2014 Last Year for 2004-05 TSX Orange NAV DVD Updates

Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 Last Year for 2004-05 TSX Orange NAV DVD Updates

Just a heads up for those with a First Gen 2004-05 TSX with Navigation (like myself). I just went to the Acura Navigation website where you can purchase the new NAV DVD updates and the site says "This 2014 map update is the final release for your vehicle and quantities will be available while supplies last."

Here is a link to the site...

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...ca-Site/en_US/

The Orange NAV DVD's were used on the 2004-2005 TSX's as well as the 2004 Acura RL, 2004-06 TL and the 2003-04 MDX.

This isn't surprising of course. With the car being 10 years old now and there was probably a small percentage of TSX's with the NAV sold as it was a $2000 upgrade as I recall (it is actually what sold me on the car). The crazy $149 cost of the update DVD and most of all the fact that everyone has a smartphone with far superior navigation built in for free (Google Maps etc...) to what came in my 04 TSX that they probably weren't selling enough to justify offering them.

I actually have been buying many of the updates each year over the past decade because I have been able to sell my previous versions on eBay for almost what I paid for the new one. I just looked on eBay and someone actually paid $159 for the 2013 version when you can buy the 2014 version for $149. That's eBay for you.

Last edited by GeorgeTSX; 03-26-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think you can use the Honda Accord 03-05 2014 Orange DVD Map Update v3.D0 version also. Sometimes the used Honda version might be a little cheaper on eBay because is doesn't have the Acura logo on it. I never tried using the Honda version of the Acura DVD updates. It might change your splash screen to Honda logo instead of Acura at worst.

I guess my 06 TSX Navi isn't far behind.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I just bought the 2014 update for my TL. $99 for a DVD doesn't seem super bad- my last 2010 DVD set me back $149 so this is a relative bargain. Shipping and handling also dropped this time around and is $3.95 .vs. $9.95 last time.

I prefer the larger car screen over my phone for established areas- for new areas the phone is the only game in town.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I just bought the 2014 update for my TL. $99 for a DVD doesn't seem super bad- my last 2010 DVD set me back $149 so this is a relative bargain. Shipping and handling also dropped this time around and is $3.95 .vs. $9.95 last time.

I prefer the larger car screen over my phone for established areas- for new areas the phone is the only game in town.
Thanks for posting this about the NAV DVD sale! I was debating whether to get the 2014 edition for my 2004 TSX especially since this is the final update. $149 seemed steep but I went ahead and got it for $99 because I know I can get at least that much for my 2013 edition on eBay.

For those who don't know they have a $50 off sale until July 6, 2014 off the regular $149 price for the NAV updates.

See this page for details...

http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/a...em-map-updates
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Drifting

^ you'll get more map details from www.acuranavi.com as well. I wish there was a convenient way to compare my current 2010 DVD to 2014 to see how much has changed with the maps. The 2014 DVD has some significant changes for Canada though.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

^ you'll get more map details from www.acuranavi.com as well. I wish there was a convenient way to compare my current 2010 DVD to 2014 to see how much has changed with the maps. The 2014 DVD has some significant changes for Canada though.
Actually the link on the page I posted takes you to the same place that acuranavi.com does.

I would say quite a bit has changed from 2010 to 2014. Here is a PDF of the 2012 detailed map coverage document that they used to have on the website each year which should give you an idea of how much changed in the 2 years since yours came out...

http://ebookbrowsee.net/nt-acura-201...pdf-d322692483

Plus, a few copies of the 2010 Orange DVD have sold on eBay for $130 in the past few months. So it might be worth it to sell your old disc and upgrade to the 2014 version. Especially if you plan on keeping your car for a while since 2014 is the final update. That is exactly what I am doing with my 2013 version. I should be able to upgrade from 2013 to 2014 without it costing me anything (and maybe making a profit). It blows my mind what some people pay for stuff on eBay. A copy of the decade old 2004 orange disc sold for around $110 in February. Why on earth would someone pay $110 for 10 year old map and POI data for their nav system??? Good grief. Do an eBay seach for "acura orange nav dvd" and show only "sold listings" and it will blow your mind what people are paying for old DVD's when they can get the latest versions for $99 to $149.

