AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   Hmmmm. Well, how cold does it GET in Japan? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/hmmmm-well-how-cold-does-get-japan-648436/)

bob shiftright 01-10-2004 10:29 AM

Hmmmm. Well, how cold does it GET in Japan?

It's been relatively cold here in the northeast the last couple of days, but nothing spectacular, not like the midwest where you can go weeks and the temperature never goes above zero.

I'm wondering because in these modestly cold temperatures the TSX seems a little unhappy about turning over to start, the LCDs seem awfully slow and arthritic, and my daughter was complaining about the cold pleather covering the unheated rear seat. I'm also really beginning to miss my missing heated mirrors. I know Honda sells the car in Sweden and might even sell a few in Canada :) but the car sure does seem a little unhappy about operating in the cold.

CDR 01-10-2004 12:01 PM

How cold does Japan get? I've been there around 0 deg. F ...

The largest city of the northern island of Hokkaido is Sapporo, with an average low in January of 15 deg. F and plenty of snow. It gets a lot colder than that but isn't generally a "stay below zero" kind of place. The mountain areas on Hokkaido are, but don't have many people.

Most of the population in Japan lives on the central island of Honshu; average January low in Tokyo is 34 F. The TSX is built in Saitama just north of Tokyo.

fdl 01-10-2004 12:34 PM

The TSX always seems to struggle to turn over. I think its the battery...which may be undersized or just cheap.

Crazytree 01-10-2004 12:48 PM

Northern Japan is right next to Siberia.:bandito:

mininsx 01-10-2004 02:50 PM

Re: Hmmmm. Well, how cold does it GET in Japan?

Originally posted by bob shiftright
I'm also really beginning to miss my missing heated mirrors.
What? The TSX doesnt have heated mirrors? WTF? the RSX's do...

Lung Fu Mo Shi 01-10-2004 02:55 PM

Re: Re: Hmmmm. Well, how cold does it GET in Japan?

Originally posted by mininsx
What? The TSX doesnt have heated mirrors? WTF? the RSX's do...
Candian version = yes, US version = no.

mininsx 01-10-2004 02:57 PM

I didnt know that, well they did the RSX's the same way at first, my 2002 doesnt have them, but the 2004's do....

Thats crazy, maybe I'll talk my g.f. into waiting to see if they have them in 2005....

SSN_FT1(SS/DV) 01-10-2004 03:24 PM

It's been 1 degree F today in CT, but my car theremometer only shows 14 degrees, it there a limit? Will it not go below 14?

jcg878 01-10-2004 04:12 PM

bob I have had the same observations, particularly this AM when it was 10 when I hopped in the car. Seat warmers have been coming in handy - I agree about the annoying lack of side mirrors.

SSN my thermo said 10 this AM

esr5096 01-10-2004 04:33 PM

My themo has been down to 5, I Was wondering if it'll go negative or not. Does everybody's car sounds weak when cold starting when it's in the single digits? Mine sounded real weak the past couple mornings.

KC 2004 TSX 01-10-2004 04:56 PM

Originally posted by fdl
I think its the battery...which may be undersized
I think this is the issue. I've owned many cars all different sizes and this is certainly the smallest battery I've have seen.

omgsoup 01-10-2004 08:12 PM

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...om=search_city

that's for tokyo, adjust accordingly

SSN_FT1(SS/DV) 01-10-2004 08:56 PM

Got down to 10 in my TSX an hour ago....guess it's not as cold as the Weather Channel says....

Nick250 01-11-2004 09:08 AM

My TSX registered 8 yesterday, which was about the same as what I heard on the radio at the time. The thing to remember is that the car needs to be moving to get an accurate reading. When I got in my car it had been sitting in the sun and the temp read 12 or so, as I drove a few miles it slowly went down to 8.

jonredraider 01-11-2004 11:54 AM

One thing I noticed, that may or may not be just in my TSX, is the past few days since its been below 15 degrees, when my car is cruising in 5th (I have A/T), the exhaust seems more bass-y. I can feel the vibration in my accelorator too. Anyone else notice this side effect?

JTso 01-11-2004 12:02 PM

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
I think this is the issue. I've owned many cars all different sizes and this is certainly the smallest battery I've have seen.
Actually, the TSX battery is bigger than my 98 Civic battery and the Civic never has any problem turning over. I think the higher compression TSX engine makes it a little more difficult to start, especially in cold weather when the max cold cranking power of the battery is reduced.

gomez_regina 01-11-2004 07:44 PM

I guess I don't notice the "problems" with cold-weather running the way other do...here where I am (Saskatchewan...The Great White North), it's normal for us to have wintertime temps of -35 Celcius (last week, woke up to Windchills of -47).

The TSX has been performing just fine for me (although my gas mileage hasn't been that great). It is slow to start, but every other car I've ever owned has been the same way in cold weather.