The BIG recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 558 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
I've heard of TLX's not developing a knock until ~101k miles (https://www.tlxforums.com/threads/ro...4/#post-336330), so quality oil with low mileage change intervals will only prolong the inevitable. I guess you've had bad experiences at dealerships, which is unfortunate, but not taking it in to be looked at is likely to bite you in the @ss later. .
Not to sound arrogant, but I have a degree in automotive technology and used to be an ASE certified flat rate technician. So, that has a lot to do with why I do my own work and avoid dealers, who have a self serving focus on making money.

You do make a good point as far as problems arising after 100k. I just find it far fetched that a machining issue would take that long to show up. I build and rebuild j series motors as a hobby, so I am familiar with the material used in stock bearings. When I build my motors I use either ACL race or King XP bearings. Which are a superior tri-metal material.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 619rcr
Not to sound arrogant, but I have a degree in automotive technology and used to be an ASE certified flat rate technician. So, that has a lot to do with why I do my own work and avoid dealers, who have a self serving focus on making money.

You do make a good point as far as problems arising after 100k. I just find it far fetched that a machining issue would take that long to show up. I build and rebuild j series motors as a hobby, so I am familiar with the material used in stock bearings. When I build my motors I use either ACL race or King XP bearings. Which are a superior tri-metal material.
Wonderful, you do your own work! It seems safe to presume you'd never make the type of mistake a dealer's ASE certified technician might make. While I see your point that they are interested in making money, if customers continually have a negative, swindling experience I would suspect it would work against their goal of making money and if severe enough may result in Acura, or others, coming down on them.

That said, let's say the machining issue did take that long to arise. Now that it's raised its ugly head, would there be the potential for more internals to require repair/replacement which may otherwise not have been needed had the bearing wear been caught and addressed earlier? It would seem based on the TSB guidance that that may be the case due to the different components which must be inspected and repairs are dependent on what they find as a result of those inspections.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:04 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Got my Acura "parts are now available, call your dealer" letter. Both DFW dealers gave me the - "we actually dont have parts on hand" response. Pretty sure priority going to those cars on the lot that cannot be sold until this is fixed
Old 04-03-2024, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
You should call Acura Client Services to confirm whatever the case may be. Acura dealers are required to prioritize customer vehicles over their own inventory. If they are not, maybe Acura Client Services can help iron things out so that you get this recall completed.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:37 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
You should call Acura Client Services to confirm whatever the case may be. Acura dealers are required to prioritize customer vehicles over their own inventory. If they are not, maybe Acura Client Services can help iron things out so that you get this recall completed.
They were not much help and couldn't tell me whether or not dealers had parts
Old 04-08-2024, 02:21 PM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I called John Eagle Acura in west Houston on 4/1 and they told me they did not have adequate parts. They said if the car started making noise to call them and bring it in. So, it sounds like they have some parts and are prioritizing cars in danger of seizing. I'm ok with that. 2015 TLX V6 Tech, original owner, I love my car. When they have adequate parts we will get a second letter.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:13 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
My wife got an e-mail from Radley Acura this morning and she just made an appointment for the end of this month. They are going to be giving her a loaner "for a couple days" (her words). 2015 TLX V-6 SH-AWD Advance.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
My wife got an e-mail from Radley Acura this morning and she just made an appointment for the end of this month. They are going to be giving her a loaner "for a couple days" (her words). 2015 TLX V-6 SH-AWD Advance.
That's good atleast. Radley was the one who told me they didn't have the parts yet and no instructions on how to do it, yet, Pohanka in Chantilly had everything ready to go and was able to get my car serviced with a loaner as well. I'm glad they have the parts and instructions now..
Old 04-15-2024, 02:06 PM

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

As noted above, my wife is scheduled to drop off her TLX for the recall work on April 30. Also as noted above, it's a 2015 V-6 SH-AWD Advance. It has around 65,000 or so miles on the odometer (not sure exactly, but less than 70,000). The timing belt has not been replaced.

