Formula One: 2024 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 09:28 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,149 Likes on 4,816 Posts
Yeah there were 4 or 5 passes that made me say "neat!". But I've never been in awe of races decided on the pitwall. I get that tire management is an important part of F1, but I want to see cars racing, not race engineers.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,890 Likes on 3,498 Posts
^^^ Then you'd best stop watching F1, NASCAR, Indycar and IMSA.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
With the tyre strategy, it wasn't clear if Leclerc could have make the podium. That was the thing that stood out this race.
The following users liked this post:
Chief F1 Fan (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Love the track. I thought this race was boring as hell though.

Yeah there were 4 or 5 passes that made me say "neat!". But I've never been in awe of races decided on the pitwall. I get that tire management is an important part of F1, but I want to see cars racing, not race engineers.
QFT, today's F1's tires are ridiculous with their engineered degradation.

If not for his appendicitis surgery, Sainz would probably be #3 in WDC. I imagine many teams are vying for him in 2025.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-08-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:10 AM

Received 5,302 Likes on 3,636 Posts
Too bad Pirelli can't just bring really soft compounds to all races, even if it's a 15 stop race.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
If not for his appendicitis surgery, Sainz would probably be #3 in WDC. I imagine many teams are vying for him in 2025.

Ignoring the race he skipped because of his surgery, he has out performed Leclerc in every race. Ferrari and Vasseur made a huge mistake signing Hamilton for 2025.
civicdrivr (04-08-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 04:16 PM
AZ Community Team

F1 star Kimi Raikkonen mocks his super-woke rival Lewis Hamilton by posting ‘evolution of a Formula 1 driver’ meme comparing him with fast-living legend James Hunt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...gram-post.html
Old 04-10-2024, 09:15 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

The link was from 2 years ago, but still funny.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Inside The Opening Lap Chaos In Japan! | Jolyon Palmer’s F1 TV Analysis | Workday

Ricciardo

Old 04-11-2024, 09:28 AM

Andretti still pushing to be on the grid:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...lity/10597184/

The new Andretti Global facility at Silverstone was opened by Michael and Mario Andretti on Thursday as the team took another step towards a place on the Formula 1 grid.

The team was granted an entry by the FIA last October, but failed to pass the second stage of the process when F1 did not approve its bid in a statement issued on January 31. The project thus remains in limbo while discussions continue behind the scenes.

The team continues to target an entry in 2026, should an agreement with F1 be reached.

Despite the lack of confirmation of an entry it is pushing ahead with its plans, and the new facility is the highest-profile sign thus far that its ambition to join the grid is undimmed.

Hitherto the design team has been working in a temporary office on the Silverstone Park estate opposite the British GP venue.

The team has now commenced its move to the new 40,000-square-foot facility close by, with the aero department already in situ and the mechanical department set to follow. The team will also eventually take over an adjacent 70,000-square-foot building.

The design department and the race team will be based in Silverstone, while manufacturing and the building of the cars will eventually be undertaken in the USA at the new facility in Fishers, close to Indianapolis. Some R&D and design is also being undertaken at General Motors in Charlotte.

If an entry is ultimately granted for 2026, the plan remains to use Renault power for the first two seasons under the new regulations, before a switch to a Cadillac powerplant in 2028.

"F1 is obviously the pinnacle of auto racing in the world,” Michael Andretti told a gathering of team staff at Wednesday’s ceremony.

“We're in all different types of racing series, but to be in F1 is at the top. And so that's why I think for our brand, it'd be huge.

“And it'll just complete our goal, and that is to be in every single major sporting racing event in the world. And then obviously, getting to F1 is the top of that.

“So it's a big goal, it's been a goal of ours for a few years now. And we are right there, we're going to be there. And we feel very strongly that we're going to be there.

“And we're building a fantastic team as well, this is something that's going to be unique to F1, to build a real F1 team from scratch with great brains. And this is something that I think could catch a lot of people off-guard, when we do finally get on the grid."

Andretti Global partner Dan Towriss stressed that the commissioning of the new UK base was a key moment in the team’s history.

