha ha... I feel sorry for you guys. HA HA HA!!! Some of you guys are hilarious with you reasons for using 87 in a car you bought knowing it asks for 93.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Do you know how rediculous that sounds... ha ha ha... I feel sorry for you guys. HA HA HA!!! Some of you guys are hilarious with you reasons for using 87 in a caryou bought knowing it asks for 93.
, only get 91 here

and shit i don't even look at the price most of the time, i only put in Shell (very rarely do i venture out, and normally that is only a couple of gallons so i can get to a shell), cause it runs the best

btw i have even got the wife to start to exclusively use Shell also , cause even she has noticed her car runs the best on it too (and high octane is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT on her turbo'd car)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
resident asshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is an idea... get a Chevy Aveo...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by odannyboi

you mean a Daewoo... (Aveo is a rebadged Daewoo)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Do you know how rediculous that sounds... ha ha ha... I feel sorry for you guys. HA HA HA!!! Some of you guys are hilarious with you reasons for using 87 in a car you bought knowing it asks for 93.

yep, we'll see who's laughing when gas prices hit $10/gallon.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by odannyboi
no thanks. Why would I wanna spend more $$ buying another car? Think before you speak.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
yep, we'll see who's laughing when gas prices hit $10/gallon.
A .50 cent difference in price when gas is $3 is something you'll notice. That same difference when it's $10 will be noise.

And really, if you want to put it to the oil companies you shoud be driving a hybrid on your way to an electric vehicle. You need to use less, not pay less. They most likely make the same profit margin regardless of grade, so you're not really cutting into them by buying a lower grade. You are only hurting your car.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM

well said. But again it's all about the wallet size in your pocket. I've seen people bought expensive homes but too afraid to turn on their lights at night because it would cost them too much in electricity.
I don't understand those people either. Why would you buy something nice and then not use it. I'd rather drive a TSX and enjoy owning it than a BMW and be a slave to it.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular is probably good enough for these cars. There is nothing special about TSX. It's the cheapest freaking Acura and it shares the same engine as the CRV. The premium gas requirement is there to only make the car more luxurious. But people do buy into it since luxury car owners love spending money.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Louder
A .50 cent difference in price when gas is $3 is something you'll notice. That same difference when it's $10 will be noise.

And really, if you want to put it to the oil companies you should be driving a hybrid on your way to an electric vehicle. You need to use less, not pay less. They most likely make the same profit margin regardless of grade, so you're not really cutting into them by buying a lower grade. You are only hurting your car.
Well, if I was hurting my car with a lower grade gasoline, it would have died many years ago. Let see my car is 06 and it is 2011 and so far I'm averaging 22 city and 28 freeway with regular unleaded and no trouble with the engine whatsoever. Should I be concerned? I don't think so. Again, you can say whatever you want about how the car manufacturer and Honda engineers recommending the highest grade gasoline for the car but I'm sticking with my experience. BTW, by suggesting to me getting a hybrid is ridiculous and telling me to drive less is even more stupid. I have to make a living some how and not driving my car doesn't make any sense. I don't get your post about telling me to buy another vehicle when there's nothing wrong with the current one that I own.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
B A N N E D

And really, if you want to put it to the oil companies you shoud be driving a hybrid on your way to an electric vehicle. You need to use less, not pay less. They most likely make the same profit margin regardless of grade, so you're not really cutting into them by buying a lower grade. You are only hurting your car.
hybrid are not all they are cracked up to be, especially for a sportier car, but yes if you want to be sticking to the oil companies, you should be useing less

and electric will be "slave" to the power companies instead
Originally Posted by malnik
Regular is probably good enough for these cars. There is nothing special about TSX. It's the cheapest freaking Acura and it shares the same engine as the CRV. The premium gas requirement is there to only make the car more luxurious. But people do buy into it since luxury car owners love spending money.
shares the same BASIC engine, but many things are completely different though (i can think of one real fast TSX has an EGR system, while the CRV does not), which is why it requires/recommended premium

nothing special.... then why does it have higher compression then the other K24's

