AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   Acuras made in USA vs. Japan (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/acuras-made-usa-vs-japan-648242/)

Mokos23 12-27-2003 09:49 PM

Acuras made in USA vs. Japan

My friends and carmax associates have told me that Acuras made in Japan vs. the ones assembled in the USA have better quality and reliability, is that true? One of my friends had a CL-S made in USA and had bad quality, but now traded it in for an Rsx-S which he notes is made in Japan and has had no problems with it so far.

larchmont 12-27-2003 11:13 PM

Most of us assume there's a difference (in favor of the Japan-built cars, of course).

I find the TSX (Japan-built) much more impressive in build/quality than my "old" '03 TL-S (US-built).

SPUDMTN 12-28-2003 12:12 AM

Originally posted by larchmont
Most of us assume there's a difference (in favor of the Japan-built cars, of course).

I find the TSX (Japan-built) much more impressive in build/quality than my "old" '03 TL-S (US-built).

At the same time, however, the old TL isn't in the same "generation" as the RSX, TSX, and new TL. What I'm saying is that the old TL (and CL) was from the Acura "dark ages". I'd say that the new Acuras produced in North America are going to be equal to their Japanese counterparts. Sit in a TSX and then switch into the brand-new TL. I'd say that they're at LEAST equal in build quality. I have to remind myself that the car isn't built in Japan...

I must admit, however, that I like the sound of the car actually being built in Japan. It gives a piece of mind (who knows if it's false or not).

PS-
Larch--know we've discussed the Acura dark ages before...just thought it appropriate again :)

saccorator 12-28-2003 12:24 AM

I like the sound of a Japanese built car as well. I have heard that there are more quality standards from Japanese built cars, but who knows. I had a 350Z that was 100% japanese built and I can say that car was a complete piece of Sh!t. The 350Z has numerous rattles, had numerous quality issues with the paint, transmission fraying cloth on interior parts and bad suspension. I just hope Honda/Acura pay more attention to design and quality than Nissan does.

phile 12-28-2003 12:41 AM

I think it's an unfair comparison. The models built in Japan and exported to the US are often the low volume models (e.g., TSX, RL, RSX, NSX). The Acuras built in NA are the big sellers, of course except for the CL, and everytime you have greater production numbers, there will be more problems. But anyways, has anyone sat in the new Accords? That's US built, and the build assembly is impressive.

larchmont 12-28-2003 01:37 AM

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
At the same time, however, the old TL isn't in the same "generation" as the RSX, TSX, and new TL. What I'm saying is that the old TL (and CL) was from the Acura "dark ages".
....But, my old '88 Legend, which of course was also from those "dark ages," was fine.

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
I'd say that the new Acuras produced in North America are going to be equal to their Japanese counterparts.....
I guess we'll see. I hope they will be.

2004_Acura_TSX 12-28-2003 02:24 AM

Originally posted by larchmont

I have the opposite view....I find my TSX is poorly built compared to the US-built 2001 Honda Accord EX sedan that I traded in for my TSX, but then again I bought the TSX back in the early days of its release...maybe the build quality of the TSX got better since May?:dunno:

larchmont 12-28-2003 02:41 AM

Originally posted by 2004_Acura_TSX
.....but then again I bought the TSX back in the early days....maybe the build quality....got better since May?
Whatever it may be, that ain't it (as you can see from my sig).

jartzt 12-28-2003 08:32 AM

I've had an opportunity to work with several Japanese auto makers including Honda and Toyota who have US manufacturting operations. These companies do not allow for differences in the quality metrics of their operations in one county over another. Rather, their philospophy is that every activity in which the company executes will be perfect (regardless of what that activity is, how often that activity is performed, where that activity is performed, or who performs that activity). These companies place metrics around EVERYTHING they do and then constantly analyze how they are performing and seek improvement. I am honored to have had the opportunity to work with these companies and wish that their approach to the market and serving their customers was the norm rather than the exception.

1killercls 12-28-2003 08:40 AM

From my 99 Integra GSR to my 2002 CL Types....NO DIFFERENCE in Quality.

hondaloyalist 12-28-2003 08:51 AM

Regardless, If i had to choose where i bought my car from, I would definitely choose japan built over U.S built.I have better piece of mind that way.

G2Ray 12-28-2003 02:15 PM

It's true the saying....."they sure don't make them like they used to". Even if a Honda/Acura is made in Japan, the overall quality is not where it used to be. They are still great and I would prefer them over a US assembled Honda/Acura, but IMHO Honda's best years were 92-95.

Brad 12-28-2003 04:21 PM

I've owned three Accords, one Japan-built and two Ohio-built.

I consider myself to be rather anal about quality, but I would be hard-pressed to say that any of those 3 cars were of better or lower build quality than the others. If anything, it was the Japan-built Accord that developed warping plastic in the trunk area.

My two former US-built Accords were solid and reliable. Oh, I heard that the 88 Accord with 210,000 original miles needs its _first_ clutch work. tsk, tsk. The one bad thing about the '90 Accord was that it needed a distributor (or some part) a few years ago that Honda covered even though the car was long-passed warranty. It turned out that the distributors were not up to Honda specifications.

I would not have hesitated if the TSX had been built in the US or Canada.