"I'd say an important step is today, it's opening our facility in Silverstone,” he said. “It's also continuing to acquire the talent necessary, to have the people, the financial resources, the technical resources able to have a competitive team. And so we're assembling the resources.

“Michael and I and Mario have a few things to do behind the scenes, but we're going to take care of business there. And so while that's happening, we're continuing to build the team.”

Regarding the Cadillac partnership Towriss said: “The collaboration with General Motors is fantastic, hearing how everybody's working together, across time zones. Technology allows things to happen in real time, it's so exciting. And so just to continue to capitalise on that opportunity.

“We just want to keep building. This is an important step today, and we'll continue to build. We've got a facility in Fishers that's being built as well, just to make sure that we have a world-class facility for world-class people to build a world-class team.”

Michael Andretti stressed that being able to start afresh was a key advantage for the new project.

"I think one thing is we are building from scratch,” he said. “So we're building a team with new ideas. I think some of the old teams that you join, they're already set in their ways.

“And we can go and design this exactly the way we want it, and do it in a new modern way. And I think there could be a huge advantage.

“And then having as a partner GM, who is as excited as we all are about getting out there and showing their technology, when we're going to bring all that together, we'll bring in something that's really unique.

“Along with another thing that's ever been done, and I think it's going to be a big story, it's going to be an all-American team in the end, with the car being built in the US, with an American engine, American owners and eventually American drivers. So it's always cool to be doing something that's never been done before.”

civicdrivr (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 AM

Saw a comment on the Andretti F1 deal from someone in F1 that essentially said that F1 adds more value to Andretti than Andretti does to F1, and that an 11th team would have to come out of the gate with some value to the sport [racing for points/podiums]. Seems like an unrealistic expectation & I don't recall Haas getting that treatment when they were a green team on the grid.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:31 AM

Rumormill:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...mand/10597127/

Alpine’s disappointing start to the Formula 1 season has already fuelled talk that its parent company Renault could consider offers to sell the squad.

However, according to information gathered in recent weeks, any possible sale of the outfit would likely be on the condition that any new owner would continue to use Renault engine power for the foreseeable future.

The opening four races of the 2024 season have confirmed Alpine is in a difficult spot, with it standing last in the constructors’ championship on zero points with Sauber and Williams.

However, it appears to be the least competitive out of the three and, to make matters worse, it is not a customer outfit but a full-on works squad with car giant Renault behind it.

Back in February 2023, on the occasion of the presentation of its new F1 car for that season, the team leaders indicated ambitious objectives.

After finishing fourth in the 2022 constructors' championship, the new target was to finish on the podium as much as possible and get closer to the top three, which at that time was Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes.

Just more than one year on, the scenario is very different. In the intervening period, CEO Laurent Rossi, team principal Otmar Szafnauer and two historical figures of the team, sporting director Alan Permane and technical director Pat Fry, have gone.

And rather than the management changes having helped the squad move forwards, it has slumped backwards to the bottom of the rankings.

The reasons are very complex, and it is not surprising that its situation has prompted talk that parties are interested in a takeover. It is a market law that you buy when a company value is at its lowest.

Renault originally regained ownership of the Enstone facility in 2015 and started using the Alpine brand from 2021 – as a means of restoring the image of the French manufacturer’s historic sports car brand.

But being at the back is not good for selling cars, and if there are no signs of progress soon, then it is not hard to imagine that offers to buy may be taken more seriously.

But while finding buyers may not be a problem, one complication is the future of the Renault engine division.

And according to information gathered in the Suzuka paddock, one of the conditions of the sale of the team is the stipulation that the Renault power unit continues to be used for a specified number of seasons – believed to run until 2029.

This would ensure a future for the group of engine engineers who are already working on the new turbo hybrid power unit which will debut in 2026.

However, this constraint of using the Renault engine could reduce the number of potential buyers - since some interested parties want to involve the use of their own power units or those of other manufacturers with which there are already links.