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-10-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
resident asshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no thanks. Why would I wanna spend more $$ buying another car? Think before you speak.
did you eat paint chips as a kid?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Just let people put whatever they want into their tanks(as long as its gas). There's no need for people to start getting hostile over it.. At least without facts to go along with it. One things for sure, gas prices are definitely higher than when just about everyone here bought their Acura.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, if I was hurting my car with a lower grade gasoline, it would have died many years ago. Let see my car is 06 and it is 2011 and so far I'm averaging 22 city and 28 freeway with regular unleaded and no trouble with the engine whatsoever. Should I be concerned? I don't think so. Again, you can say whatever you want about how the car manufacturer and Honda engineers recommending the highest grade gasoline for the car but I'm sticking with my experience. ...
Uhoh. I'm getting 17-24mpg in city driving ... and get as much as 32-35 mph on the highway. MyFuelEconomy.gov computes my average (measured since 2008) at 27 mpg (with 10 other 2006 TSXs reporting, they come up with 27.2). If we do the math, we may find that you're paying MORE annually in gas than I am. I think you're getting 80% of the mileage I'm getting, resulting in more frequent fill-ups, but paying perhaps 98% of my gas prices. ... Depending upon the price of either grade of gas at any given time (I used $3.40 for regular, $3.52 for 91 octane). Whaddya think, or ?

Last edited by davidspalding; 03-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Uhoh. I'm getting 17-24mpg in city driving ... and get as much as 32-35 mph on the highway. MyFuelEconomy.gov computes my average (measured since 2008) at 27 mpg (with 10 other 2006 TSXs reporting, they come up with 27.2). If we do the math, we may find that you're paying MORE annually in gas than I am. I think you're getting 80% of the mileage I'm getting, resulting in more frequent fill-ups, but paying perhaps 98% of my gas prices. ... Depending upon the price of either grade of gas at any given time (I used $3.40 for regular, $3.52 for 91 octane). Whaddya think, or ?
IMO-use what works for you. I am averaging over 30 mpg-(yes I used the old fashion way. I stick with what I am using-works for me and my 100% stock tsx. Just came back from Stevenson Acura (I prefer using the dealer in Pa but they are ok when I can not get to PA)-had an oil change along with their inspection. tires all measured 6/32, brakes were 8mm's fronts and 5mm's backs. (originals). They complimented me on how well it was maintained. We got excellent gas mileage when we drove from Flagstaff to Yuma AZ. (almost 40 MPG
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
IMO-use what works for you. I am averaging over 30 mpg-(yes I used the old fashion way. I stick with what I am using-works for me and my 100% stock tsx. Just came back from Stevenson Acura (I prefer using the dealer in Pa but they are ok when I can not get to PA)-had an oil change along with their inspection. tires all measured 6/32, brakes were 8mm's fronts and 5mm's backs. (originals). They complimented me on how well it was maintained. We got excellent gas mileage when we drove from Flagstaff to Yuma AZ. (almost 40 MPG
According to your posts elsewhere, you drive mostly highway miles. Also, Flagstaff, AZ, to Yuma, AZ, is 322 miles. When cars drive mostly highway miles, their MPG will be higher than when driving city miles. Those cars aren't stopping as much so they don't need to accelerate from stops as much (and thus use more energy to get going).

I am about 315 miles away from Las Vegas, and whenever I go on Vegas trips, my MPG skyrockets (I think it only takes maybe 60% of a full tank of gas to get there). I usually fill up 13 gallons per tank. It takes me about 3-4 hours, so I'm usually going 80 MPH or higher the entire time. So, even though I'm driving faster than the optimal fuel economy speed, I get around 45 MPG, which is higher than your (almost) 40 MPG. My MID at the end of those trips usually indicate around 43 MPG, which is still higher.

IMHO, your MPG can only be compared to other vehicles that do mostly highway miles. Not everyone drives mostly highway miles (unless if they live in rural areas and need to drive large distances to get anywhere...or if they are traveling salesmen). Otherwise, you're comparing your best case scenario MPG with everyone else's mixed city/highway driving MPG.

