A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Hello everyone,
Has anyone with 2009 TSX experienced intermittent pinging? The pinging has no duplicable pattern. It can happen from a stop to take off, it can happen during shifting from 2nd to 3rd. In addition, it has no bearing on whether or not I use premium fuel or regular. There is no MIL on, and all other functions seem to operate properly.
My guess is that, the ECM is intermittently adjusting/caliberating the timing.
Anyone who has or had same or similar symptoms?
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Moving to the proper section....
Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes! I have the exact same problem. I first noticed it around 1300 miles or so I think. I took it to the dealer around 2000 miles. They heard the noise but did a thorough check of the engine and computer system and found everything operating within spec. The service manager even rode with me to hear it and talk to me about it. I have since then tried three different brands of fuel (exxon, shell, and bp all 93 octane) but I still get the same pinging noise. The service manager called it spark knock and gave me his card and asked me to call or email him with the results of the trials with the different fuels. I just so happened to email him yesterday but have not yet gotten a response from him. I have also talked with Acura Client Services about the issue. I made a thread about it somewhere... anyway if you find out anything from your dealer please let me know and I'll be sure to keep you up to date with anythign I find out as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I also have noticed that at certain times during acceleration my TSX's engine will knock. It is rather annoying. I though the TSX had a "anti-knock" sensor? I was using Shell 91 octane but switched to Chevron 91 Octane to see if it helps.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

I did try different brands of fuel, tried octane booster, etc. I even tried reverse way by putting in 87 octane, thinking that perhaps the higher octane may have increased the combustion chamber temperature, which can at times cause pinging. To CybrRdr: all vehicles have one form or another of knock sensor. Did going from Shell to Chevron help? You didn't state the result. To: 26Shaun: Vise Versa. I will post the result from my dealer; the posting however will not occur until sometime next week.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by oneforall
Did going from Shell to Chevron help? You didn't state the result.
I did the switch only a few days ago and my tank is still full so I don't have complete results. However, currently I noticed that there is still a slight knocking on random occasions but it not as obvious as before.

If it is the fuel that would be very strange since both Shell and Chevron are retailers that meet Top Tier gasoline standards. http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup.

Went to Whistler last week to do some riding. On the drive home, under WOT going up hills, I noticed the engine was pinging. Doesn't really bother me all that much but I will take it to the dealership so they can check it out. Maybe I should have kept my 05 Accord Hybrid.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM
CBP TLX

I've been using Chevron or Shell 91 octane (highest octane in California) and this past weekend took a road trip to LV. The engine knocked everytime during heavy accleration like going up hill... so freaking annoying! Taking the car to the dealer this week. I have the 5sp AT.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
CBP TLX

Update:

Took it to the dealer to have it looked at. 1st thing they did was ask what fuel I was using and how much left in the tank. Told them I only use 91 octane and half a tank left. They topped it off with 91 octane and took it for a test drive. Sure enough the dealer heard the pinging during normal driving conditions. Was told the will need to keep the car a few days to work with Acura and diagnose/fix it. They then gave me a loaner car to use.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Saw this in the TL forum - 2007 Type-S will ping if started by turning the key directly to start rather than pausing in the on position for a few seconds. Quite a few people posted they tried both ways and it was pretty consistent that it pinged when started without pausing at the on position. Has anyone tried this test on the 09 TSX?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Starting technique.

I haven't tried this yet but I will today. I've heard something about this waiting before you start your car. I'm not sure if it was for my Mother in Laws RDX or some other car. Seems to me it was an Acura though. My wifes car which is also an 09 TSX pings as well. I will let you all know what I find.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
CBP TLX

Picked up my car from the dealer today and this was they're conclusion:

"As for now it is a normal characteristic of the car as per Acura factory tech support, ref# 2683470"

The dealer demo car and the loaner car they gave me to use also pings during acceleration @ around 4000 RPM. Their conculsion is that it is a common thing with "all" '09 Acura TSX's. However, if there is a "solution" I will be advised.

This sucks, I guess I have to learn to live with it and turn my radio up.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 09-09-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Picked up my car from the dealer today and this was they're conclusion:

"As for now it is a normal characteristic of the car as per Acura factory tech support, ref# 2683470"

The dealer demo car and the loaner car they gave me to use also pings during acceleration @ around 4000 RPM. Their conculsion is that it is a common thing with "all" '09 Acura TSX's. However, if there is a "solution" I will be advised.