So I suggested she ask the service advisor about what it would cost to have the timing belt replaced at the same time, under the theory that the engine is going to be pulled and presumably partly or substantially disassembled anyway. It seems like the ideal time to do the timing belt and, in theory, it ought to reduce the labor cost unless they simply go by the number of hours the book says and just add it to the total. The service advisor got back to her and quoted an estimate of $2200 to replace the timing belt and water pump (I don't have the full text of her message because it's on my wife's phone, but I could get it from her if anyone thinks it's relevant). Even recognizing that I drive a 2004 TL and the 2015 TLX is presumably more expensive to maintain overall, I thought the $2200 estimate seemed very high, especially if the work is to be done at the same time as the recall. I will also mention that I have very little confidence in the particular service advisor to whom they assigned her this time. I've dealt with her before and I intensely dislike her, to the point where I would refuse to let her handle my service appointment and I would take the car somewhere else. My wife generally agrees with disliking that advisor and is thinking about calling another advisor with whom she has dealt and whom we have both found to be very reliable.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:20 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 134 Posts
Check the TSB on the forum, the timing belt may only have to come off in certain instances. $2200 looks like no labor was deducted for being shared work. Agree SA's vary a lot in their knowledge and honesty so I'd suggest asking specifically how much was deducted for shared work, and would it be different costs depending on how extensive the teardown ends up being on the car. If the SA seems clueless then work with another one.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mvl
Check the TSB on the forum, the timing belt may only have to come off in certain instances. $2200 looks like no labor was deducted for being shared work. Agree SA's vary a lot in their knowledge and honesty so I'd suggest asking specifically how much was deducted for shared work, and would it be different costs depending on how extensive the teardown ends up being on the car. If the SA seems clueless then work with another one.
Thanks. The other service advisor, the one we've found reliable, called her back and said there is "no overlap" between the recall work and the timing belt and said there is no advantage to getting them done at the same time (other than, obviously, reducing the number of service visits). So my wife is inclined to "wait," although I may push her to explore other options for getting it done somewhere else sooner rather than later given that it is nine years old.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Check with your local Honda dealership. They usually provide the exact same service for significantly less money.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:06 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall Completed, but now....

I had my recall completed, but now I am getting a fault for the catalytic converter, and after my "Free" recall service, dealer wants over $2000 to replace one of the 2 catalytic converters. Seems strange it would fail as soon as I pick it up. Of course it also whines about the parking brake system, so the display is really annouying. Any suggestions other than shelling out $2000?
Old 04-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by welchwarlock
I had my recall completed, but now I am getting a fault for the catalytic converter, and after my "Free" recall service, dealer wants over $2000 to replace one of the 2 catalytic converters. Seems strange it would fail as soon as I pick it up. Of course it also whines about the parking brake system, so the display is really annouying. Any suggestions other than shelling out $2000?
If all you have is a catalyst below threshold code, there is a cheap way to alter the signal being sent to the ecu by placing an extension between the cat and downstream 02 sensor. The extensions are about $5-10. The most difficult thing will be unthreading the 02 sensor and adding the extension before threading back in. This is a common trick for those running pcds. ktuner also worked on some of the older hondas / acuras. But, its much more expensive. GL
Old 04-19-2024, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free Recall Repair? Not if the Dealer can help it.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

As noted above, my wife is scheduled to drop off her TLX for the recall work on April 30. Also as noted above, it's a 2015 V-6 SH-AWD Advance. It has around 65,000 or so miles on the odometer (not sure exactly, but less than 70,000). The timing belt has not been replaced.

So I suggested she ask the service advisor about what it would cost to have the timing belt replaced at the same time, under the theory that the engine is going to be pulled and presumably partly or substantially disassembled anyway. It seems like the ideal time to do the timing belt and, in theory, it ought to reduce the labor cost unless they simply go by the number of hours the book says and just add it to the total. The service advisor got back to her and quoted an estimate of $2200 to replace the timing belt and water pump (I don't have the full text of her message because it's on my wife's phone, but I could get it from her if anyone thinks it's relevant). Even recognizing that I drive a 2004 TL and the 2015 TLX is presumably more expensive to maintain overall, I thought the $2200 estimate seemed very high, especially if the work is to be done at the same time as the recall. I will also mention that I have very little confidence in the particular service advisor to whom they assigned her this time. I've dealt with her before and I intensely dislike her, to the point where I would refuse to let her handle my service appointment and I would take the car somewhere else. My wife generally agrees with disliking that advisor and is thinking about calling another advisor with whom she has dealt and whom we have both found to be very reliable.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I am having a similar experience right now. My 2018 TLX 61k miles went in the shop for the Big Recall repair yesterday. Could take a few hours, or a few days. Today they called and said it's going to take until the end of next week due to crankshaft replacement. Fine, I will use the A-spec loaner until then. Then they said they noticed some "non-safety type repairs that they can do while they have the car: $600, filters, alignment, fluids." I said not necessary, I'll just take the car back next week.

Then they called again and said, "while we have the engine out, we can do the timing belt replacement much cheaper, since most of the cost is removing the engine anyway, and Acura is paying for that as part of the recall. So I figured, since they are removing the timing belt anyway, just buy a new timing belt and replace it, very simple and cheap. Nope, they have to do all the associated service as well: serpentine belt, water pump, coolant flush, spark plugs, etc.