Also, I suppose if I were to have longer trips at slower speeds, I could do better. I have never been able to join the 500 mile club yet (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/tsx-500-mile-club-660145/page4/#post10652742), whom are the drivers who have managed to drive 500+ miles before needing to get more gas. My city miles after a Vegas trip stops me maybe 50 miles before the 500-mile mark.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Well, if I was hurting my car with a lower grade gasoline, it would have died many years ago. Let see my car is 06 and it is 2011 and so far I'm averaging 22 city and 28 freeway with regular unleaded and no trouble with the engine whatsoever. Should I be concerned? I don't think so. Again, you can say whatever you want about how the car manufacturer and Honda engineers recommending the highest grade gasoline for the car but I'm sticking with my experience. BTW, by suggesting to me getting a hybrid is ridiculous and telling me to drive less is even more stupid. I have to make a living some how and not driving my car doesn't make any sense. I don't get your post about telling me to buy another vehicle when there's nothing wrong with the current one that I own.
Well for starters, I'm not telling you to do anything. This quote:

does not make sense. My only point is buying cheaper gas does not achieve the goal you stated to "donate less to the oil company". Using less gas does. And if you want to use less gas than you do right now, you need something other than a TSX that gets bettter mileage. There is nothing "stupid" about that logic. I can do the math if you want. And I used to drive a Civic hybrid before my TSX. I know the economic benefit of gettting 45 MPG vs. 30.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by friesm2000
hybrid are not all they are cracked up to be, especially for a sportier car, but yes if you want to be sticking to the oil companies, you should be useing less and electric will be "slave" to the power companies instead
I used to own a hybrid, and we can have a long discussion on that. They are, under the right conditions, more economical. And getting 500 miles out of a 11 gallon tank of gas was great. And yes, you more or less shift masters, but for all this "talk" about putting it to the oil companies, no one seems real anxious to do anything practical about it. However on my old hybrid forum, that idea was almost religious.

I did enjoy my hybrid, and will probably get another one when I'm done with my TSX.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by malnik
Really...the same engine as the CR-V...really. Sorry, there are a large number of diffences between the CR-V's engine and the TSX's...starting with higher compression in the TSX's, which causes detonation on lower octane gas, which is OK most of the time, if the knock sensor works right...oh, never mind...
Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
According to your posts elsewhere, you drive mostly highway miles. Also, Flagstaff, AZ, to Yuma, AZ, is 322 miles. When cars drive mostly highway miles, their MPG will be higher than when driving city miles. Those cars aren't stopping as much so they don't need to accelerate from stops as much (and thus use more energy to get going).

I am about 315 miles away from Las Vegas, and whenever I go on Vegas trips, my MPG skyrockets (I think it only takes maybe 60% of a full tank of gas to get there). I usually fill up 13 gallons per tank. It takes me about 3-4 hours, so I'm usually going 80 MPH or higher the entire time. So, even though I'm driving faster than the optimal fuel economy speed, I get around 45 MPG, which is higher than your (almost) 40 MPG. My MID at the end of those trips usually indicate around 43 MPG, which is still higher.

IMHO, your MPG can only be compared to other vehicles that do mostly highway miles. Not everyone drives mostly highway miles (unless if they live in rural areas and need to drive large distances to get anywhere...or if they are traveling salesmen). Otherwise, you're comparing your best case scenario MPG with everyone else's mixed city/highway driving MPG.

Also, I suppose if I were to have longer trips at slower speeds, I could do better. I have never been able to join the 500 mile club yet (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10652742), whom are the drivers who have managed to drive 500+ miles before needing to get more gas. My city miles after a Vegas trip stops me maybe 50 miles before the 500-mile mark.

take the long way home one time, so you can join the 500-mile club

I used to own a hybrid, and we can have a long discussion on that. They are, under the right conditions, more economical. And getting 500 miles out of a 11 gallon tank of gas was great. And yes, you more or less shift masters, but for all this "talk" about putting it to the oil companies, no one seems real anxious to do anything practical about it. However on my old hybrid forum, that idea was almost religious.