Last edited by GeorgeTSX; 04-21-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think you can use the Honda Accord 03-05 2014 Orange DVD Map Update v3.D0 version also. Sometimes the used Honda version might be a little cheaper on eBay because is doesn't have the Acura logo on it. I never tried using the Honda version of the Acura DVD updates. It might change your splash screen to Honda logo instead of Acura at worst.

I guess my 06 TSX Navi isn't far behind.
Actually, I bet we have more time than the 04-05 TSX's had. The white DVD, which is what the 06's use, is also used in the:

RL 2006-2012
TL 2007-2008
MDX 2006-2009
RDX 2007-2012

So, if they do the full 10 years of support for the newest model listed above, the RL or RDX 2012, we can get the 2022 map update. Yeah, I doubt that too, but say they do at least 5 years of map updates, that'll get us to 2017, which will work for me.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:05 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

I just got the 2014 ORANGE DVD in the mail today. After I installed it I verified the date of the database and it says 20130318. Which I interpret to mean the database was put together on March 18, 2013. Frustrating that you are paying for year old data with these DVD's. But that is how it has always been with these DVD's more or less. Although in the past I seem to recall the database being in late summer or fall of the previous year in past versions. In any case, this is the final ORANGE NAV update for the 2004-05 TSX's, so I won't have that to complain about anymore.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

I found a PDF of the 2013 Update here...

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/int...ange_v3.C0.pdf

I haven't found one for the 2014 update yet.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Drifting

I just loaded the new DVD. The thing I noticed was the improved speed of loading a personal address- you get the initial left/right turn direction within 7 seconds for a 200 mile trip. It seems much quicker than before and shows a progress bar with actual % numbers along the bottom of the progress bar. The other thing I noticed was a personal address that could not load but ultimately could after I retyped the address. I think the DVD may have revised GPS coordinates and old saved addresses might be slightly off to cause this error. The downside is that the personal address gets removed so you're forced to recreate it. This happened to only one personal address so it's not a huge deal.

I didn't notice any other features. These DVD's are always hopelessly out of date with POI's. It still lists restaurants near my house that have been closed for 2+ years. Come to think of it, I think the DVD also shows a 'range' status when searching for restaurants of a certain type too- that seems new. I noticed this when I searched for 'Kabob Shop' and it started going 10 miles... 50 miles ... ,etc. It never did find the Kabob Shop in Encinitas which has been around for at least a year.

Anyway, I think the update is worth it for the speed alone. I use to get pretty annoyed when entering an address in an unfamiliar town and waiting for 30 seconds or longer before knowing if to turn left or right at the next intersection. I think that issue will be resolved with the improved load speed.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

I just loaded the new DVD. The thing I noticed was the improved speed of loading a personal address- you get the initial left/right turn direction within 7 seconds for a 200 mile trip. It seems much quicker than before and shows a progress bar with actual % numbers along the bottom of the progress bar. The other thing I noticed was a personal address that could not load but ultimately could after I retyped the address. I think the DVD may have revised GPS coordinates and old saved addresses might be slightly off to cause this error. The downside is that the personal address gets removed so you're forced to recreate it. This happened to only one personal address so it's not a huge deal.

I didn't notice any other features. These DVD's are always hopelessly out of date with POI's. It still lists restaurants near my house that have been closed for 2+ years. Come to think of it, I think the DVD also shows a 'range' status when searching for restaurants of a certain type too- that seems new. I noticed this when I searched for 'Kabob Shop' and it started going 10 miles... 50 miles ... ,etc. It never did find the Kabob Shop in Encinitas which has been around for at least a year.

