SamDoe1's Home Improvement Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,841 Likes on 3,859 Posts
Not woodworking but my other hobby I haven't posted about in a while. I don't really make a ton of this stuff and I don't really sell it either but of all the leather goods I've made, this is BY FAR the most popular. I've probably made 20 of these so far compared to single digits for other items.

The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
BreezyTL (02-22-2024), CCColtsicehockey (02-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

Miter saw station mostly complete. Just need to embed the t-track for a stop block and then I'll be ready to go with it. I ran out of material for the drawer fronts but it doesn't stop me from using it. That sander will get wheeled out of there and into my back storage area. I don't use it that much so it doesn't need to be there all the time.

Next step is to clean everything up and get ready start my first actual project which is to build a bed for my daughter.

BreezyTL (03-18-2024), CCColtsicehockey (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,592 Likes on 6,636 Posts
Love the flip top cart! What's on the bottom?
Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Love the flip top cart! What's on the bottom?
Nothing at this point, just a bunch of junk that needs to go into the burn pile or something.

I built it with the expectation that I'd put something under it...still haven't figured out what that is yet lol. Some people put their planers underneath it but I definitely do not feel comfortable with that much weight hanging upside down from this cart.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:38 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,667 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Looking good. Love that you are going all in and building cabinets and everything right off the bat.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:11 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,149 Likes on 4,816 Posts
I especially like the grain matched doors on the uppers
The following users liked this post:
CCColtsicehockey (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
top, right drawer is crooked. I think you need a new level!
Old 03-19-2024, 08:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,149 Likes on 4,816 Posts
I can't unsee that now.

Sam should be ashamed of himself.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
We are all imperfect. Let it ride.
SamDoe1 (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 10:43 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Looking good. Love that you are going all in and building cabinets and everything right off the bat.
Mostly because I need a place to put all my shit!

This is close to the last of it though. Going to clean it up downstairs this afternoon (been gone all last week for work) and then the first real project will start next week, which is a big girl bed for the kiddo.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I especially like the grain matched doors on the uppers
Thanks, glad someone noticed. The fronts for the base cabinets are also all grain matched because I have OCD like that.

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
top, right drawer is crooked. I think you need a new level!
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I can't unsee that now.

Sam should be ashamed of himself.
Drawer is fine! Door underneath needs to get adjusted.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:44 AM
Ex-OEM King

While this project is not nearly as cool or large as the new garage build, I've finally started on my first actual furniture project in my new shop. I made my daughter's crib for her 3.5 years ago and she has now started to outgrow it and has requested that dad make a big girl bed for her...so that's what we're going to do. Plan is to make a full size bed frame with a relatively simple design along with a matching nightstand (to be made in the future). I got a set of plans from foureyes furniture because I suck at the design side of things and have gotten to work.

First step was to go get lumber to make these. Buying hit/miss planed full length lumber is MUCH cheaper than buying finished/processed lumber but requires the tools and time to process it at home. Thankfully I have the tools but need to find the time...I'm cheap though so we continue. I really wanted to do this cool ambrosia maple for the head/foot board parts but the wife shut that one down.

The initial plan was to do white oak (on the right) for the whole bed but it's expensive, almost 2x the cost of the plain hard maple (on the left) so that's what we went with. Total cost of lumber was about $410 so far for the bed alone.

Got all the pieces home (beyond thankful for having a truck now) and got to work milling it all close to final dimensions. All of the parts are left a little long and a little thicker so I can fine tune it closer to assembly time. The widths don't matter because all of these will get glued up into panels. In this pic you can see the hit/miss planed rough boards on the left vs the processed ones on the right (that I've written/drawn on). Some time with the track saw to cut to width, then the jointer for a clean face/edge, and the planer to clean the other face gets us most of the way. Then run it through the table saw to clean up the other edge and we're ready for panel glue up.

This thing is crazy expensive but is basically a cheat code for woodworking. If you have the means, it's worth every penny. Cutting in dominos for the panel glue up. These will hold all the boards flat to each other and eliminate much of any bend/bow between boards.

And that's where I left off last night. Turns out I ran out of glue and need to get more today lol. Thankfully HD is pretty close to the office so I'll swing through over lunch. Want to get the panels glued up tonight then cut to width and planed tomorrow night.