I did enjoy my hybrid, and will probably get another one when I'm done with my TSX.
YES under the correct conditions they can be (and with a correct driver , the ICE be on all the time for me....)

but i will say though; is that the manufactures have put some really good warranties on those battery packs, but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, and driving till it dies, good luck with trying to save money when you DO have to pay yourself, to replace those battery packs, cause you are out of the warranty period on it

the other issue with them, especially the prius (not so much the ones with gas only counterparts)
is that if you get ass ended, they crumple easier due to be made out of lighter steel/metal (even though it may be the "same" strength compared to other cars)
or you have to replace a battery pack due to accident damage, or how about replaceing invertors, if you get into a front end collision (say you go under the bumper of a truck, your hood may be f@cked, but the rest of the car is still good, except for that invertor that got crushed)

so they can be very much a throw away car, when you start running repair bills into the $1,000's for a single part
Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM

...but i will say though; is that the manufactures have put some really good warranties on those battery packs, but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, and driving till it dies, good luck with trying to save money when you DO have to pay yourself, to replace those battery packs, cause you are out of the warranty period on it

the other issue with them, especially the prius (not so much the ones with gas only counterparts)
is that if you get ass ended, they crumple easier due to be made out of lighter steel/metal (even though it may be the "same" strength compared to other cars)
or you have to replace a battery pack due to accident damage, or how about replaceing invertors, if you get into a front end collision (say you go under the bumper of a truck, your hood may be f@cked, but the rest of the car is still good, except for that invertor that got crushed)

so they can be very much a throw away car, when you start running repair bills into the $1,000's for a single part
Actually, that was the exact reason I traded in mine. I had an 03 Civic hybrid. But because of when my kids would be in college (and I didn't want any care payments), I needed to drive that car until 2018. That would mean one pack replacement. At the time I bought the car, the dealership was quoting me $600 by the time the 8 year warranty ran out (which would have been now). I think they are a lot more than that. So this will be an interesting time. All of the first gen Prius and Civic Hybrids will have their batteries out of warranty this year. Should be interesting to see how they do.

Anyway, the TSX is a much better ride to have until then.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM
B A N N E D

Actually, that was the exact reason I traded in mine. I had an 03 Civic hybrid. But because of when my kids would be in college (and I didn't want any care payments), I needed to drive that car until 2018. That would mean one pack replacement. At the time I bought the car, the dealership was quoting me $600 by the time the 8 year warranty ran out (which would have been now). I think they are a lot more than that. So this will be an interesting time. All of the first gen Prius and Civic Hybrids will have their batteries out of warranty this year. Should be interesting to see how they do.

Anyway, the TSX is a much better ride to have until then.
iirc they are at least a couple $1000, and last i heard a couple of years ago at least, like in the $5k range

so not a cheap proposition... (labor to actually swap it out would not be too bad though, it's the part's cost)

edit: they will more then likely go longer then the warrenty period by a bit, but when it does need replacement though :ouch:
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

edit: they will more then likely go longer then the warrenty period by a bit, but when it does need replacement though :ouch:
Yes, just what everyone wants to do - have a $2000 bill to keep their 10 year old Civic running...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddies ex wife ran reg all the time in her 08 tl, and yes it did have a ping when she traded it
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
B A N N E D

Yes, just what everyone wants to do - have a $2000 bill to keep their 10 year old Civic running...

BUT i did think of one pro though, your brakes do last longer though, but it might still be a con though, especially if you live in the northeast during the winter, and that is replacing them due to basically them rusting away instead (mainly rotor, but then that embeds crap in the pads though, and what says the calipers will still slide)

but there are a few places where they would really excel though (and they have even been put to use too)
and that would be police cars, especially when sitting on the side of the road, and instead of idling the whole time due to the power drain of the lights (let alone keeping the A/C going) the car will automatically start and stop as necessary (a local department does have an undercover escape hybrid)

next would be Taxi's and again the amount of idling they can do also, especially again with keeping the cabin comfortable, and be able to selectively start and stop as necessary (especially in hotter climates such as vegas)(a couple of local companies here do have Prius' as taxis)

or even those "quick" delivery companies that are more based on timely delivery, then being cheap, with constantly running in and out of businesses
same thing kinda, but the auto parts store delivery trucks would benefit probably too

basically where i am really seeing the most benefit are jobs with ALOT of idling, and being able to selectively idle as necessary
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
B A N N E D

btw just for fun....

the prius battery....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

$2100, plus shipping, which is not going to be cheap by any means, so you are probably easily looking at a $3k repair bill...
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
This thread makes me want to bash my head into a wall. Don't we have enough octane threads?

