Help with my Navi? Keeps on trying to reboot

Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help with my Navi? Keeps on trying to reboot

My Navi seems to be caught is a loop where it shows the Acura Globe screen and goes blank then back to the Acura Globe screen. Sometimes it will boot up completely, but after a few min with the GPS map it seems to restart and goes back to the Globe Screen. Has anybody else had this issue? Did a quick google search for it (b/c i couldn't find anything here) and it seems that some people have experienced this same thing with thier 04 Honda Accords - they share the same Navi unit, right?

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow morning to have them check it out. I really hope i don't have to replace the Navi computer b/c i'm sure its not cheep, but if its a reoccuring prob shouldn't Acura/Honda replace it for free??
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

** Bump **
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Guessing you aren't still under warrenty, right?

Maybe your navi disc got scratched or something, and it can't read something so it just reboots and keeps trying again. Doesn't seem likely though, you probably have never taken the navi disc out, right?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

actually .. took it to the dealership to get it checked out. They told me that my navigation hard drive needed to be replaced. $5,000 repair .... lucky for me the dealership said they would fix it free of charge. My car is 15k past warranty ... got lucky i suppose.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

I think I have the same problem, but mine keeps going back to the screen after the Acura/Earth picture with orange text where you have to press OK again.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
私はより良い

Originally Posted by VT-TSX
actually .. took it to the dealership to get it checked out. They told me that my navigation hard drive needed to be replaced. $5,000 repair .... lucky for me the dealership said they would fix it free of charge. My car is 15k past warranty ... got lucky i suppose.
ummm the tsx's navi doesnt have a hard drive....
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

It does .. its the computer that controls the A/C, Trip Computer, Calender, stores your previously entered destinations etc ...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

It does .. its the computer that controls the A/C, Trip Computer, Calender, stores your previously entered destinations etc ...
That information is not stored on a hard drive. The only drive would be the one in the trunk that reads the navigation disc.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Instructor

There is obviously some kind of volitale memory that stores all this information. If it were a hard drive it would retain everything should the battery go. How much Nav stuff do you loose when the battery goes? I'm guessing everything since you have to re-enter the unlock code. Wouldn't be the case if it was a hard drive since one of it's main advantages is non-volitility(retains data when power removed from it).

Think of it as RAM in your computer, once you turn off the PC(akin to removing the battery) all of it's information is erased.

Acura service might call it a hard drive, but it's probably not a real conventional "hard drive". Probably just some kind of memory.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
私はより良い

agreed with the poster above...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ak3883
There is obviously some kind of volitale memory that stores all this information. If it were a hard drive it would retain everything should the battery go. How much Nav stuff do you loose when the battery goes? I'm guessing everything since you have to re-enter the unlock code. Wouldn't be the case if it was a hard drive since one of it's main advantages is non-volitility(retains data when power removed from it).

Think of it as RAM in your computer, once you turn off the PC(akin to removing the battery) all of it's information is erased.

Acura service might call it a hard drive, but it's probably not a real conventional "hard drive". Probably just some kind of memory.

Your personal settings on the Navi are definitely volatile. It's the same as the radio presets. Once you disconnect the battery the data disappears.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^fwiw, I disconnected my battery yesterday and all of my stations/presets were retained.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi VT-TSX,

The nav on my '04 TSX started doing the same exact thing this past weekend:

* Switch key to ON position
* Navi splash screen pops up
* Wait 1-2 minutes
* Screen goes blank for one second as the system attempts to reboot
* Navi splash screen displays again (never reaches the "OK" screen)
* Repeats - goes on forever so long as the car is on.

I'm trying to debug it (mine's already out of warranty) - do you have any links to Honda Accord reports of this behavior?

Thanks,
djpinoy
Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen people post about this problem (the reboot loop) and it seems the solution usually works out to sending the box that's mounted in the trunk to Alpine (the supplier of the part) to be fixed.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

FWIW, I followed some of the troubleshooting in the service manual but didn't get very far:

* All fuses and electrical connections tested ok
* Holding "Map/Guide", "Menu", and "Cancel" on boot does not get me to the diagnostic menu
* Shorting the SCS connector with a paper clip doesn't get me to the diagnostic menu either (see http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do...srs-reset.html )
* I noticed that on some reboots, the DVD drive will successfully spin up and read some data, and I will get to the Navi pin screen. However, touching the buttons on the screen doesn't input any code (you hear a beep from the first press, but it "freezes" after that). Eventually, the system reboots itself as usual
* One time out of the 50 or so reboot during my drive home from work, the "OK" screen finally loaded through. The system worked for about 5 minutes, then rebooted again, and I haven't gotten it back since...
* Taking apart the Navigation Unit didn't yield anything interesting (no physical damage observed)

More information about navi hardware and operation can be found here:
http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewtopic.php?id=2

Now I'm frustrated that I can't do much else Anyone know where I can just get a replacement unit (used if possible)? Part number is P/N: 39541-SEC-A010-M1. Ref No. BN433AB. Also exploring possibilities to swap out with units from other make/model cars...

