How to move gas pedal forward to be in line with brake pedal?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to move gas pedal forward to be in line with brake pedal?

Just got a 2011 TSX and really like it. Only annoying thing is that the gas pedal is about 2-3 inches behind the brake pedal and this seems to be putting some strain on my leg. In my old car I could switch from gas to brake just by rotating my ankle.

Is there any way to bring the gas pedal (really just the top of it) forward by an inch or two? I noticed there was a linkage behind the gas pedal - it seems if you replaced the connector with a slightly longer one, it would solve the problem. Has anyone tried this?

The other option is to bolt a spacer (a block of wood or something) to the front of the gas pedal, but this sounds kind of ghetto, and I wouldn't want it to come loose while driving.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44226643@N06/5586142537/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44226643@N06/5586736898/
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

have you ever heard of sudden acceleration?
If you press the gas and the brake at the same time... lets say in a panic while parking you car with your toddler running to the garage...the car motor will over power the brake...
it has been known to happen on several makes and that is a primary reason they are not coplanar

i would leave it at factory specs...
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Fair point but I have driven plenty of cars lately that have the gas and brake in roughly the same plane and I have yet to run over anyone.

Even if there was a solution that would move the accelerator up an inch or move the brake back an inch, that would be an improvement.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by soupcxan
In my old car I could switch from gas to brake just by rotating my ankle.
That's the improper way to brake, or at least that's what they say in driver's training. The right way is to lift your foot and step on the brakes so that you have the ability to press on the brakes harder in case you need to. If you rotate your ankle to slow down, and then suddenly a pedestrian jumps out, you'll have to re-position your foot to put more pressure on the pedal. Nothing may have happened to you yet, but there is always a first time.

Originally Posted by soupcxan
Is there any way to bring the gas pedal (really just the top of it) forward by an inch or two? I noticed there was a linkage behind the gas pedal - it seems if you replaced the connector with a slightly longer one, it would solve the problem. Has anyone tried this?
Looking at the pictures, it seems like something could be jury-rigged. However, I would advise against it since if it were to come off while you were driving, you might get stuck and not be able to accelerate the car to get over to the side of the road.

You might want to look at an aftermarket pedal set and only install the gas pedal one. They mount on top of the stock pedals, so it would bring them closer to the same plane (if you don't install the one for the brake pad).

I think if you were on the gas pedal and needed to brake, though, you would need to lift your toes a few inches anyway to get on the brake pedal. Having to lift your toes an extra inch or two should be better than messing around with your pedals.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
That's the improper way to brake, or at least that's what they say in driver's training. The right way is to lift your foot and step on the brakes so that you have the ability to press on the brakes harder in case you need to. If you rotate your ankle to slow down, and then suddenly a pedestrian jumps out, you'll have to re-position your foot to put more pressure on the pedal.
I didn't describe it very well but normally the ball of my foot is directly over the brake pedal and the heel of my foot is perpendicular to the floor of the car, so I get maximum braking pressure. Then I rotate my foot about 60 degrees to the right (keeping my heel in the same place) to apply the gas, since the gas pedal takes less pressure than the brake.

Agree that installing an aftermarket gas pedal over the stock one is probably going to be the solution. Maybe I can add a spacer between the new pedal and the old one to get an inch of lift out of it.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The accelerator pedal on the TSX and I assume other Acura's pivot from the bottom. I think moving it is going to be difficult and applying a pedal cover will gain you a few mm.

My VW was very much as you describe, all three pedals in the same plane. Made heel/toe driving much easier. Not possible on the Acura.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
yeah, i was just gonna say, get an aftermarket pedal and add a spacer. I just got a new pedal and i got it from a great place if you want a link broski