RDX service bulletin: sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
RDX service bulletin: sunroof

Hey everyone, not sure if anyone’s had the issue with the sunroof making noise. Well, they came out with a service bulletin to replace them completely. Even if they tighten them, they still loosen up so they have a new sunroof being installed in vehicles. We are having ours done next week. But my service manager came to me the other day and showed me the bulletin. Not sure what years it was but if you’re having issues with a popping noise from your sunroof seer dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by thedeathprojects:
EFR (08-13-2023), RDX10 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 876 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by thedeathprojects
Hey everyone, not sure if anyone’s had the issue with the sunroof making noise. Well, they came out with a service bulletin to replace them completely. Even if they tighten them, they still loosen up so they have a new sunroof being installed in vehicles. We are having ours done next week. But my service manager came to me the other day and showed me the bulletin. Not sure what years it was but if you’re having issues with a popping noise from your sunroof seer dealer.
This is wonderful news, I wonder if they'll extend this to vehicles just out of warranty/extend the warranty on it like they did the 2G MDX Magnetic shocks.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Question on the noise. I just recently got my 2019. It makes a noise that is quite loud when I turn into driveways. Seems to come from the headliner area somewhere behind the front seats. I do not know if it is this pop you mention. Can you describe the sound to look for that would be the sunroof pop you are referring to?
Old 08-13-2023, 03:24 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rmeastma
Question on the noise. I just recently got my 2019. It makes a noise that is quite loud when I turn into driveways. Seems to come from the headliner area somewhere behind the front seats. I do not know if it is this pop you mention. Can you describe the sound to look for that would be the sunroof pop you are referring to?
Ditto. Ours made a pop, or however best described, when we backed out of our driveway and into/over the rain gutter/drain, as well out of the headliner area. Is that the noise?
Old 08-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 308 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rmeastma
What years and vins are affected?

too me - That’s a typical pan-roof structure slight movement - normal. Never had an issue with mine, plus never use it. Wish it was a solid, insulated roof. Put the money into better brakes.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 695 Likes on 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
What years and vins are affected?

too me - That’s a typical pan-roof structure slight movement - normal. Never had an issue with mine, plus never use it. Wish it was a solid, insulated roof. Put the money into better brakes.

Mine pops occasionally when car flexes over turn with bump. In almost 4 years has not been a problem. I am not sure I want them to take apart sunroof, you never know if they do a good job.
The following users liked this post:
Texasrdx21 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, on all counts… Typically it does it when it’s cooler in the morning. For instance, when you go into a driveway or out of a driveway and the chassis flexes you hear popping overhead. They fixed it the first time by tightening the sunroof screws. It’s a known issue. Well I guess that doesn’t work anymore. Lol mine is doing it again maybe six months later?

i’ll have to get more information tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thedeathprojects
Yes, on all counts… Typically it does it when it’s cooler in the morning. For instance, when you go into a driveway or out of a driveway and the chassis flexes you hear popping overhead. They fixed it the first time by tightening the sunroof screws. It’s a known issue. Well I guess that doesn’t work anymore. Lol mine is doing it again maybe six months later?

i’ll have to get more information tomorrow.
The RDX structure is pretty solid, but flexes a bit (normal) when going out driveways or where the wheels are at different positions over large bump going slow. Never had a leak or issue - super solid for my 2021 RDX.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Anyone know if there is also a Canadian TSB for this and if it covers out of warranty? I was in last month for a service and am just out of warranty and the service advisor told me to call Acura to see if they'll cover it.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:13 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
My concern, as the popping started not that long ago, is if it is flexing enough to cause what is a pretty loud noise, would it be flexing enough to break the sunroof also at some point.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EFR
My concern, as the popping started not that long ago, is if it is flexing enough to cause what is a pretty loud noise, would it be flexing enough to break the sunroof also at some point.
yep, that is what I am worried about, noise itself is not common and does not bother me as much. I’ll have to see talk to dealer, do they require reproducibility of the issue? Its not so easy to make it pop, depends on temperature and where/how you drive
Old 08-14-2023, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

TSB was updated

“It was determined that, in some cases, the panoramic roof frame mounting bolts are unable to maintain the necessary clamp force. This can allow shifting, which may lead to a pop noise”

requires new frame replacement. 5 hour job.

do they try to replicate it? Its not so easy sometimes
Old 08-15-2023, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 876 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
TSB was updated

“It was determined that, in some cases, the panoramic roof frame mounting bolts are unable to maintain the necessary clamp force. This can allow shifting, which may lead to a pop noise”

requires new frame replacement. 5 hour job.

do they try to replicate it? Its not so easy sometimes
They may have to replicate it to send to Acura HQ for approval. When I worked at Nissan as a service advisor a very common problem was the 5.6L engines in the titan having piston failure which required a whole new engine and we had to take a continuous video showing the vin, the sound under the hood, and the sound next to the driver side wheel well.

However if my Service manager liked a customer he would find a way to make it happen lol.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10
They may have to replicate it to send to Acura HQ for approval.
Its tricky, depends on a temperature and type of uneven surface you are turning. Usually its getting on/off driveway, but its random…. I sometimes get it and sometimes dont on the same driveway.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
EFR (08-16-2023), rmeastma (08-15-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Is there a way to get a copy of the bulletin?
Old 08-16-2023, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
It's in the list of service bulletins posted by EE4Life in the sticky threads posted above.

​​​​​​http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B23-004.PDF
Old 04-23-2024, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsb 24-004

I have the pop noise sound from the moonroof on my 2022 Rdx when the frame flex when parking etc… my only concern is can it break the glass or it just a small noise that is intermittent . I’m afraid that if I proceed with the replacement with tsb 23-004, I might have other problem as water leak, speaker problem ( speaker beside the moonroof , that will be remove with the roof linner during repair process , etc) anyone have make the tsb, the noise is really gone ? No more poping noise during small bump entering parking lot ? Thanks !
Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Marich18
I have the pop noise sound from the moonroof on my 2022 Rdx when the frame flex when parking etc… my only concern is can it break the glass or it just a small noise that is intermittent . I’m afraid that if I proceed with the replacement with tsb 23-004, I might have other problem as water leak, speaker problem ( speaker beside the moonroof , that will be remove with the roof linner during repair process , etc) anyone have make the tsb, the noise is really gone ? No more poping noise during small bump entering parking lot ? Thanks !
I had mine in at Acura of Johnston to have this fixed a few weeks ago. The pop noise is indeed gone, although I did have to fish a loose bolt out of the headliner after the job with one of those “magnets on a stick.”
Old 04-23-2024, 02:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Marich18
I have had that pop noise intermittently for years on my 2021 (built in 11/2020), typical when cold out and driving out of a driveway with an indent. After reading the service advisor info, it doesn't seem to affect the safety, integrity or seal of the roof. Never had a leaning or air issue. I will leave "good enough" alone, as ripping out the head liner is a big just - just to add some more clips.