Anyway, I think the update is worth it for the speed alone. I use to get pretty annoyed when entering an address in an unfamiliar town and waiting for 30 seconds or longer before knowing if to turn left or right at the next intersection. I think that issue will be resolved with the improved load speed.
When you inserted the new 2014 DVD was there a Firmware update? It's been a number of years I think since a DVD updated my firmware on my 2004 TSX. I can't remember the last time the firmware was updated on my TSX NAV. Many of the early DVD updates had firmware updates on them.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Drifting

I didn't notice any firmware update. The CD loaded very quickly. I simply put the car in ACC-1 key position and ejected the 2010 DVD and replaced with 2014. It took less than 2 minutes to do everything.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never updated the nav DVD on my '04 TL so I thought I would buy ($99) the 2014 orange edition since it was the final update. It took about 1/2 hour to load. It appears that it did a firmware update. Anyway, i checked the database release date, it was 20130318, same as another poster. It seems that I got maps that were mostly created in 2012. I'm wondering if they even bothered to update between the 2013 and 2014 release.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Originally Posted by texas04tl
I never updated the nav DVD on my '04 TL so I thought I would buy ($99) the 2014 orange edition since it was the final update. It took about 1/2 hour to load. It appears that it did a firmware update. Anyway, i checked the database release date, it was 20130318, same as another poster. It seems that I got maps that were mostly created in 2012. I'm wondering if they even bothered to update between the 2013 and 2014 release.
If that was the first update you have done since you got the car then it certainly had a firmware update. I remember the first update I bought for my 04 TSX changed the looks of the graphics of the interface. There were firmware updates to fix bugs for a number of years. As far as the date of the database for the 2014 edition being 20130318, every update I have purchased has the database date from that previous year. The date of the database varied from year to year. I remember dates as late as August or September. I don't think I have seen one as far back as March. I don't recall the date of the 2013 update but I am certain it was from earlier in 2012. So there was definitely map and POI updates between 2013 and 2014. It's just disappointing that the data is a year old.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
If that was the first update you have done since you got the car then it certainly had a firmware update. I remember the first update I bought for my 04 TSX changed the looks of the graphics of the interface. There were firmware updates to fix bugs for a number of years. As far as the date of the database for the 2014 edition being 20130318, every update I have purchased has the database date from that previous year. The date of the database varied from year to year. I remember dates as late as August or September. I don't think I have seen one as far back as March. I don't recall the date of the 2013 update but I am certain it was from earlier in 2012. So there was definitely map and POI updates between 2013 and 2014. It's just disappointing that the data is a year old.
GeorgeTSX:

I have a 2005 Acura TSX with navigation and satellite radio. I have never updated the navigation since I got the car new in 2005.

One of the reasons I have been reluctant to update is that I have read that the upgrade disc changes the colors and icons of the background of both the navigation and satellite radio. screens.

Two questions:

1) Do you still have a subscription to the XM radio that came with the car? If you do, after you upgraded the navigation, did the upgrade change the look or colors of the preset station buttons on the navigation screen for the different satellite radio stations? I still have the satellite radio subscription. It has a blue background with large buttons. I like this look and I don't want changes to it. Did upgrade change the background color from blue to orange?

2) Does the navigation upgrade change the color of the background in the navigation screen? Can you still get the blue background? Or did it change to orange?

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
GeorgeTSX:

I have a 2005 Acura TSX with navigation and satellite radio. I have never updated the navigation since I got the car new in 2005.

One of the reasons I have been reluctant to update is that I have read that the upgrade disc changes the colors and icons of the background of both the navigation and satellite radio. screens.

Two questions:

1) Do you still have a subscription to the XM radio that came with the car? If you do, after you upgraded the navigation, did the upgrade change the look or colors of the preset station buttons on the navigation screen for the different satellite radio stations? I still have the satellite radio subscription. It has a blue background with large buttons. I like this look and I don't want changes to it. Did upgrade change the background color from blue to orange?