A statement from Alpine said: “The rumours and stories about the team being for sale are false. The team is categorically not for sale.”
Old 04-11-2024, 09:31 AM

Then there's that: any new owner would continue to use Renault engine power for the foreseeable future
Which could be Andretti's toe in the door, since the Andretti article mentions Renault PU through 2028?
Old 04-11-2024, 10:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Saw a comment on the Andretti F1 deal from someone in F1 that essentially said that F1 adds more value to Andretti than Andretti does to F1, and that an 11th team would have to come out of the gate with some value to the sport [racing for points/podiums]. Seems like an unrealistic expectation & I don't recall Haas getting that treatment when they were a green team on the grid.
+1
Old 04-11-2024, 11:16 AM

Thus ends the Alonso speculation

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...cJlYUwtV61LsEH

Fernando Alonso will continue to race in Formula 1 with Aston Martin next season after the team announced that the two-time world champion has signed a fresh deal to keep him onboard into 2026 and the sport’s next regulatory cycle.

Alonso made the move to Aston Martin from Alpine for 2023 and the two parties enjoyed a strong start to their partnership by bagging six podium finishes across the first eight races of last year’s campaign.

Highlights included P2 finishes in Monaco, Canada and the Netherlands, as the Spaniard helped the team rise from seventh to fifth in the constructors’ standings under team owner Lawrence Stroll’s push to turn Aston Martin into a title-contending force.

Amid relatively stable regulations, and a converging field, Aston Martin have experienced a solid but unspectacular start to the 2024 season, remaining in fifth position behind Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes with a series of top-10 finishes.

Following on from the announcement of Lewis Hamilton’s shock switch to Ferrari for 2025, there was also plenty of speculation over Alonso’s future, initially regarding whether or not he would commit to another stint in F1 and, if so, if that would be with Aston Martin.

But both of those questions have now been answered, with news landing on Thursday afternoon that Alonso will extend his stay at the Silverstone outfit into a third campaign and beyond.

Aston Martin Team Principal Mike Krack said of the announcement: “Securing Fernando’s long-term future with Aston Martin Aramco is fantastic news. We have built a strong working relationship over the last 18 months and we share the same determination to see this project succeed.

“We have been in constant dialogue over the last few months and Fernando has been true to his word: when he decided he wanted to continue racing, he talked to us first. Fernando has shown he believes in us, and we believe in him.

“Fernando is hungry for success, driving better than ever, is fitter than ever, and is completely dedicated to making Aston Martin Aramco a competitive force.

“This multi-year agreement with Fernando takes us into 2026 when we begin our works power unit partnership with Honda. We look forward to creating more incredible memories and achieving further success together.”

Aston Martin sit fifth in the constructors’ standings after the opening four rounds of 2024, behind Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari and leaders Red Bull.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:23 AM
AZ Community Team

^ I had a feeling MB would pass on Alonso, he's a poor to limited development driver and not the best reputation as a team player from many prior teams as he aged. Still a helluva driver and can really work with car deficiencies.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:02 PM

Yeah, and to your point - once those car deficiencies no longer work for him, he will blame the car/team. It's really unfortunate since he's so talented.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:38 PM
AZ Community Team

^ exactly, which is probably why when he left Ferrari at the end of the last race there was no team sendoff party. At Ferrari at the before the start of the season during testing, the engineers would ask how the car was. Alonso would give rave comments, a few races later his was ranting to Luca how bad the car was. The Ferrari engineers grew tired of this as seasons went on. Honda had issues with him after his GP2 engine comments about their F1 engine.

Ironically there is at least one F1 engineer who does put up with Alonso, Bob Bell who just joined Aston Martin. Bell has worked with Alonso three different periods before at Renault.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...bell/10583845/
Old 04-12-2024, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Facebook Post
Old 04-12-2024, 02:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Rumors on Saitz to MB for 2025, hopefully MB will figure out their wind tunnel/CFD/car correlation problems by then.

