Driver Power Seat Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver Power Seat Not Working

Hey all, my driver power seat will not move forward, backward, or tilt. The lumbar support works perfectly fine. Even if I try to help move the seat, the motors don't even sound like they are attempting to engage. On top of that, the memory seat switch seems to be completely dead, there are no leds that light up when pressing buttons, and the night lighting does not work either. I'd remove the seat to try testing out the memory module and switch, but I can't access the rear seat bolts because the seat won't move and the seat rails are completely covering the bolts and covers. I've checked the relevant fuses under the hood as well as the interior fuse box and all seem to be fine, and my windshield sprayer still works, along with my power mirrors. However, the reverse tilt on them does not work. So I guess my first question is, does this sound like a bad memory module or seat switch? Would a bad memory module cause the seat to not move at all? Is there a way I can get these out without being able to move the seat?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:53 PM
8th Gear

So, good news. I figured out the problem. A broken wire on the seat harness that plugs into the power seat control unit on connector 20P. I decided to try reaching under the seat and unplugging the plugs I could reach and plugging them back in to make sure something wasn't loose. After doing that, the seat was able to move, though only about an inch or two at a time. After sliding the seat full forward so that I could get a better look, I discovered that there was a broken wire on the connector. The problem here, was that I now couldn't get the wire to connect long enough to slide the seat back, so it was stuck on full forward, about 20 min before I needed to go home from work, since I was working on it in my free time there. Luckily I work at a dealership and can borrow a car for the night, and will be taking tools to work in the morning and repairing the harness. Lucky I was able to get the seat out with the help of a swivel extension. Hopefully that is the only issue, as every direction in the seat switch worked when I was able to move it, though the memory seat switch still seems to be dead. Picture of break attached. You can also see the red wire is starting to break as well, and the black wire on the bottom is also disconnected from the pin. Will post update tomorrow if I get it repaired.

The following users liked this post:
Jackass (04-29-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 PM
8th Gear

Forgot to post my update yesterday. Repaired the broken brown wire, re-pinned the black wire, and the red wire with the cut in it fully broke while repairing the other two as well. After fixing those three, everything works perfectly, including all directional movement of the seat, the seat memory, and the mirror reverse tilt.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my seat recline decided to quit working on me at lunch. Do you remember how hard it was to repin the wires? I always have trouble removing pins.