2) Does the navigation upgrade change the color of the background in the navigation screen? Can you still get the blue background? Or did it change to orange?

Thanks for any input.
Unfortunately XM Radio wasn't available in the 2004 TSX (as well as a few other nice updates that the 2005 got) so I don't have XM Radio.

However, I noticed on Set-Up screen #3 on the NAV in my 2004 that I can change the background color from Blue, Gray, Amber and Red (I use Gray).

When I did my first update it might have changed the background color from the Gray to Blue that it originally was, but I was able to change it back on Set-Up screen #3.

It was 10 years ago so I don't remember. I might have commented on here about it back then. I will have to check my old posts. If the update defaults to a certain color maybe you can change it back? Also, the icons did change after from what they were when I got my TSX in April 2003 after I applied the first available update that came out later than year (probably the 2004 update). I would imagine your 2005 would have already had those icon updates by that time. There were no icon updates (to the 2004 TSX NAV at least) after that.

In any case, if you plan on keeping the car for a while and the navigation system matters to you (it might not if you have Google Maps etc... on a Smartphone) I would definitely consider getting the 2014 update. It will contain a number of bug and performance fixes for the NAV and possibly the XM Radio plus it is going to have a massive amount of updates to the map and point-of-interest data (although, to be honest, if you have a smartphone, looking up points of interest is far faster and up-to-date than the Acura NAV system which was always a frustrating experience for me). The 2014 update is $99 now until July 6, 2014 when it goes back up to $149. Plus they said when they run out of 2014 discs that's it for the Orange DVD NAV updates. I would definitely get one while you can. Plus you can sell your old one on eBay. Someone paid $41.65 for the 2004 update just a few days ago (which blows my mind considering how old that data is and that you can buy much newer ones on eBay for about that same price).
Old 06-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just purchased the '14 Nav DVD Disc for my 04 TSX and it is still $99. Shipping was $3 and a extra $9 in tax, so it cost me about $111 shipped. I could never get around to paying for map updates on my TSX considering the ones on the Smart Phone are so much better but with this being the last year for the TSX map update and my peference for the large screen GPS, I bite.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

I just sold my 2013 Orange NAV DVD on eBay for $99 (which is the same price you can get the 2014 version currently (plus local taxes). If you subtract the eBay and Pay Pal fees the 2014 update cost me about $20. So it was worth it, especially since this is the last update for my 2004 Acura TSX's NAV system.

Last edited by GeorgeTSX; 06-10-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav DVD for sale U3131-0075-309

I have an 06 Acuta TL. I use my phone 99% of the time and I understand the last nav update was 2014/13. Does anyone still have the DVD and want to sell it cheap. $99 with a $4 ship isn't really worth it to have maps 6 years out of date, but it would be nice to use on some basic long distance drives so I'm not killing my cell phone battery.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:06 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Originally Posted by David Reed
I have an 06 Acuta TL. I use my phone 99% of the time and I understand the last nav update was 2014/13. Does anyone still have the DVD and want to sell it cheap. $99 with a $4 ship isn't really worth it to have maps 6 years out of date, but it would be nice to use on some basic long distance drives so I'm not killing my cell phone battery.
Yes, the final update for the Orange NAV DVD's that your 2006 TL (and my 2004 TSX) use was the 2014 Orange DVD Map Update v3.D0. It is pretty crazy what people are trying to get for old Navigation DVD's on eBay. Maybe you can try and contact one of the eBay sellers of these and tell them that you can buy a new one from Acura for $99 and see if you can get a deal? Sometimes I think they put these up on eBay and forget about them don't realize the older the discs get the less valuable they become. I see many trying to sell old DVD's for $200 which doesn't make sense .

Here is a link to the Acura orange DVD auctions on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...NAV+DVD+orange

I rarely use my NAV system on my 2004 TSX anymore. I have an iPhone XS and I use the app WAZE and have a car charger connected to it when I drive.