"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280." It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by welchwarlock

I'm pretty sure when I get my car back, I'm going to start getting some strange error messages just like you. Hope you can figure out an alternative to eating the $2k.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Robs2019TLX
I miss my 2019 TLX 3.5 FWD pretty badly right now.. This 23 aspec loaner is nice but I prefer my other car to this one as this thing guzzles gas even driving it economically. My TLX 3.5 was getting 28-29MPG city and I hit 39MPG on the highway going to the beach last summer. This thing can barely break 25MPG on the hwy ugh.

Did you try putting it in "Comfort Mode"? I have the A-spec loaner too. I had it on Sport mode, but now that I'll have it for another week I'm moving it to Comfort. It's slower, but should save some gas.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 250kmiler
I am having a similar experience right now. My 2018 TLX 61k miles went in the shop for the Big Recall repair yesterday. Could take a few hours, or a few days. Today they called and said it's going to take until the end of next week due to crankshaft replacement. Fine, I will use the A-spec loaner until then. Then they said they noticed some "non-safety type repairs that they can do while they have the car: $600, filters, alignment, fluids." I said not necessary, I'll just take the car back next week.

Then they called again and said, "while we have the engine out, we can do the timing belt replacement much cheaper, since most of the cost is removing the engine anyway, and Acura is paying for that as part of the recall. So I figured, since they are removing the timing belt anyway, just buy a new timing belt and replace it, very simple and cheap. Nope, they have to do all the associated service as well: serpentine belt, water pump, coolant flush, spark plugs, etc.

"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280." It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.
This just proves my point earlier. Dealers and repair shops are there to make money. Bringing your car in regardless of whether it's a free warranty repair presents the opportunity to find something to sell.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,399 Posts
"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280."

That is ridiculous!
The below displays the 18 TLX V6 'OEM' timing belt component cost (before sales tax / shipping) WITHOUT the 19200-RDV-J01 water pump because, for some strange reason, it is listed as 'discontinued' on APW?
Though a compatible Aisin WP can be had on RA for $71 before shipping.

Now, here is the 18 TLX COMPLETE Aisin TB component kit from RA before shipping.
The same components without the fancy Acura / Honda box branding.
I'd like to see the expression on the service tech's face if you showed up with one of these and had them factor the 'reduction' into their lowered final of $2,280?

It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.
I'd be pissed off as well as a result of that simpleton service adviser thinking that you would be so gullible.
After 18 years of loyal returns they should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta

That is ridiculous!
The below displays the 18 TLX V6 'OEM' timing belt component cost (before sales tax / shipping) WITHOUT the 19200-RDV-J01 water pump because, for some strange reason, it is listed as 'discontinued' on APW?
Though a compatible Aisin WP can be had on RA for $71 before shipping.

Now, here is the 18 TLX COMPLETE Aisin TB component kit from RA before shipping.
The same components without the fancy Acura / Honda box branding.
I'd like to see the expression on the service tech's face if you showed up with one of these and had them factor the 'reduction' into their lowered final of $2,280?

I'd be pissed off as well as a result of that simpleton service adviser thinking that you would be so gullible.
After 18 years of loyal returns they should be ashamed of themselves.

This is amazing, thanks for doing that research. That's exactly what I asked, can't they just replace the timing belt since they were removing it anyway. I'm very disappointed in the dealership. Actually my original dealership of 15 years was acquired by this new one about 3 years ago, so I can't say I've been with this new one for that long. It's a shame.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (04-21-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

Still waiting to get my 2018 TLX back from Recall repair, it's been 9 days! I wonder if it's easier to just let me keep the A-spec loaner and let them keep mine...
Old 04-30-2024, 12:41 PM

My wife dropped off her TLX this morning for the recall work. They estimated three to five days. She asked them to do the Virginia safety inspection while it's in but to wait until no earlier than tomorrow because it's due in May and she doesn't want to get it done early (I say who cares, just get it done when it's in). She has a 2023 as a loaner but I won't have the chance to check it out until after work. She was complaining about all the controls being different from what she's used to.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

My wife dropped off her TLX this morning for the recall work. They estimated three to five days. She asked them to do the Virginia safety inspection while it's in but to wait until no earlier than tomorrow because it's due in May and she doesn't want to get it done early (I say who cares, just get it done when it's in). She has a 2023 as a loaner but I won't have the chance to check it out until after work. She was complaining about all the controls being different from what she's used to.

I'm STILL waiting for my 2018 TLX to get fixed from the Big Recall. Mine was one of the "few" that needed the entire crankshaft replaced, crazy. It went in 4/18, and today is 4/30 and still not ready. I'm just going to wait for them to call. I don't like the A-Spec loaner because the mileage is so bad.