This sucks, I guess I have to learn to live with it and turn my radio up.
at this point if you went to corporate, is there anything they can do?

is there any way you can get a second opinion that acura will honor?

pinging @ 4k is interesting because i never reach that RPM on my AT without SS (and i only use that rarely)

my max rpm on AT w/ D is usually 3,700-3,800 rpm
Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lou01
I haven't tried this yet but I will today. I've heard something about this waiting before you start your car. I'm not sure if it was for my Mother in Laws RDX or some other car. Seems to me it was an Acura though. My wifes car which is also an 09 TSX pings as well. I will let you all know what I find.
Any update on this? I've noticed pinging also, but thought maybe it was the shell gas station I was using (always the same station since i got the car).
Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 AM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

This is NOT a fuel/pinging problem.

It is an issue with the auto gearbox. We have the same problem over here in Australia.
Rattle sound when accellerating from slow....
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
at this point if you went to corporate, is there anything they can do?

is there any way you can get a second opinion that acura will honor?

pinging @ 4k is interesting because i never reach that RPM on my AT without SS (and i only use that rarely)

my max rpm on AT w/ D is usually 3,700-3,800 rpm
Well according to the Acura Tech, he was able to replicate the engine pinging in those cars by accelerating hard to ~ 4000 rpm.

For me personally, it'll happen anytime during any type of accelerating ~ 2000+ rpm.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by [R]isque'
This is NOT a fuel/pinging problem.

It is an issue with the auto gearbox. We have the same problem over here in Australia.
Rattle sound when accellerating from slow....
I agree I don't think it's a fuel issue. I have been using premium fuel from all the top tier fuel retailers (Chevron, Shell, Mobil, etc.)

It's a flaw or according to Acura/Honda a "characteristic" with the engine/drivetrain.

I wonder if the 1st gen TSX or for that matter any other Honda product suffer from engine pinging? My '99 Accord V6 doesn't.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Racer

damn i get the same thing...was bout to go in for my oil change and ask them about it...you can only hear it when the radio is off at least. I was telling people it sounds like a baby rattle shaker thingy
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Pro

can someone make a vid?

i'd like to know exactly what this sounds like
Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Cruisin'

09 TSX Pinging

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue. I got my TSX in June. My first two fill ups were on 87 octane (I thought I can get away with it). I then started to hear the rattle sound. My last three fillups were on premium.

I did go to two different dealers and both said everything looked ok with it and the sound was a "charactersitic" of the car. I drove a loaner out of curiousity and I did hear the sound. Now I only use Sunoco 94 octane in hopes the sound will go away, but yes the sound is annoying.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
can someone make a vid?

i'd like to know exactly what this sounds like
The best way I could describe it would be to place a couple of small ball bearings in a coffee can and lightly shake the can.

If you had your engine to operating temp and did a high load (numerically high gear) low speed acceleration run, you'd hear it if it was doing it....like...start from a stop in 2nd gear and go wide open throttle to redline.

(It'd be very very hard to hear on a video.)
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
7th Gear

I've had my TSX for about 3.5 weeks now. Started hearing the random pinging from about day 3. I've tried 91 octane gas from Exxon, Chevron, Phillips/66 and still got the pinging. I recently dumped in octane booster and I still hear some pinging. Maybe it's not a fuel thing .... What ever it is, I'll be taking the car into Tustin Acura in the next few weeks and see what they say.

And like CybrRdr, my '00 Accord v6 does not do that. It's very annoying.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Do you have an auto gearbox by any chance OCAC?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
7th Gear

[R]isque', Yes, it's an auto gearbox.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Ping

OCAC,

They will probably tell you it's a "characteristic" of the car. Please post back and let us know what your dealership says.

And just making sure I'm on the same page as everyone else, I usually hear the sound anywhere from 10-30mph...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
damn, it sounds like this problem is pretty common already huh?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Pro

my auto does not ping as far as i can tell, so im kinda doubting acura is telling the truth
Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

OCAC: Please post back w/what your dealer tells you.

I've had my 09 tsx (auto) for about 3mos now. Pinging from day one. I used shell's highest octane for the first 8 weeks. I've been using chevron's highest octane since then.