Just going through this process has highlighted a few flaws with the layout of my shop that I need to fix in order to be more functional. Something I plan on doing after this project is over...that and organizing everything after the move.

Stick around for the rest of this one!
The following 5 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (04-16-2024), BreezyTL (04-16-2024), CCColtsicehockey (04-16-2024), civicdrivr (04-17-2024), Gryphon (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Every layout has a few revisions after the first couple uses to minimize the wasted space or improve work flow. Can't wait to see the final product!
Old 04-16-2024, 02:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

Every layout has a few revisions after the first couple uses to minimize the wasted space or improve work flow. Can't wait to see the final product!
Definitely! I'll keep posting updates as I make progress.

The big layout change I need to make is to move my table saw and work bench next to each other so the workbench can work as an outfeed table and it frees up an entire wall of space for other stuff. On top of that, I can then also use my router table I built into the extension wing of the table and also be able to push longer boards through the saw, planer, and jointer. Right now I have a big dead space that isn't being used. Thankfully I left everything on wheels so it shouldn't be hard to do.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:03 PM

That is going to be an awesome project. She had you right where she wanted you. You never could have said no.

Stop showing me ore Festool stuff I want. That one is going to have to be far down the list for now though.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:03 PM

A buddy of mine told me to build everything on wheels so you can just move it around cause you are always changing your work flow.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

That is going to be an awesome project. She had you right where she wanted you. You never could have said no.

Stop showing me ore Festool stuff I want.That one is going to have to be far down the list for now though.
Oh absolutely. She's my only kid and only daughter so she'll get anything and everything she wants for the rest of time lol.

I can show you more Festool stuff if you want! There are some Festool things that are definitely not worth the money but the flip side for sure exists. Festool track saw is not worth the money for a new one vs a Bosch. I found a barely used one for the same price as a Bosch so I pulled the trigger. The sander is 10000000% worth it. The vacuum is also worth it but the biggest "worth it" item is the domino. It's literally a game changer in what you can do and how quickly you can do it.
CCColtsicehockey (04-17-2024), thoiboi (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM

That is high praise for the domino.

Unless you have other suggestions I think my first two purchases once the shop is finished is the Festool vacuum and a Dewalt Planer. Image the Vacuum should be a substantial increase in dust collection from my 5HP supposed Rigid shop vac I am currently using.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:01 PM
Ex-OEM King

What do you want to do with the Festool vac?

The biggest value of the Festool vac is that it's much quieter and has a HEPA filter to it. It also has a built in auto on function when you plug a tool into it. It has more suction but I'd recommend you try out what you have now before you go and drop big money on a Festool vac. I would say you'd get a lot more immediate value out of a Festool sander than the vac to be completely honest. You can always grab the vac in the future if you want.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-17-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
What do you want to do with the Festool vac?
Dust collect my contractor table saw, drill press, miter saw, and router table. Everything I read seems to say it is much more powerful than a shop vac.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Dust collect my contractor table saw, drill press, miter saw, and router table. Everything I read seems to say it is much more powerful than a shop vac.
You definitely want a big boi dust collector for the table saw and router table. Neither the Festool nor shop vac is going to do a good job with either of those tools.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:42 PM

You definitely want a big boi dust collector for the table saw and router table. Neither the Festool nor shop vac is going to do a good job with either of those tools.
The dust port on both is only the size of a standard shop vac hose. If the Festool is more powerful than my shop vac will it not do even better? I can't say I have a ton of problems with my table saw staying clean with the shop vac hooked up to it. Unless I just don't know what I am missing. I was just more hoping I could build it into the table so it is not out in the open. But maybe it is just worth getting nothing to start with them though cause I will likely stick with the contractor saw for a good while and add other tools before I replace it.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Oh, so you must have a jobsite saw then? The Festool vac would do fine there but so would the shop vac. For a router table you definitely want the high volume low pressure suction of a dust collector over a shop vac though. Especially so if you eventually want to upgrade to one that has top and bottom collection.

IMO, save your money from the Festool vac and get a bigger dust collector. That will more than future proof you and they are also much quieter than a shop vac. Depending on what work you decide you want to do once the shop gets set up can drive you in different upgrade paths. I'd advocate you getting a bigger/better table saw as a #1 upgrade to keep in mind.