LukeaTron: Any links to the posts around here that describe how to send the unit back to Alpine?

Thanks,
djpinoy
Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Talk to the dealer. They should be able to put you in contact. IIRC Alpine charges about $150 to refurbish the unit. Definitely cheaper than a used one.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Hi,

I recently sent my Drive to Alpine as i was getting the Error Disc Read Error. pls consult your dealer.

Alpine resolved the problem for 150/- and it is working fine now..

mars
Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Drifting

^^ There you go.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

OK - found the 1-800 to Alpine on the Acura TSB listed here:
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B06-001.pdf

Called to get the details - it's $158 to refurbish the unit (I gave them them the part number listed above). No RMA number or anything is needed, just need to package it up well (UPS or FedEx are preferred to ensure proper tracking) and send it to:

Alpine Electronics
2012 Abalone Avenue
Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

In the box, be sure to include your full name, return address, and day time telephone number, along with a description of the problem. You can also pre-pay via check or money order (I'm guessing payable to "Alpine Electronics", but not confirmed) or the lady on the phone said that you can wait and someone will call you with the details and they can take your credit card over the phone. It will be mailed back via UPS ground.

To make sure it's a Navi problem, I'm going to try and swap the unit with a friend of mine who has an '07 TSX and just make sure that it boots up. Will post more as things go on...
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Glad you were able to get it worked out with relatively little fuss.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
4th Gear

I hate to revive an old thread here but is there any more info on the outcome of the Alpine refirb? Did that solve the problem?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Hi se=real,

Yep - sorry - didn't report back the results, but I got the unit back, reinstalled it, put in my original CD and it worked just fine. Definitely recommended over buying a replacement off eBay / junkyard / etc. I confirmed that this was my actual unit, looks like they just repaired it and sent it back.

Let us know if you're looking for any other feedback!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 PM
9th Gear

They ussually repair the lens tha become damaged over time....like any other dvd reader....dust form the trunk, high and low temperatures and also movement can affect this units....they should use hard drives.....I got my unit replaced ....$4800.....incredible....when a portable gps is $100 .....and that price is only the unit, not the whole system with antenna and screen....they are thiefs.....fortunately my insurance paid....I would have sent it to alpine...but....I didnt pay a thing

Guys, you can use a lens cleaner, or disconect the battery for 30 minutes to clean the memory....or get a non scratched disc....sometimes these are easy fixes.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by djpinoy
Hi se=real,

Yep - sorry - didn't report back the results, but I got the unit back, reinstalled it, put in my original CD and it worked just fine. Definitely recommended over buying a replacement off eBay / junkyard / etc. I confirmed that this was my actual unit, looks like they just repaired it and sent it back.

Let us know if you're looking for any other feedback!
Hi

I'm having similar issues with my 05 honda accord nav system and I'm planning on sending to alpine. How did you remove nav system in trunk? Was it difficult to do? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear

Similar Navi problem - 2005 Acura TSX

I've been reading all the threads I can find because I'm having the same problem with my nav system. It's been happening over 3 months. At first it was slow to boot. Then it would occasionally reboot or say, "downloading software" and ask for the code in order to work. Eventually it got to either a totally black/blank display or a perpetual Acura globe.. which is where I am now.

I can't adjust fan speed controls without the display, and the perpetual rebooting causes XM or my iPod to briefly cut out every 15 seconds. CD and AM/FM radio are fine.

Been working with my mechanics to check connections, cables, try older disk, check power, clean the player, etc. Nothing wrong in these areas. Nothing else to try but do as others suggested and ask the guys to unbolt the unit for me to send to Alpine.

I called Alpine at 1-800-421-2284 ext. 8853. Rep said the navigation issue I described is not uncommon. The next steps are shipping the unit to the Abalone Ave address (posted earlier in the thread). Cost is $158 - apparently faster if you include a check to "Alpine Electronics", but if not they'll call you for a credit card number. Takes about 5-7 days to turn it around depending on problem/parts. Any shipper works but UPS is their preferred carrier. Saw a suggestion to insure the package for $4,000 (replacement cost).