It's not the gas. I'm also noticing the ping 10-30mph. But, could be it's easy to hear pings going that speed range(?).

I've also mentioned it to my acura dealer in santa monica. The service rep said he hadn't heard anything from anyone else. That was about 6 weeks ago...maybe he's heard something since.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM

Ping & Resonance (Long)

I have noticed an exhaust sound at low speed and high load on my 6MT (example: 20mph 3rd or even 4th gear, moderate throttle 50-60%?)

It sounds like the difference between a cast iron manifold and headers, you hear the exhaust resonate during those conditions. I'm not saying those with the issue don't know what pinging is, but it could be there's a discernable difference between the K24's with an exhaust manifold and these with a...exhaust...bung on the head?

Has anyone who's experiencing this pulled a plug immediately after experiencing this noise? It seems like if it's on the magnitude that I'm reading that you should see it in the plug by way of speckled pitting on the strap & wear on the electrode and it should read at least somewhat white and chalky.

There are several conditions that would cause what you're describing but too much timing, not enough fuel, or the incorrect octane fuel should be the most common. We all live at different altitudes and have different fuel, so a production variance much greater than +/- 2 degrees of initial timing spread across the country (and now I see the world) would be surprising but it happens. I mean, all of these cars are stock configuration because of a lack of available mods. We're not talking about s/c apps where the injectors are at marginal limits with stock boost and someone installs a smaller pulley or increases the boost on a turbo app, or installs a *huge* exhaust with any of the above.

I run 93 because that is premium here in Fla. (Thankfully we also have 100 unleaded out of the pumps at Sunoco, too.) I see most posters are running 91 except for stones3131 & maybe some others? I dunno what's available in Oz, but I also see all of those who used octane booster with no difference too. That leads me to think it's not pinging either.

Admittedly, I don't know that much about these K's, but I can only *assume* there's a way to verify the timing (like with a Snap-On Modus or the like?) and adjust it if necessary? If the timing is verified, the plugs read good, there's no report from the knock sensor, the fuel pump is performing at spec and the injectors are at an acceptable duty cycle...I can't help but think it's something else.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM
6th Gear

I've had my 2009 TSX since late May and I noticed the knocking and pinging about a month later. I may have noticed it sooner but I was too busy enjoying the ELS Sound System. It occurs every time when I'm accelerating between 2000-2500 rpm. I initially took it back to the dealership I acquired the vehicle from and they told me to continue and use premium fuel only, regardless of the brand. I told them that under the advice of the Acura Sales Manager, I alternated between 93 and 89 octane fuel but I have since only used 93 for my last two fill ups since I noticed the knocking and pinging. They said that if I continue to fill up with 93, it should go away. Three weeks later, I took it back to my original Acura Dealership since the issue continued even after 3 more fill ups with premium only. I filled up with Premium Texaco, Chevron, and Hess with no luck. At first they said that everything checked out okay and that there was no issue. After a test drive with the Service Manager, he agreed with me and said he would have to check with the Acura Representative. After a few days, he called me back to tell me that the Acura Representative was experiencing the same issue with his 2009 TSX and that there is no fix. They think it maybe the ethanol in our fuel in Florida. I called Acura Client Services and they wanted to schedule a test drive with the Acura District Manager but he was on vacation. After over a week of waiting, Acura Client Service called me to let me know that the District Manager got promoted and that I would have to wait for the incoming District Manager. In addition, the original Service Manager told Acura Client Service that if my A/C hit “level2”, the knocking and pinging could hardly be hard. Geez, why don’t I just turn up my radio and that should solve the problem. Anyways, she recommended I get a second opinion. I took my TSX to another Acura Dealership and after over a week with a loaner, they told me that they could not replicate the knocking and pinging. So I test drove my car with the Service Representative and he finally heard it. He agreed that there was an issue but he said there is no fix at this point in time. He said that the Acura Engineers are aware of this issue and are "working on it". I called Acura Client Services again and she said that I will have to wait for a fix as there is none right now. I am under the impression that knocking and pinging will do harm to the engine in the long run. Do I wait for Acura to fix this or can I take a different direction in getting out of my lease? I wanted to purchase this vehicle after my lease but now I’m worried it will have more wear than necessary due to this issue. I’d love to hear some feedback or advice.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

Heavy Duty.