What's wrong with using what your car asks for? It's what you signed up for when you bought the car, and when all's said and done, using a lower octane gas is worse for your car, and ends up costing you more money anyways.

Consider this: Humans could live fine eating only bread and drinking only water. But would you want to?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Let me help you!

take the long way home one time, so you can join the 500-mile club
There's pretty much only two routes home, and both are about the same distance (either through Palmdale, or through the valley). The long way home would be to drive northwest to Sacramento or something, and then head back south to LA. I suppose trips on the west coast are shorter than those on the east coast or something...there's not as much interesting places to visit.

but i will say though; is that the manufactures have put some really good warranties on those battery packs, but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, and driving till it dies, good luck with trying to save money when you DO have to pay yourself, to replace those battery packs, cause you are out of the warranty period on it
That's the reason why I didn't get a hybrid. I figure that the money I would save on gas would eventually have to be spent on replacing the batteries. Basically hybrid owners are just delaying spending money. Keeping the money in the bank and generating interest (unless you're with Chase...0.01% interest) might be nice, but spending thousands of dollars on an old car won't be fun.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
B A N N E D

There's pretty much only two routes home, and both are about the same distance (either through Palmdale, or through the valley). The long way home would be to drive northwest to Sacramento or something, and then head back south to LA. I suppose trips on the west coast are shorter than those on the east coast or something...there's not as much interesting places to visit.

That's the reason why I didn't get a hybrid. I figure that the money I would save on gas would eventually have to be spent on replacing the batteries. Basically hybrid owners are just delaying spending money. Keeping the money in the bank and generating interest (unless you're with Chase...0.01% interest) might be nice, but spending thousands of dollars on an old car won't be fun.

yeah you can really only head one way i guess and that is east , or north even
where for me, it's like i can head any direction for like at least a 1000 miles

you also have to remember the higher initial costs too, with purchasing the vehicle, so you gotta pay that back before you even start saving any money
you could say you don't have to do oil changes as often, but you still do though, so that will save you a little, but almost nothing worth while though
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Whether it pays off will depend on a lot of things, but the big drivers are how much you drive, the cost of gas, and the cost of the batteries. Depending on those things you can still come out ahead even if you replace the packs. But I was told $600-800 when I bought my Civic in 02 (they were projecting what the $3000 packs cost in 2003 to what they'd be in 2011). Turns out that is turning into a huge failed assumption. Because if the cost is still $3000 (or even $2000), replacing the pack amounts to totalling the car - the repair is worth more than the car. Unfortunate, because a hybrid's value will drop to $0 when the batteries wear out.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
B A N N E D

Whether it pays off will depend on a lot of things, but the big drivers are how much you drive, the cost of gas, and the cost of the batteries. Depending on those things you can still come out ahead even if you replace the packs. But I was told $600-800 when I bought my Civic in 02 (they were projecting what the $3000 packs cost in 2003 to what they'd be in 2011). Turns out that is turning into a huge failed assumption. Because if the cost is still $3000 (or even $2000), replacing the pack amounts to totalling the car - the repair is worth more than the car. Unfortunate, because a hybrid's value will drop to $0 when the batteries wear out.
not quite, but yes it will take a bit of a hit though in the blue book value though, cause they still need replacing to get the car back up and running properly
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Advanced

I traded a 09 Fit for my 06 TSX. Now I bitch and moan about having to buy premium but I do it. I saw a video on msn about this topic too and I double checked my car to see. I guess you have to pay to play. Hey, Flipster, I own an energy dome. We are DEVO.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Advanced