JeffTSX 12-28-2003 11:27 PM

Re: Acuras made in USA vs. Japan

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
My friends and carmax associates have told me that Acuras made in Japan vs. the ones assembled in the USA have better quality and reliability, is that true? One of my friends had a CL-S made in USA and had bad quality, but now traded it in for an Rsx-S which he notes is made in Japan and has had no problems with it so far.

Hmm...actually. The rsx-s has a very famous tranny problem. :(

type-s 12-29-2003 04:09 AM

My brother-in-law who used to work at the Honda dealer here swears by Japan Built Cars.

He actually has a UK built Accord (LOL) and always said my 5th Gen Prelude (Japan) was a lot better....now I have a Euro Accord (Ironically built in Japan) and the difference in style and drivability is imenense.

The UK built car feels very heavy whilst the Japan built car is light and quick and nimble.

Ernie

larchmont 12-29-2003 10:56 AM

How about that -- even the insiders disagree.

In which case, until there's a consensus among them, it looks like it means our outside judgment is as good as their inside judgment. And our judgment, for the most part, is that the Japanese-built cars have tended to be better.
Or maybe more accurately, the non-Japanese-built cars have tended to be worse but perhaps with some exceptions.

Brad 12-29-2003 12:17 PM

Regardless of the origin of manufacture, the reliability ratings that I've seen still look relatively good.

Perceptions vs. reality come into much more serious discord with competing brands. Just look at the recent marketing perceptions of Mercedes and BMW and contrast that with their respective worse-than-average and mediocre reliability. That's where perceptions dictate that worse-off is better?

1killercls 12-29-2003 01:57 PM

my AMERICAN MADE ACURA does not rattle.

YBA 12-29-2003 10:21 PM

Originally posted by 1killercls
my AMERICAN MADE ACURA does not rattle.
nice try...

Mokos23 12-29-2003 11:17 PM

can someone help me out on this?

Acuras (Japan-made)

Tsx, Rsx, Nsx, and RL

Hondas (Japan-made)

s2000, Crv??, prelude, some accords? , is the civic-si made in japan?

type-s 12-30-2003 02:32 AM

5th Gen Prelude and Euro Accord both made in Japan.

Saintor_RENAMED 12-30-2003 10:23 AM

I think that the Si (our Si-R) comes from England.

leo leo 03-16-2004 08:40 PM

Originally posted by phile
I think it's an unfair comparison. The models built in Japan and exported to the US are often the low volume models (e.g., TSX, RL, RSX, NSX).
LOL "low volume" ? the RSX is probably by far is the most massed produced Acura (much more so than US built CL, TL, EL, etc.)

But the important thing is that it has just as much if not more TSBs and problems as US built Hondas/Acuras ie. the Accord.

CGTSX2004 03-17-2004 12:06 PM

Originally posted by saccorator
I had a 350Z that was 100% japanese built and I can say that car was a complete piece of Sh!t. The 350Z has numerous rattles, had numerous quality issues with the paint, transmission fraying cloth on interior parts and bad suspension.
This is because the FRENCH!! run Nissan these days. Remember the quality issues the that the old Peugot and Citroen cars sold in the US had? Of course, I've sure they've cleaned that up by now, but in order to pull Nissan out of the financial gutter, they had to cut spending somewhere and I'm betting QA was one and interior material/design was another.

helloha 03-17-2004 04:44 PM

Yeah.. My 97 Ohio-built CL does not have any windshiled/center console rattle in 7 years vs 2 months old Japan-built TSX....

Stokeless_TSX 03-17-2004 07:12 PM

my TSX has great quality...i dont have any rattles or problems u guys have...im very happy...only thing that rattles is the coilovers and i have never had a set that didnt squeak so im used to it...the 04 TL's arent made in japan and i have a friend that workds for acura and said he would never buy one. the fit and finish on them supposedly suck. one side of the trunk a much larger gap than the other as an example. i have never looked up close but i know my TSX fits perfect

mcaron 03-17-2004 08:23 PM

I own an Accord Wagon which was built in North America and I can assure you the car did not have any quality problem (I still drive the car 1991 with 260000 Km). On the other hand I also own a 4Runner which was built in Japan and had numerous problems (2 blown transmission, 2 blown set of head gaskest and on and on). So junky cars are not limited to North American assembly plant

Javier Sanchez 01-30-2019 04:11 PM

True?

Originally Posted by Mokos23 (Post 9318823)

Currently sitting at a red light in my 2002 Acura RSX Type-S with 204k miles. Hope she never quits.

losiglow 01-30-2019 04:49 PM

Michael Jackson was still alive the last time this thread was posted to. And Myspace was still relevant.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...br-jpg.544892/

Really though, I think it has more to do with design than where the car is built. My 2007 TSX was built in Japan and plenty reliable as my '06 TL and '12 TL, both of which were built in Ohio. And all of them had just as many rattles. :ugh:

dopeboy1 01-30-2019 05:06 PM

You shouldn't be resurrecting 15 year old threads while at a red light its not safe!

Seriously though my girlfriend is made in Japan and she is just stunning, an amazing job they did. So im firmly on the side of Japan build quality.

kurtatx 01-30-2019 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16374486)
You shouldn't be resurrecting 15 year old threads while at a red light its not safe!

Seriously though my girlfriend is made in Japan and she is just stunning, an amazing job they did. So im firmly on the side of Japan build quality.

Count me in as being fairly indifferent for Japan vs US. Also, I would give post Jesus more crap, but the "related topics" section when you scroll down doesn't really consider thread age.