FWIW I have the 1200cfm Rockler wall mount and it works awesome. Add in a separator and you're golden for a good long while.
CCColtsicehockey (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 AM

Oh, so you must have a jobsite saw then? The Festool vac would do fine there but so would the shop vac. For a router table you definitely want the high volume low pressure suction of a dust collector over a shop vac though. Especially so if you eventually want to upgrade to one that has top and bottom collection.

IMO, save your money from the Festool vac and get a bigger dust collector. That will more than future proof you and they are also much quieter than a shop vac. Depending on what work you decide you want to do once the shop gets set up can drive you in different upgrade paths. I'd advocate you getting a bigger/better table saw as a #1 upgrade to keep in mind.

FWIW I have the 1200cfm Rockler wall mount and it works awesome. Add in a separator and you're golden for a good long while.
Good advice. The only issue I have with the larger ones is last time we had this conversation you said I would need something much more powerful than that so that I could do a plumbed system and hide the unit. The place I wired for a future large scale dust collector is in a closet to cut down on the noise. I would love to jump into that set up from the get go but looks like I would be $4-5k into something like that.

I think based on this a planer will be my first pickup and then go from there on the shop. It should allow more choices of wood to use. I have spend countless hours dialing in the job site saw to make sure it is as true as can be and have even used it in a make shift way to square and resize lumber with multiple passes. My router table is such a cheap table it definitely will not be a permanent solution but for now it is effective enough. Still plan to build a flip top table to hold the table saw, router table, and planer.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

Yeah, you'll need something way more powerful if you want to plumb in a whole system in but getting a decent wall mount is not terribly expensive ($600-$700ish) and will get you started. You can see how it goes and either upgrade later or find that you don't want/need the bigger one in the future. Based on your tool set you can wall mount a dust collector and then just get a hose to run around to each tool as you need them. Because I'm not a production shop and am cheap this is what I do and it honestly works fine. Haven't come across anything that it doesn't work with yet.

Are you planning on getting the DeWalt DW735 planer? That one doesn't NEED a dust collector but it might help? I personally don't use a dust collector with it, just have a bag connected to the blower outlet and it works fine.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

First few panels for the headboard and footboard glued up. Next step will be to cut these to width and then a quick pass through the planer to even everything out. I have one more panel to glue up before I can start on the legs. Unfortunately don't have enough clamps to do more than one at a time...

civicdrivr (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:27 AM

Yeah, you'll need something way more powerful if you want to plumb in a whole system in but getting a decent wall mount is not terribly expensive ($600-$700ish) and will get you started. You can see how it goes and either upgrade later or find that you don't want/need the bigger one in the future. Based on your tool set you can wall mount a dust collector and then just get a hose to run around to each tool as you need them. Because I'm not a production shop and am cheap this is what I do and it honestly works fine. Haven't come across anything that it doesn't work with yet.

Are you planning on getting the DeWalt DW735 planer? That one doesn't NEED a dust collector but it might help? I personally don't use a dust collector with it, just have a bag connected to the blower outlet and it works fine.
Yes, I plan to get the DW735. Figure it should be plenty for me for a good while. I have watched the videos of the bag setup and plan to go that route.

I might have left myself a spot I can mount a wall duct collector. What is the hose length limit as it would like approach 20-25ft at some point. Is that fine if it is the only hose?
Old 04-18-2024, 09:33 AM
Ex-OEM King

Yup. I have a 4" 25ft hose attached to mine and it works just fine. You can run a single plumbed pipe from the collector to some other point further away and connect the hose to that if you want as well. One pipe is fine, many is where you run into problems. I just have mine mounted higher up on the wall in a corner of the room. No matter what you do, make sure you have a dust separator for every type of vacuum you have. Your filters and wallet will thank you.
CCColtsicehockey (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:12 PM

Yup. I have a 4" 25ft hose attached to mine and it works just fine. You can run a single plumbed pipe from the collector to some other point further away and connect the hose to that if you want as well. One pipe is fine, many is where you run into problems. I just have mine mounted higher up on the wall in a corner of the room. No matter what you do, make sure you have a dust separator for every type of vacuum you have. Your filters and wallet will thank you.
Ok great. Thanks! Also looks like something like this might help me simplify things as well. https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4...ction-manifold
Old 04-18-2024, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh absolutely. She's my only kid and only daughter so she'll get anything and everything she wants for the rest of time lol.