Hey now, I'm spending more than that to swap a gsr into my EM1 lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by sixwhip14
Hey now, I'm spending more than that to swap a gsr into my EM1 lol.
i dumped like $4500-5000 on my 6 speed swap, on a 8 year old car with 120k on it...

but the majority of the public WILL NOT want to spend that type of money on a older car though, especially the higher mileage it is
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

Also, I suppose if I were to have longer trips at slower speeds, I could do better. I have never been able to join the 500 mile club yet (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10652742), whom are the drivers who have managed to drive 500+ miles before needing to get more gas. My city miles after a Vegas trip stops me maybe 50 miles before the 500-mile mark.
I not trying to make into a debate-I do enjoy reading your posts. After Yuma we headed to San Diego. Beautiful area-Went to a acura meet on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. (May 08). There was an tl owner that converted it into a hybrid. We then headed to Las Vegas. (hoover dam, lake mead) into az, co (northeast) wy, hopped on 80, stopped in Sidney, Nebraska, Council Bluff, Iowa and then Pa for a wedding, headed back to NC.
Highway driving for me: 95 is like Highway 5 but but with less lanes (the south part of 5). Time it right you get lots of commuter traffic (Washington DC, Richmond VA, Baltimore, Maryland, etc) You also have toll stops. Want to make it to the 500 club=Drive to San Francisco(about 500 miles from San Diego and then head east to Reno, NV.=another 200+ miles (yes we did that). Consider that 500+ drive from San Diego to be the same as me driving from NC north. You remain in one state. I get to drive in 5
Enjoy, and be safe.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 03-13-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

I not trying to make into a debate-I do enjoy reading your posts. After Yuma we headed to San Diego. Beautiful area-Went to a acura meet on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. (May 08). There was an tl owner that converted it into a hybrid. We then headed to Las Vegas. (hoover dam, lake mead) into az, co (northeast) wy, hopped on 80, stopped in Sidney, Nebraska, Council Bluff, Iowa and then Pa for a wedding, headed back to NC.
Highway driving for me: 95 is like Highway 5 but but with less lanes (the south part of 5). Time it right you get lots of commuter traffic (Washington DC, Richmond VA, Baltimore, Maryland, etc) You also have toll stops. Want to make it to the 500 club=Drive to San Francisco(about 500 miles from San Diego and then head east to Reno, NV.=another 200+ miles (yes we did that). Consider that 500+ drive from San Diego to be the same as me driving from NC north. You remain in one state. I get to drive in 5
Enjoy, and be safe.
I just reread what I wrote- we did drive from San Francisco to Reno but not from San Diego to San Francisco. We drove from Seattle (it was sunny, blue skies when we were there). thru Oregon (along the coast on Highway 1) to San Francisco. It rained the whole way thru Oregon. Beautiful scenery but the speed limit of 20 MPH on twisty roads was interesting.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM
B A N N E D

I just reread what I wrote- we did drive from San Francisco to Reno but not from San Diego to San Francisco. We drove from Seattle (it was sunny, blue skies when we were there). thru Oregon (along the coast on Highway 1) to San Francisco. It rained the whole way thru Oregon. Beautiful scenery but the speed limit of 20 MPH on twisty roads was interesting.

perfect roads...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Let me help you!

Enjoy, and be safe.
I agree, no debate here. Just trying to make sure anyone who finds this thread in the future (who knows, maybe years from now) is able to make the right comparisons to their own driving style.

I remember when I visited the east coast a while back...I was surprised how easy it is to go from one state to another. I saw signs welcoming me to a new state after what seemed to be short drives. Here on the west coast, it takes a long time to leave the state. One of these days I'll do a road trip similar to yours. Maybe I can add miles by driving along the coast on Pacific Coast Highway. The one and only time I did that, it seemed like the trip was 2 hours longer than the route I took on the 5.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Someday ... long hence ... alien archeologists will find all the "which gas" threads on tsx.acurazine.com ... and it will tell them much about state of our collecctive intellect at the turn of this century ... and they will larf their arses (or whatever they have) off for days on end.

Time to . These threads always break down into Romper Room food fights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Premium or Regular