Ferrari should put their full names on the cars

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-12-2024 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:59 PM
AZ Community Team

McLaren technical directors merry go round

Old 04-17-2024, 01:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Ex-Mercedes F1 Boss Reveals The Most Talented Driver

Interesting viewpoints of Schumacher, Hamilton, Rosberg,...
Can see why Ferrari wanted Hamilton after Vowles explained how Lewis works so many factors of the car setup.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-17-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:23 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Gonna be an interesting sprint race with Norris on pole.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:37 AM

Hopefully no more fires during the race(s).
Old 04-19-2024, 02:43 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Bizarre. Shouldn't be a problem with the wet track.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 92 Posts
After years of hearing my wife ask, “Who is Butt Ass?” every time Crofty says Bottas, I finally have my petty revenge. While he was with Mercedes, he did gifs for many different emojis. Now she gets several of these a day. There almost one for every occasion. It’s great!

Old 04-22-2024, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

waiting for actual exciting F1 race in '24
civicdrivr (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:23 AM

Had its moments, but not a rager.
Hulkenberg ties DeCesaris for most starts (208) without a win.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Gryphon
After years of hearing my wife ask, “Who is Butt Ass?” every time Crofty says Bottas, I finally have my petty revenge. While he was with Mercedes, he did gifs for many different emojis. Now she gets several of these a day. There almost one for every occasion. It’s great!

Ummm, you do know there are nekid pictures of him showing his nekid butt right? Maybe you should use one of those with your wife. It's easy to find if you Google the right words.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:29 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Had its moments, but not a rager.
Hulkenberg ties DeCesaris for most starts (208) without a win.
It was uneventful until the yellows and full course cautions came up.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:40 PM

This race proved three things:

1) Max is unstoppable
2) Red Bull can double stack (twice) faster than an average 2024 Sauber pit stop
3) Lawrence Stroll's son has no business being in an F1 car
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
00TL-P3.2 (04-22-2024), Legend2TL (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 02:01 PM

Hey now, Sauber rocked off a 3 sec stop, so a bit of improvement.
Genuinely think Bottas might have been around 10th-11th at the flag if his engine hadn't given up.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by F-C
Ummm, you do know there are nekid pictures of him showing his nekid butt right? Maybe you should use one of those with your wife. It's easy to find if you Google the right words.

I feel like that would only encourage her.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:24 PM
Racer

3) Lawrence Stroll's son has no business being in an F1 car
Unless it's in a contract somewhere, if Aramco buys Aston Martin, it seems like that would be the end of Lance in F1.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:04 PM

There's a lot of ifs, but I hope that comes to fruition. He's got a shitty attitude, takes responsibility for nothing, and isn't competitive.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:27 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Correct. Stroll is an okay driver but his attitude is the worst. Papa Stroll should make Lance work in an AM dealership during the off season.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

IIRC, Stroll's best results have all been 3rd place (3x); he's the beneficiary of Daddy's ownership of AM nothing else, particularly talent. If you look at his racing record ever since stepping in to the big leagues he hasn't won in years, he can't even win in IMSA. Just learned his real name is Strulovich and he's of Russian/Jewish descent on his father's side, Mom is Belgian.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Ferrari signs multi-year title deal with computer giant HP

AFAIK the 2nd time HP did a major F1 sponsorship, 1st was with Williams in the early 2000's.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/4...puter-giant-hp

​​​​​​​....In addition, the HP logo will make its debut on the Maranello F1 cars ahead of Miami Grand Prix scheduled for May 3-5, when the team will start competing as Scuderia Ferrari HP.....
Old 04-24-2024, 02:16 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

That was a good looking livery.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:20 PM
AZ Community Team

FWIW, I'm not a fan of Lance Stroll, his attitude is the worst but in his first F1 season with Williams he did come only 3 point behind his highly experienced teammate Massa (43 to 40) which was fairly good for a rookie season and placed 12th (behind Massa). His Williams race engineer didn't take any crap from Stroll (despite being a pay driver), and the berating went both ways between them. Can't recall the race engineer but IIRC he stuck with Stroll the following year, his main complaint was not Lance's mouth but he overdrove the car (much like Massa) which caused tire wear problems.

Since going to Racing Point/Aston Martin, the majority of his main teammates (Perez/Vettel/Alonso) have all out driven him fairly consistently.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-24-2024 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2024 Season News and Discussion Thread