I hope for the same success as others. Will post again when I get the unit back.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Here's my update. Price was $158. Unit came back promptly (less than 1 week) packed well. I took it to my mechanic who hooked it up. The unit had to update the GPS (default had been in Torrance which is a good sign). It's been working great for the last couple weeks. I am really pleased with this as a solution. The work order notes were cryptic but it looks like it needed a couple of electrical parts replaced so that the unit would fire up. It was the exact same unit as the one I shipped. I would recommend this to anyone who is having similar difficulty.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Cruisin'

I'm very happy to have found this (and others saying the same thing) thread on here about sending away the nav unit to be refurbished. Everyone is saying they had such a quick turnaround time though (1 week??)--mine arrived at Alpine on June 2. It's been almost 3 weeks, I've called them once a week and each time they tell me "You should have it sometime next week." I'm starting to lose my patience--part of the reason I sent it when I did is because I'm going away for 12 days this Wednesday (22nd), and it would be really great to have the unit back in the car by then. I've been using a portable Garmin, but as you all know, it's not the same. I suppose I'm just venting but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

having the same issue. the system will continually loop from the start screen to a black screen. has anyone had any issues with sending it to the ALPINE factory repair?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Cruisin'

Me again (that was me, 2 posts ago). They received it on June 2 and I had it back June 21. So....a little longer than 5-7 days! But it works 100% now. Definitely send it off--there are a number of threads on here where people have talked about quick turnaround and a perfectly functional unit. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

great thanks to hear. just sent it out. sounded a little suspicious that they didnt provide an RA# but i hope it all works out.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I just ran into this same issue today. At first it was loadings and then a warning popped up asking that I not shut off the car for up to 10 minutes while the navigation acquires a signal. Then it would work fine, except for a messed up voice control, followed by it just rebooting and going to the welcome screen. At this point it just blacks out and goes to the welcome screen.

Sounds like I will have to call Alpine on Monday to try to get this sorted out. Also does anyone know where the release is for the green connector? I didn't get a chance to crawl in there today and get a good look. I'll try again in the morning...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Engineer

I called Alpine today and they said that it would be a $358 flat fee to repair the unit. Looks like the price has gone up...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Engineer

So I noticed that if I reinstall the navi it works fine until the unit gets to be too hot. I observed that the fan does not run on the unit, even when it is hot as hell.

This morning when things were cool, I brought up the Diag Menu and under the navigation testing, I get a few flashing faults. The Navigation ECU is solid green, but the F-CAN and METER flash red from time to time on my drive into work.

What is the METER?

I want to try to get some better diagnosis done before assuming it is the Navigation Unit and spending $358 bucks to repair it.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Any new update?

Anybody got any new update on this issue? Got to be any easy solder fix right?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM
4th Gear

Cool Navigation system rebooting

Hi there I know this thread is old but just want to know if there is any othersolution I just got the ssame issue in my 05 tl.. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 PM
7th Gear

Same issue.... Woke up this morning and started my 2005 acura tl. screen just kept looping from the globe screen to the yellow word screen. Then it wont let me press okay. Sometimes it will as me for the pin but it will freeze within a couple of numbers. I did go to my trunk and take out the disk. I wiped it down and put it back up. I worked for about three minutes. I turned my car off and turned it back on and right back to the loop it went. Ill be trying to contact alpine and a dealership in the morning. Ill keep you updated but ill tell you one thing. I AM NOT PAYING FOR THIS, IT IS CLEARLY THEIR ELECTRICAL ISSUE
Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
7th Gear

I solved my problem!!!! how did I do it? I just used a dvd disk cleaner. I bought it at walmart for like 10 bucks. I put that baby in and let it spin for like 3 minutes and walah! thing hasnt skipped a beat in over 10 car start-ups and trips around town. I suggest if you are having the same problem as I described above then you should try this simple resolution.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

Tried to replace my Nav disc and found out wrong color after it would not reboot. Will contact company on Monday. Tried to remove and replace with old White disc, but now unit front door will not open. Want to check fuse, I assume #7 on 2005 RL, but just checking.

Any other suggestions on how to Nav unit open door so I can remove disc..

If there is a loght on the OPEN button it is not lite.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tsx536

Your personal settings on the Navi are definitely volatile. It's the same as the radio presets. Once you disconnect the battery the data disappears.
From reading this thread I think I fixed my issue. My nav system kept rebooting and I think the cause was entering in information to be saved, a destination, that led to my issue.

I took it to an acura place and they installed my new disk but it still wouldn't work. They couldn't even get 2 numbers of the code entered. It would freeze up and eventually reboot. Most the time it would reboot without even getting to the code screen. Above someone pointed out that it could be a hdd/memory issue. With that in mind I noticed my radio presets were gone but not my nav settings and history. Every now and then it would cut on for 1 minute of so before rebooting.

So the code finally was entered and it kept rebooting. Rarely it would being the map up for a minute before rebooting. The rare time the map was up I pressed the 3 buttons and held them (* Holding "Map/Guide", "Menu", and "Cancel" )

This took me to the configuration screen. I'm not at my car to remember but I think it was the 3rd selection down on the left (think it was "unit check")Here it let me CLEAR MEMORY. It worked the whole way home and through a restart of the car. I did not enter an address to see if it would navigate but the system did stop rebooting and looked as if it was working as intended.

Ill report back if it didn't fix my issue. Hopefully it did and hopefully others get a small window to enter the config area and clear their memory.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

I just bought an '03 MDX. My problem seemed to start when I tried to change some of the info that the previous owner had set.

I am curious if your solution is still working, xjippyx?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with my Navi? Keeps on trying to reboot