I can show you more Festool stuff if you want! There are some Festool things that are definitely not worth the money but the flip side for sure exists. Festool track saw is not worth the money for a new one vs a Bosch. I found a barely used one for the same price as a Bosch so I pulled the trigger. The sander is 10000000% worth it. The vacuum is also worth it but the biggest "worth it" item is the domino. It's literally a game changer in what you can do and how quickly you can do it.
That's so interesting, I've heard differing opinions on the track saw- that it was absolutely worth the money. I think the opinion on the domino is conclusive though, no one is arguing that it's worth it, way better than a cheap biscuit joiner
Old 04-18-2024, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok great. Thanks! Also looks like something like this might help me simplify things as well. https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4...ction-manifold
Don't be cheap, do it right https://shop.ivacswitch.com/collections/blast-gates

I love my iVac control that i use on my portable dust collector. When I upgrade to an actual woodworking garage, I will incorporate blast gates into it as well.

I also love spending other people's money
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
CCColtsicehockey (04-18-2024), civicdrivr (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:01 PM

Don't be cheap, do it right https://shop.ivacswitch.com/collections/blast-gates

I love my iVac control that i use on my portable dust collector. When I upgrade to an actual woodworking garage, I will incorporate blast gates into it as well.

I also love spending other people's money
I also love the pastime of spending other peoples money

I mean I guess if you were to put the blast gates up high enough by the mainline it should constitute a single run but not sure. Although, I am sure the answer is easily out there.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:09 AM
Ex-OEM King

Keep it simply until you figure things out. I wouldn't even bother with that thing. The more connections you have, the more losses in the system. Moving a hose from tool to tool isn't really a big deal if you get one of the quick connector things. Look into a mag lock type one as well as the Rockler one, it's super easy and way cheaper. Save your money for things like a track saw and domino.
That's so interesting, I've heard differing opinions on the track saw- that it was absolutely worth the money. I think the opinion on the domino is conclusive though, no one is arguing that it's worth it, way better than a cheap biscuit joiner
A track saw in itself is absolutely worth the money. They are big game changers in ease and workflow but getting a Festool one over a Bosch one...I'd buy the Bosch for a lot less money and similar performance. They even use the same track system so everything is compatible. A new Festool TS55 with 55" track will set you back ~$800 while a Bosch with 55" track will be about $600. I was able to get an essentially brand new (used once) TS55 with two tracks, track couplers, two track clamps, and some extra blades for $550 so it was a no brainer. If I were to go new, Bosch would get the nod every time.

I also love the pastime of spending other peoples money

I mean I guess if you were to put the blast gates up high enough by the mainline it should constitute a single run but not sure. Although, I am sure the answer is easily out there.
Don't overcomplicate things lol. You're not running a production shop where time matters and all your shit is on wheels anyway. Having a plumbed system may actually be worse than just a hose you can move around from tool to tool. I'm all for fun expensive tool purchases but dust collection is one where keeping it simple is advantageous. Don't buy in to the youtube hype with this one.
CCColtsicehockey (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

@CCColtsicehockey if you really want to spend some cash, go start buying Woodpeckers tools.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:08 PM

I will happily help and suggest others buy those but not me right now
Old 04-24-2024, 10:31 AM
Ex-OEM King

@CCColtsicehockey to validate this statement I just emptied 2x 30gal trash bags of dust and chips from my separators and barely any from the filters/bags in the collectors themselves. The festool filters/bags are expensive AF too, thankfully they just launched a reusable one.

One of those bags was all from the planer alone after surfacing all that wood.
CCColtsicehockey (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM

Sounds like I definitely need one of those. I had at least splurged for the filter I could clean for my RIGID shop vac.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

After a week of funerals, travel, and being sick, I'm now back into working on this bed. Got the legs cut and shaped. Used a table saw sled to cut the joint faces and a router to template route the final shaping. Also realized I need a better band saw but that's a problem for the future.

Next step will be to do a quick pass on the jointer for the faces to remove the burning and any saw marks before cutting in dominos to get the head and foot boards completed. Hope to get the panels ready for dry fit and sanding this week and weekend...then there will be hours and hours of sanding to do.

Also, routers are messy. Unfortunately there's no good way to have dust collection on these things.

CCColtsicehockey (04-29-2024), civicdrivr (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:35 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
You are overwhelming me.