Engine Idle... Bad for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Ultra User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Idle... Bad for my car?

Hey got a good question for you guys. I drive about a half hour to my school everyday. Good spots are hard to find, so I usually arrive about a half-hour early. It's cold, so in my old car, I would just leave the engine running and the heat on. I've heard engine idling is bad for the car, so up till now I've taken good care of my TSX and turned it off. Now, what I want to know is what exactly is bad about idling the engine? Is it just the waste of gas or is there something more? I think you guys know what I wanna know. Thanks, love my car =)
Old 01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

for how long a period of time are we talking about...?

Personally When its cold out and we have a call at the FD, most of us do leave our cars running in the parking lot...myself included
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Ultra User

maybe as much as a halfhour? I have no problem sacrificing my own comfort for the well-being of my car. =) But I'd like to know that its for a reason
Old 01-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Ech dont think it should have a problem to the engine, only things are A) it does waste some gas, not really noticble, but over a long period of time, B) polution- but honestly..... and C) Theif - thats prob the biggest thing, Leaving ur car running is one hell of a way to say Steal Me... lol... ever think about buying an Auto-start?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's a good thread on the subject: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17799
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Here's a good thread on the subject: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17799
Dan i think hes talking more about so that the Heats on when he gets in the car...the above thread is right, theres not really too much of a reason to warm up the TSXes engine,Cant really hurt much
Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Ultra User

Im not talking about warming up the engine. I am talking about when I arrive at my destination early. It won't be stolen cuz I will be in it.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A few bad things come to mind when idling an engine, especially during cold start.

1. Moisture inside the crankcase - During cold start-up and before engine temp is up to operation temp, moisture build-up inside the crankcase will mix with the engine oil and diluting it over time. The moisture will desipate itself when the engine is hot. That's why driving short trips, long idle require more frequent oil changes.

2. Moisture in the exhaust system - Moisture is formed as part of the normal combustion process. Ever notice the tail pipe of the car in front of you spilling out water? Imagine this moisture build-up in the exhaust pipes and mufflers, causing the rust-out problem. The problem is going to happen anyway but more so with idling engines, just like moisture in oil.

3. Foul spark plugs - The stock plugs are designed for certain heat range and operation condition. If the engine is always idling, the plugs might to too cold to burn off carbon deposit causing foul plugs over time. Minor foul plugs can be self-cleaned by running the engine at higher rpm.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
A few bad things come to mind when idling an engine, especially during cold start.

1. Moisture inside the crankcase - During cold start-up and before engine temp is up to operation temp, moisture build-up inside the crankcase will mix with the engine oil and diluting it over time. The moisture will desipate itself when the engine is hot. That's why driving short trips, long idle require more frequent oil changes.

2. Moisture in the exhaust system - Moisture is formed as part of the normal combustion process. Ever notice the tail pipe of the car in front of you spilling out water? Imagine this moisture build-up in the exhaust pipes and mufflers, causing the rust-out problem. The problem is going to happen anyway but more so with idling engines, just like moisture in oil.

3. Foul spark plugs - The stock plugs are designed for certain heat range and operation condition. If the engine is always idling, the plugs might to too cold to burn off carbon deposit causing foul plugs over time. Minor foul plugs can be self-cleaned by running the engine at higher rpm.

Good anwser, rep for you

If I could
Old 01-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Continued idleing is also bad for the catalytic convertor.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

In this guy's case, he's not talking about a cold-start idle. So most of the bad-ness of it is eliminated. I think the worst part is that you're wasting a heck of a lot of gas doing that.... Why not just turn the car off and go inside and wait?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
New CG tsx owner

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
In this guy's case, he's not talking about a cold-start idle. So most of the bad-ness of it is eliminated. I think the worst part is that you're wasting a heck of a lot of gas doing that.... Why not just turn the car off and go inside and wait?

that's what i was wondering. why don't you just go inside. or is it closed till a certain time. and for those who are thinking he's trying to ask about a cold start, he's not. he's asking about idling his engine after he arrives as his destination.