I've used 87 octane the first two times I filled up and every time since then I've used 94 octane from Sunoco.

Speaking of, is there a differnence in brands of gas? Shell, Sunoco, Exxon, etc?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

Hey GSRTX,

I've had mine (purchase) since June and have actually thought about selling it now while it still has good value (not even 3,000 miles yet) and getting something else. This sound is a joke.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by stones3131
Heavy Duty.

I've used 87 octane the first two times I filled up and every time since then I've used 94 octane from Sunoco.

Speaking of, is there a differnence in brands of gas? Shell, Sunoco, Exxon, etc?
There's been comments here about "top tier" fuel suppliers as rated by (?). I prefer Exxon/Mobil or Chevron as they appeared to have the most stable, consistent composition from one tank to the other, but they may have changed in the past few years or for some reason didn't rate the top tier thing.

As far as getting out of your lease, the old saying; "If you don't document it, it didn't happen" will serve you well if you decide to pursue a Lemon Law rollback or buyback. Look in your LL guide you got with the car, basically if a car has been brought to a dealer 3 times for the same issue and they can't rectify it, you have the ability to petition requesting the invocation of the LL. The fact that a service advisor rode with you, acknowledged it and in essence stated "There's no fix." should constitute at minumum one try, even though you've been to different dealers. Pick one, drop it off and make sure you get a printout of the customer concerns as well as the tech's comment fields.

I had a problem with the 3rd gear syncro in my 07 Si (well known issue with those cars and a TSB noting to that effect) and all they would offer is a "Tech could not duplicate." That doesn't count as an attempt, know what I mean?

Personally, if it's as widespread as I'm reading, Honda is aware of it and there will be a fix sooner than later (reflashed PCM, revised KS, different injectors, etc.)
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

Hi everyone!
I am so disturbed! The same thing is happening to me. i have been filling up with premium gas, yet the dealership states that cheap gas is to blame. I fear that I may not be able to sell this car now. I wouldn't buy a car that made a sound, would you????
If anyone hears anything, please keep us posted. This is nonsense!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
6th Gear

Still Knocking & Pinging

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to a friend who used to be a Honda mechanice a few years ago and he suggested adding Octane Booster to my full tank of gas (91 octane). He said if it continued, then I know it's not a fuel quality issue and there is something not right with the engine. Well, I added the Octane Booster (STP) yesterday and it continues to knock & ping today. I am very disappointed as I truely like this car. It gets great gas mileage, has decent performance and has all the options I could ask for. My greatest concern is the damage this knocking and pinging maybe causing until they find a fix. Should I really be this concerned or is knocking and pinging not really a big deal except for the annoying noise?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 AM
CBP TLX

Survey

How many people that have this problem have the 5sp auto tranny and does anyone that experiences this have the 6sp manual?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 AM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by GSRTSX
Should I really be this concerned or is knocking and pinging not really a big deal except for the annoying noise?
You would think that if one paid $30,000+ for a car, hell even if you paid $15,000 for a car that it would not make noises during acceleration. What ever it is, engine knocking or something with the tranny, it's a problem!

I know this is a 1st model year car but come on Acura, this is a freaking joke.

My 4 month old '09 TSX has already been serviced for bad wheel alignment, trunk rubbing, cup holder, ext. molding falling off, and int. door not opening. I still have the ping sound and my hood mis-aligned to resolve!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Someone just mentioned something about their hood on the '09 TSX. I did notice when driving and I hit a bump or something I see the end of the hood that is closest to the winshield kinda sorta rise up a bit.

Next time you're driving, glance over at the bottom right corner of the hood and see if it moves or anything (the bottom right corner being the part closest to the passenger part of the windshield). I'm curious to see what people say.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
(after reading the entire thread) "... Characteristic of the engine, there is not fix...." =>

I wonder if Temple of Vtec encountered this on the dyno.... That would rule out the hood.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by GSRTSX
Should I really be this concerned or is knocking and pinging not really a big deal except for the annoying noise?
Here's a half decent explanation from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

For other relevant content...I run 93, VTEC it every day, it's hot as hell here and I've noticed no pinging at all on my 6MT.

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*