Intermittent low-beam headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 03:51 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intermittent low-beam headlight

I have a 2001 Acura TL with an intermittent low-beam headlight issue. One of my headlights will come on initially but may extinguish itself within 15-30 minutes of drive time.

Recycling the headlights from the steering column usually (but not always) will restore its operation.

When that doesn’t work, waiting a few hours will restore its operation.

By doing a little swapping of headlight components (bulb, igniter, & relay) from driver and passenger sides, I have narrowed the problem down to what I could not swap, the ballast.

Replacing the ballast is very expensive, not just in parts. The front bumper needs to be removed to get to the ballast.

In my troubleshooting, I discovered when I pulled a headlight relay and attempted to turn on the headlights from the steering column, the disengaged headlight flickered continuously (if the headlight was previously in an operational state). I can only assume based on 2003 TL diagram that I found, a fraction of the 12v supply was bleeding back to the ballast through a hi-beam filament. I’ve been unable to locate a headlight wiring diagram for my 2001 TL.

Anybody have a 2001 TL headlight wiring schematic? Is it different than the 2003 TL?

Anybody ever seen intermittent behavior like this?

I’m thinking of replacing the HID with an aftermarket LED. Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-20-2024, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,592 Likes on 6,636 Posts
Originally Posted by vaguy
I have a 2001 Acura TL with an intermittent low-beam headlight issue. One of my headlights will come on initially but may extinguish itself within 15-30 minutes of drive time.

Recycling the headlights from the steering column usually (but not always) will restore its operation.

When that doesn’t work, waiting a few hours will restore its operation.

By doing a little swapping of headlight components (bulb, igniter, & relay) from driver and passenger sides, I have narrowed the problem down to what I could not swap, the ballast.

Replacing the ballast is very expensive, not just in parts. The front bumper needs to be removed to get to the ballast.

In my troubleshooting, I discovered when I pulled a headlight relay and attempted to turn on the headlights from the steering column, the disengaged headlight flickered continuously (if the headlight was previously in an operational state). I can only assume based on 2003 TL diagram that I found, a fraction of the 12v supply was bleeding back to the ballast through a hi-beam filament. I’ve been unable to locate a headlight wiring diagram for my 2001 TL.

Anybody have a 2001 TL headlight wiring schematic? Is it different than the 2003 TL?

Anybody ever seen intermittent behavior like this?

I’m thinking of replacing the HID with an aftermarket LED. Any thoughts on that?

get a replacement Matsushita hid repair kit from theretrofitsource.com

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ma...AIR?quantity=1

Old 04-20-2024, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 255 Posts
Hi! how were you able to switch the igniter? it plugs into the ballast inside the headlight; very difficult to get the two apart/together properly without removing the headlamp, bumper etc.

I would only change what's not working properly. if you start replacing many parts, you'll quickly find that you need to replace items in pairs which makes it pricey to repair.

You should be able to perform the diagnostic procedure detailed in the user manual without removing the headlamp, but it may be a little tricky. it will tell you for certain which part it is; though I lean toward the ignitor.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:34 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The igniter has a cable and socket to mate with the cable and connector from the ballast. All of this is in the cap surrounding the HID, easily accessible once the cap is opened as if you were replacing the HID. Doesn't sound like you have the same make/model car if you think the ignitor can't be easily disconnected. Can you send me troubleshooting instructions you refer to.
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 255 Posts
Ah yes, I see the difference now. The manual doesn't show much on the 99-01 light. also sounds like there aren't many options for aftermarket components to fit with the existing system. You might need to either source a part from a junkyard or ebay or replace the whole system as thoiboi has suggested.

service manual:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1...manual-977767/